Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 44   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tranmere Rovers FC v Swindon Town FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 59089 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #570 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 00:40:37 »

Thanks for that been waiting for a report. SSN just did the same again. I reckon the highlights VHS on the moped left before the 3rd.
OrangeTransits

Ignore
« Reply #571 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 00:44:54 »

I liken this as an opportunity for someone to sort of do what Ardiles did after Macari.  Took a team that was well drilled and disciplined, added a pinch of class to the same team, and they flew.  Would have been worse for this to happen a game or two into the season, maybe even back in Nov.  If it had to happen this season, think now is ok provided the right next man is chosen.  The foundations are in place, the team is in form, not enough time to unravel the fitness and the defensive strength we have should remain due to good habits being in place.

Absolutely SPOT ON ............................................................... COLD NOT AGREE MORE..... If you are the new man to lead us to the promised land and you are reading this .............. LISTEN TO YOUR TEAM......... They have shown tonight that they REALLY REALLY REALLY want to go to that promised land ............... I loved you PAOLO but like a jilted boyfriend whose just discovered that your Girlfriend is taking your best mates COCK up her ARSE. GO DO ONE MATE. A Bit controversial I know. Thought you were made of sterner stuff. When the going gets tough. The Italians get Going........ ( Sorry but you were probably as it may be shown put in a ridiculous position in your own mind ) And unfortunately until you learn to control your emotions, which we all love to some extent ) I cannot see anyone taking you seriously as there manager. You changed my life in Difficult times and I will always remember and respect you for that. But to jump ship just now shows you have a serious backbone issue when things don't go your way. Good luck wherever you end up but when STFC pass you on the way. Remember I told yo so....... BAD LIFE CHOICE MY MAN ......

You'll never take the Townend !!!!!!
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #572 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 01:08:13 »

Ok, just got down from cloud 9 and had a read through. Here are my thoughts on the match...

First half we played some good stuff - the best football I've seen from us in a while, despite a poor surface. Storey was making runs into the channels, and winning corners, so it was a shame to see him depart. But we looked composed throughout. Collins was winning balls in attack, and we were restricting their chances to long range efforts. A free header in the box should have been buried but Wes remained untested. In attack, we had a few pot shots from the edge of the box which didn't trouble Fon Williams, plus a couple of near misses. Most notably, Collins should have done much better when a defensive cock up allowed him to work a near open goal. He put it wide. He was also denied by one or two good saves from the keeper. Half time, 0-0 and looking like another story of missed chances.

Second half, Tranmere looked a bit brighter without causing too many problems to start with. The defensive problems were still evident though - their left back being a huge liability. We fashioned one or two moves forward, before the ball was played through for Collins - the flag stayed down, the keeper rushed out, and the ball was caressed goalward to make it 1-0. It could have been two not long after, but Collins was adjudged offside in the build up.

We continued to play nice stuff, with the occasional frustrating long ball. And it became 2-0 when a ball up to Williams was cushion headed back to Roberts. Around 20 yards out, he let the ball come down before pinging it into the top corner on the half-volley. Beautiful. The inevitable onslaught came not much later, and Tranmere got their goal after some sustained pressure. From then on, it was end to end with chances for both sides, but the last 5 minutes deserve particular attention...

First of all, Tranmere brought on a 3-foot midget on the right wing, who ran McEveley ragged. Then they piled on the pressure, with corners and free kicks. Fon Williams went up for one, which was knocked clear, then hoofed downfield. Williams gave chase, pursuing the defender who sensibly(!) played the ball back to his keeper, only the keeper wasn't there. The ball rolled 40 yards, getting slower and slower, the defender wasn't going to make it, then the ball bounced back off the post.

Two minutes later, another Tranmere set piece and Fon Williams is off again. The ball comes in and is cleared as far as Roberts, who, well inside his own half, looks up, and pings one goalwards. The keeper chased back desperately, and almost clawed it away, but the back of the net rustled and all 11 of the Town players raced to the away end to celebrate. Superb!!

After the game, the players came over and took part in celebrations akin to those at Gillingham last year. A monumental achievement to climb to the summit of League One after recent events. McCormack high-fived each of the team, before shouting something unclear to the fans in a determined manner, pointing at himself and the team. There's no question, the boys still mean business. Bring on Saturday, and whatever may lie before.
JanAageisGod

Ignore
« Reply #573 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 01:15:08 »

Well that was as much fun as I've had at an away game for some time - though I don't get to that many - better side for first 65 mins comfortably.

Not seen a shot with as much power as Roberts first for a long, long time, plus the almost 40 yard own goal plus the Roberts lob that saw Wesley run the length of the pitch to join in the celebrations, while Ward and Flint were excellent at the back. It was getting tense at 2-1 but they kept winning headers throughout.

As has been said the players really seemed to want to do that for themselves - McCormack was pointing at chest and going nuts at the end - if they keep that drive within between now and May you can be hopeful.

But more than happy to forget about the ownership/manager saga for a few hours and savour this before the glow fades.

Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #574 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 01:36:41 »

Got back half hour or so ago, had a brew and a chance to get my head round that. Cracking performance, some cracking goals, brilliant support and the team and the fans were one at the end. Good as away days can get footballing wise.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #575 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 02:23:54 »

Just got back.  Adrenaline is still pumping so logical thoughts might have gone out the window, bearing that in mind......

I fucking love football. 

Right now I don't give a shit about the takeover saga, being managerless, selling our best player, etc.  All that matters is what happens on the pitch.  Tonight was fucking super performance, the players battled from start to finish and never gave up.  You can see how close they are by the goal celebrations, every single outfield player joined in and for the 3rd Wes legged it upfield to be a part of it. All 16 players in a show of unity at the end.

I don't give a flying fuck right now if we appoint Newell, Hart, Malpas or Rix because these players are going up as fucking champions regardless. Any cunt doesn't get behind the new manager can do one because we have a real opportunity to achieve some history here.

Great night that won't be forgotten in a hurry
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #576 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 08:19:33 »

Really enjoyed that night of footy.

A really great all round performance,Wes made a cracking save to keep us in front,on another night we could have had eight.
Great atmosphere from the Town fans as we headed top....i did sing myself hoarse for Neville and i watched two older Tranmere fans clap us off the pitch at the end which was good to see.
Flint is looking a lot more assured and was brilliant for me.

Also a big up to SAS....i really enjoyed the day,and the driver had us home in less than three hours.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #577 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 08:28:06 »

McCormack high-fived each of the team, before shouting something unclear to the fans in a determined manner, pointing at himself and the team. There's no question, the boys still mean business. Bring on Saturday, and whatever may lie before.

This has brought a massive smile to my face this morning.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #578 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 08:33:53 »

I wonder if there will be a crawley esque video of the players dancing now PDC has gone Wink
Stegenfreud

Say what now?

Ignore
« Reply #579 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 08:50:00 »

Proud of the players, great win under the circumstances.

IF the takeover gets completed soon (48hrs), I hope the new consortium employ a likeable old head to just keep the squad ticking over, as on evidence last night the squad are as motivated as ever to get promotion. Perhaps they're bored of PDC's outbursts and will welcome the chance to get some recognition for their efforts?

Lots of names being mentioned but I think the new man needs to be someone the players will know/respect as coming in mid-season means there is no time to settle/build a good rapport. For me that rules out the likes of Hockaday. If Owen Coyle fancied the drop down to League 1, and we could afford him, I think he'd be a good shout.

simon FERRY cross the avon... do do.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #580 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 08:59:29 »

Loving reading the write ups of those who went, it's been inspiring. It's how I felt myself last night although I would probably multliply it by 10 if I'd actually been there. This is what football is all about - the players on the pitch playing with heart and passion and giving their all, bollocks to all the rubbish going on off it. Occasions like last night are why I love this Club.

I've said it before, we don't need a new manager from outside the Club at this point in the season. We have all the personnel we need to get us up.

Let's just do it.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 09:01:06 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
phelpsieboy

« Reply #581 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 09:02:05 »

Well last night was just out of this world! The team on the whole all performed brilliantly. First half we should of been well ahead with the chances we had. Storey was causing their defence all sorts of problems and we lost a bit of momentum when he went off injured. Second half we were definitely on top, created some brilliant chances and Collins finish for the first was a very tidy one. After this it became the Gary Roberts show, he really stepped up to the plate tonight and proved that there is a player hiding inside there. His first finish was un-fucking-believable, could tell as son as it left his boot there was only one place it was going. Then the inevitable Tranmere pressure enused, but thanks to Foderingham it was kept to just the 1 goal. Then thanks to Fon-Williams for allowing two of the best moments of the game, the comedic back pass to an open goal was comical and nearly gave us the third goal, Max Power then nearly put it into his own net when tracking the stray ball back, he couldn't even look at the Town fans in embarrassment. Then the third goal came and it was all over. The players were determined and their celebrations just showed it, Macca and Ferry were rallying on the fans and was definitely a sight to behold.  
tj2002

Ignore
« Reply #582 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 09:24:27 »

I've not read all of the reviews on here but here's mine. Fantastic performance last night from 13 men wearing the shirt of my team. Committed, technically excellent at times and showing a real desire to win for themselves and for the fans. The team spirit shown after each goal, particularly the way they all congratulated Gary Roberts, was great to see.

Di Canio has instilled a great sense of unity there and there's no reason why that won't carry on without him. My only slight concern is that we may see a player power thing a la Chelsea when a new man comes in.

Don't really want to single out players after that but, Roberts, Collins, Williams, Ferry, Miller, and de Vita were big players for us last night, everyone deserves praise after that though. I guess Alan Mac will be taking warm down training today after he signaled that this is his team at the end.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #583 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 09:27:48 »

Great reading the match reports for those that made the journey.

How many Town fans?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
LJ9
Whining little Bitch

PDC: "Send me off, we will win this league anyway"

Ignore
« Reply #584 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 09:51:21 »

Alan McCormack's passion last night when he came over to the fans at half time was something I've never seen before.

He was shouting something like "It's about us, It's about us"

I was lucky enough to get a spot at the front for the celebs.

Amazing night, despite the circumstances. Performances, apart from Jay Mac (if I have to be finnickity) were absolutely top drawer.

Collins was possessed!!!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 44   Go Up
Print
Jump to: