Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best Football Memories  (Read 20791 times)
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 21:30:28 »

Indeed.....it was the one and only time i have ever been scared in amongst Town fans that night.

It was mental.
Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 21:30:43 »

In recent times Leeds in the league was outstanding also.

A fantastic day that.

It's not that I'm lazy.  It's that I just don't care.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 21:31:33 »

Onoura's debut was pretty good, away at QPR, Digby got sent off, Macdonald (RIP) went in goal. Onoura scored the winner. 2-1. Good fun.

Singing I I Iffy Iffy I. Superb atmosphere in the cramped lower tier away end that day. Never a sending off for Diggers either.
Topcat

« Reply #18 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 21:32:04 »

I heard stories about the train and didn't a school take some punishment as well
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 21:34:35 »

It has to be 1979 when swindon drew at Highbury in front of 8000 Town fans massed behing the goal at the clock end. Who can forget the moment when Billy Tucker headed home the equaliser after 84 minutes sending the masses dressed in donkey jackets & Dr Martins wild. Then after the final whistle trying to find our coach amongst the 90+ we counted which came from all over wilshire A week later things got even better as we won the replay against Pat Jennings, Liam Brady, Frank Stapleton and more 4-3 aet
Brilliant!!!!
It has to be 1979 when swindon drew at Highbury in front of 8000 Town fans massed behing the goal at the clock end. Who can forget the moment when Billy Tucker headed home the equaliser after 84 minutes sending the masses dressed in donkey jackets & Dr Martins wild. Then after the final whistle trying to find our coach amongst the 90+ we counted which came from all over wilshire A week later things got even better as we won the replay against Pat Jennings, Liam Brady, Frank Stapleton and more 4-3 aet
Brilliant!!!!
Brilliant!!!!

I think this could just shade it for me ad well and I love the reference to the DM's and Donkey Jackets.

The day started off by bunking off school early and catching the train to Paddington from Didcot. The tubes were jammed with Swindon fans and Highbury was not expecting the numbers.

One nil down to an Alan Sunderland penalty but "Windy" Miller was giving Sammy Nelson a torrid time on the wing. Corner in the clock end 85th minute and big Billy Tucker rose above a static defence to power home a header.

All went suddenly black as I was piled amongst many bodies with my 8 hole brown DM's intact.😄

Never will forget that moment for sure and can still see it.

To me that was a special moment but Andy Andy Rowland scored that special goal in extra time to put us into the semi final.

I used to love the games against Gilliscum in those days.
Catching the train was always lively as you can imagine. The 3-1 Gills came 100 Swindon skins came running at us near the old bus station shouting .... I thought we were dead but then they were shouting at us to help them turn a mini bus over on its side.....as it went over we carried on to the station unscathed.
Those days were rather different.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 21:43:24 »

Chris Kamara's debut and early goal in the bank vs Pompey the team he signed from.

For days he was receiving death threats and when he scored he ran the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the TE.

Then Pompey started a riot. We won 3-1 and was another memorable moment.

Dagenham away mentioned in this thread but Boreham Wood late 70's or early 80's FACup 1st round. 0-0 was one of the most frightening games I ever went to even worse than the trips to the old Den.

leefer

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 21:45:38 »

Been to Pompey many times....a night match under the lights was always an amazing footy experience....bell and all.
Topcat

« Reply #22 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 21:50:25 »

Ipswich away in 85 was a great experience and although we were hammered 6-1 we outsang them and were very lively after the final whistle
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 21:52:11 »

Got to mention the Peterboro game where Danny Invincible scored a last minute winner that kept us up, when Wovers got beat a few days later.

When that goal went in a shiver went down my spine, for the only time at a game.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 21:52:46 »

The Special!!.........Wrexham away.

September 1977 .  . Seems like yesterday.
Burgervan,plastic fork,police dog .
Apparentley the in house fighting on the train was sparked off when the Gorse hill mafia got beat by the Tin town boys in a friendly game of 3 card.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 21:53:53 »

Ipswich away in 85 was a great experience and although we were hammered 6-1 we outsang them and were very lively after the final whistle

Simlarly the 9000 Town fans at Old Trafford in '96, who outsung the Man U plastics.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 22:10:55 »

Simlarly the 9000 Town fans at Old Trafford in '96, who outsung the Man U plastics.

Fab atmosphere that night.

Favourites for me are the obvious ones, Charlton away in the play-offs, Tranmere away in 1993 in the play-offs and Wembley 1990 and 1993.  The other one was  Birmingham away in 1993 when we were 4-1 down and ended up winning 6-4.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 22:19:20 »

The days before the sat nav and a twat of a brother reading the map. We got stuck in the middle of Woburn Abbey and had to make a U turn.

Happy Days.

I remember wearing a Davey Crocket hat that night.

The cops said we were the loudest fans they could remember at Portman Road.
We never stopped singing.
kerry red

« Reply #28 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 22:21:35 »

That Wrexham special was something alright.

There was fighting on the train when it was still stood in Swindon station before leaving!

Me and my mates had our carry outs stacked on the table when someone thumped me on the back of me head - turned round to have a go meself and after the kerfuffle some bastard had nicked all our booze.

The trained stopped - at Hereford I think - to take on more police and we got to the Racecourse just before half-time.

After the game it was mental in the extreme.

Youthful exuberance
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 22:27:09 »

So many great memories being posted.

2-2 Everton and Strouds rocket.
The most packed TE I have ever been in.

Got crushed and spent most of game on the side with my Green Parka.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: