Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town FC v Bury FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 33107 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 00:00:30 »

The Opponent – Bury

A few days have passed since the last time we met, and finally we have new owners. Apart from the pitiful live coverage of the press conference by BBC Wiltshire, I am now cautiously optimistic for the future. Sure we have a long way to go, Swindon Town fans know as well as anyone that things may seem rosy one day, but the next we find ourselves knee deep in shit. I am glad the ownership issue is now resolved, it was something we really needed to move on from. Red Jed certainly talks the talk, (you know the rest). It seems he has put together a consortium that has football in their blood, which is always a good start. Obviously time will tell if my optimism will be rewarded with a self sustaining club playing attractive football in The Championship.

One thing that has made me smile is the bookies odds for the next STFC full time manager. Has anyone on here actually placed any money on this? Perhaps once the new board have announced they are seeking a new manager I can understand, I will have a few quid myself. If by chance we wallop Bury 6-0, will McCrory be in such a rush to employ a new manager and backroom team? Or will it be a play it by ear policy? Either way, as ever, the next few days, weeks and months promise to be an interesting chapter in the history of Swindon Town. There is no doubt about it, the next appointment has to be the right one.

Anyway, we move on to a night under the lights at the County Ground. The unbeaten run continues, even if it was maintained with a non too convincing draw against Hartlepool, and tonight’s game against Bury is the 4th team in succession we have played from oop north. I wasn’t expecting to find out much about Bury it has to be said, and my expectations were met. Oddly enough, Bury share their home of Gigg Lane with FC United of Manchester, the team formed in protest to the takeover of Manchester United by Malcolm Glazer.

Bury is regionally notable for its open-air market and its popularity has been increased since the introduction of the Manchester Metrolink tram system, which terminates in the town. The market is known for its supply of a local traditional dish, Black Pudding. To think some people sneer at those who enjoy a bit of pigs blood and bone when they eat Tesco burgers.  One of Bury's most notable residents was Sir Robert Peel, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and founder of the Metropolitan Police Service. A monument to Peel is outside Bury parish church and another, the austere Peel Monument, stands on a hill overlooking the locality. They never had one of Ted Heath in my home town of Broadstairs for some reason although I am sure the residents of Witney will all club together when Cameron pops his clogs, soon. It was announced on 26 September 2012 that the board had hired Kevin Blackwell as permanent manager, and his appointment was widely regarded as something of a coup for Bury. Blackwell began his tenure with a 2-2 draw at Stevenage followed by a 1-0 home loss to ourselves prompting him to blast some of his players as 'garbage' Long may that continue, or for today at least.

What are they saying about us? –

Seems the most popular Shakers forum is pre-registration just to view, Christ they must only have a handful of members. Although this gem from Twitter warmed my heart.

“With Dick Caneo thretning to go we gotta chance tomoz”

I wonder if anyone has told him yet?

Bury Last 6 – DWDLLL (Currently 22nd in League 1 on 37 points)

The Irrelevant Facts
– Bury have just been placed under a transfer embargo for the 2nd time in 3 months which has left manager Kevin Blackwell ‘frustrated’. What he may also find frustrating is the 29 goals that Bury have conceded away from home so far this term and in the same time they have only picked up 2 wins.  They have also only managed to keep 2 clean sheets on their travels so far.

The Threat -  Schumacher. Not the big chinned German but Steven, who has found the back of the net on 9 occasions so far this season.

Head to head – A good record in our favour  W 21 D 11 L12

The Odds – Swindon 8/15    Draw 10/3   Bury 6/1  If you are looking for better value than the 8/15 then it may be worth considering is Draw HT Swindon FT which is 10/3 most places. With Simon Ferry set to miss out through an ankle injury (and toothache), Alan Navarro could be set for a start tonight, if you fancy a bit of a long shot he is currently a best priced 14/1 with SkyBet.

The Son Says – Have we got a manager yet Dad? No son (repeat every hour or so) he did manage to fit in a 4-0 prediction though.

The Prediction - Not the romping some may be hoping for I feel. We need Orient to nick something off Danny Wilson’s lot tonight too. I am going for 2-0 with goals from Rafa and A.Rooney in front of 7’925 of which 146 will make the long journey from Lancashire.

And Finally – Back in the 1990’s Bury’s commercial manager was none other than the father of Gary and Phil Neville, the wonderfully named Neville Neville!

COYR COYR COYR
Bukkake Regiment

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 00:03:19 »

Good write up. What does everyone think the crowd will be, bearing in mind it's cheap tickets. 8200?
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 00:06:24 »

3-0 Swindon, A Rooney (2) and Flint for me in front of 8002, with 134 from Bury! Time to get behind the lads again, 3 points a must ahead of a tricky trip to Coventry on Saturday! C.O.Y.R!!!

#VivaKenBarlow!
stfcjack

The Swindon lot don't seem to respect you

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 00:07:39 »

Great write up as always! Going for a 2-0 town Collins x2 att: 8147
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 00:17:52 »

I Remember watching from the Stratton Bank us beat Bury 8-0 some years ago and climbing the clock to celebrate, seemed like a   Too Cool thing to do at the time. Would settle for any sort of Win but going for a 3-0. 7,600 watching.
Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 00:23:40 »

COYR 3-1 Town.

It's not that I'm lazy.  It's that I just don't care.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 01:06:37 »

We should piss past this lot even without a manager.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 06:37:21 »

2-1 Swindon

I come from a land down-under
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 07:02:00 »

We will thrash them, 2-1.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 07:25:35 »

2-0 Williams, Collins.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 07:30:41 »

Come on boys maximum effort tonight and 3 points in the bag please.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
WR5

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 07:59:40 »

A convincing 3 nil win watched by 7895, with the lads lead out on to the field by my son who is mascot

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 08:09:43 »

Hope he has a good night WR5
WR5

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 08:22:25 »

Hope he has a good night WR5

I he will I am sure, at least the backroom meet and greet will be shorter  Clap

WR5

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 08:27:55 »

I Remember watching from the Stratton Bank us beat Bury 8-0 some years ago and climbing the clock to celebrate, seemed like a   Too Cool thing to do at the time. Would settle for any sort of Win but going for a 3-0. 7,600 watching.

Although not my first game it is one of the first I really remember, me and my old man missed the first 1 goal, queuing for cup tickets. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: