Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Club Management Software  (Read 4637 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, February 23, 2013, 13:04:59 »

@TDP: So, I have a couple of families that pay a one off fee for multiple kids. For others I have individual payments for each child.

@MacPhlea: Friend of mine just said the same. Think I'll try to get a rudimentary Excel spreadsheet running and then play with Access afterwards.

If I tell you that it has taken me all morning to sort out a vlookup, you'll realise that it might take me a while to do anything complicated! I'm going to concentrate on looking at what format I can get the bank statement info into first - Hopefully csv (but I doubt it)

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, February 23, 2013, 13:06:49 »

Can't they put a reference number on the payment?
Its as much as I can do to get them to pay at all! Not keen on asking them to make changes that might jeopardise income for a couple of months.

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 08:28:06 »

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !

Spent all last night looking at this and using a vlookup that I thought would work, but it didn't.

I have the following:

Spreadsheet 1:
Column E has the 'bank transaction description'
Column J has the 'total fees due'
I want to put how much has been paid into Column K

Spreadsheet 2 'Data From Bank':
Column A has 'bank transaction description'
Column B has 'amount paid'
I want to put the vlookup into

Pretty please someone put me out of my misery and tell me what the vlookup code should be! I've spent hours getting erroneous results!!

@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 08:42:10 »

@TDP: So, I have a couple of families that pay a one off fee for multiple kids. For others I have individual payments for each child.

@MacPhlea: Friend of mine just said the same. Think I'll try to get a rudimentary Excel spreadsheet running and then play with Access afterwards.

If I tell you that it has taken me all morning to sort out a vlookup, you'll realise that it might take me a while to do anything complicated! I'm going to concentrate on looking at what format I can get the bank statement info into first - Hopefully csv (but I doubt it)

If you don't now either you'd be better off focusing your learning curve on access otherwise you'll have to learn both and excel doesn't easily transfer to access...
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 08:56:50 »

If you don't now either you'd be better off focusing your learning curve on access otherwise you'll have to learn both and excel doesn't easily transfer to access...
The wife has most of the data in Excel at the moment, so should be able to get quicker results with that. Have got a Excel 2007 book and 2 hours watching the kids swim in a minute to try to puzzle that out.

Access is something I've always wanted to learn, but never had a good enough reason to do it. So now I might! This will be a long term replacement for the quick fix in Excel.

Loobug

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 09:06:23 »

Not sure if this is what you mean but I think you want =vlookup(E1,sheet2 A1:B999,2,false)
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 09:15:31 »

The wife has most of the data in Excel at the moment, so should be able to get quicker results with that. Have got a Excel 2007 book and 2 hours watching the kids swim in a minute to try to puzzle that out.

Access is something I've always wanted to learn, but never had a good enough reason to do it. So now I might! This will be a long term replacement for the quick fix in Excel.

If she has most of it in excel the transferring it to access before you start playing with vlookups might be a better option - if you want me to tell what data should go into what datasets then I'm happy to do this or you can have a go and send over what you think should go where... 

The general rule of databases is splitting down grouped data into unique chunks that aren't repeated...

For example your paying members will be be unique and would be assigned a unique ID but they may have multiple family members but each are unique so they would go into a separate table and asigned a unique ID with a reference ID to the unique ID of the paying member (relationship).  Likewise their payments would be multiple but unique so again each would have a unique ID and a reference to the paying member ID.

Once you have your database table and datasets you can then start building queries using the relationships (far easier than vlookups!)

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 16:12:06 »

Not sure if this is what you mean but I think you want =vlookup(E1,sheet2 A1:B999,2,false)

Thanks for this. I found out in the end why I had so many problems with this. Turns out that I had to have 'sheet 2' sorted alphabetically before doing the vlookup. When it wasn't sorted, it came up with inconsistent numbers and errors - Piece of shit!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: