Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town FC v Preston North End FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 36129 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #315 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 18:23:13 »

Don't think that wasn't already known before yesterday!

We met Clem at the station on the way back from Gillingham last year. He seemed reluctant to pass on our "regards" to Claridge.

Would your "regards" have included either or both of the words "wanker" and/or "cunt"? Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 18:32:27 »

I've read that a lot to and thought what ....

The other thing to come out the FL show is what an unbelievable tosser Steve Claridge is ...  Blithering on about how high PDC's stock is and all that. If his stock was so high would a club not have come in for him?  After all a title, followed by team in the play offs of the league above, a cup final and 8 wins against teams in higher divisions to boot ... And not a single approach ....

Clem also mentioned that crowds were lower than expected. Really? Claridge just talks out of his arse.

From the rest of the highlights, I hope Bury defend like they did at Notts County on tuesday, and Paynter's miss was horrendous.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 18:37:44 »

Just watching the FL show..In Clem's intro he said we had "lower than expected crowds".....really?

I thought that as well.

I think 8.5k gates would've been expected if we are doing well, especially the lack of 'big' clubs in this division this season, and that we had one of the bigger clubs (Sheff Utd) on a Tuesday night.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 18:38:20 »

and the fact tickets cost £25 ...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 18:42:54 »

Would your "regards" have included either or both of the words "wanker" and/or "cunt"? Cheesy

Lucky guess!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 18:44:21 »

and the fact tickets cost £25 ...

It was more the fact that crowds remained about the same even though season tickets went up this season (albeit to normal). Thought we'd lose quite a few, surprised and happy we didn't.

But would we really have budgeted for higher than our league 2 crowds given the price increase? Or were they already lower than expected following our relegation and subsequent appointment of a "name" in PDC? Most odd.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 18:46:23 by Batch » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #321 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 18:44:47 »

Lucky guess!
The other guess would have been minge-slop, but I guess the right 2 Smiley

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 18:46:22 »

I thought that as well.

I think 8.5k gates would've been expected if we are doing well, especially the lack of 'big' clubs in this division this season, and that we had one of the bigger clubs (Sheff Utd) on a Tuesday night.

If you look at 95/96, attendances were largely the same and we ran away with it that year.  The last 4 or 5  were above 10k and maybe we had a few higher ones (Crewe and Blackpool who were both doing well that year saw 12k+).  It's the age old problem for anyone running our club though, we don't see massive upswings, equally though, when we are doing badly, it takes a while for attendances to really bottom out and even then we get half decent crowds for a shit club.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 18:47:45 »

I think our crowds are good for league 1. If we do make the step up to the Championship then ground redevelopment is a must. Most clubs in that league have new or redeveloped stadiums and average over 15k. We need a 20k seater stadium if we want to do a Brighton, Swansea, etc. Without the facilities we can only ever hope to do a 'Peterborough' and try and survive.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 18:49:25 »

If you look at 95/96, attendances were largely the same and we ran away with it that year.  The last 4 or 5  were above 10k ...

But 94/95 were on the downslope of the STFC pinnacle, the premier league. I think we did well to get near that this year after a decade in the third tier (with dips into the 4th).

Not sure how we get to make the step up in crowd numbers though, except sustained championship football.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #325 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 18:52:38 »

Not sure how we get to make the step up in crowd numbers though, except sustained championship football.

As Ralphy states the extra crowds can often come from ground redevelopment or moving to a new ground creating a "feel good" factor.

I don't think that effect would happen if we redevelop the CG though even though that is my personal choice. As you state the crowd would go up with a sustained period in the Championship though.

Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 18:53:39 »

Ground redevelopment
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 18:54:37 »

Ground redevelopment

That doesn't always = bigger crowds (Colchester, Darlo, Oxford..). It is crucial though that the right redevelopment is made ASAP.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 18:57:34 »

Fair point but we're a bigger club than those teams with championship football a real prospect. Look at Brighton's crowds now they've moved, highest in the Championship.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 18:58:38 »

Fair point but we're a bigger club than those teams with championship football a real prospect. Look at Brighton's crowds now they've moved, highest in the Championship.

Brighton still making whopping loses! Without a wealthy benefactor it will be a struggle!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: