Pages: 1 ... 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 ... 131   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sale of the Club  (Read 312125 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #1830 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 18:50:44 »

You could argue that Man City will be getting more fans by winning trophies. Is that not how Man United did it?

Think the fans attracted by trophies are only temporary, it's the core fan base that is important and moving the glory hunters in to that core so they won't jump ship when it all turns to shit. Otherwise, how do you explain the high attendances of the bigger clubs that have dropped down the leagues?

Don't think we do anywhere near enough to build our fan base, especially getting kids on board. Problem I guess is it's a slow and long term process and everyone wants immediate results.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1831 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 19:08:25 »

Don't think we do anywhere near enough to build our fan base, especially getting kids on board. Problem I guess is it's a slow and long term process and everyone wants immediate results.

Not having a go, but what exactly do you suggest over and above what we already do.

We have reasonable links in local schools and communities through Football In The Community. They run courses from 2-3 age upwards.

We have superb ticket prices for the under 10s, where for £25 to join the junior Robins they can have a free season ticket.

I'm not sure about the 10-16 age group mind.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #1832 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 19:15:37 »

Haven't got a clue. If I did I'd probably be working in marketing.

Main problem I see is that my nephew and his mates all wear Chelsea and Liverpool shirts and want to be Torres and Suarez. That needs changing to Swindon shirts and wanting to be Paolo, or Ferry, or Wes or whoever.

One idea - get Topps to do a Swindon Town Match Attax team set. Kids love that shit.

And another - sell club merchandise in other shops (especially supermarkets, clothes shops etc).
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 19:33:51 by jonny72 » Logged
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #1833 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 19:16:50 »

They need to reach out to the whole of Wiltshire, not just Swindon.  They should be coming into Chippenham, Devizes etc etc.  Maybe then I wouldnt only spot one STFC top amongst the after school football clubs.  Even that lad actually supports Man U!

Apologies if they do already do this.  Just Ive never seen a presence in 'Nam and could easily have been turned to a shithead or a gashead had I not been born in Swindon and had mates who were going to the CG.  

Never knowingly overstated.
corner

Ignore
« Reply #1834 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 20:01:18 »

And marlon pack scores, pen.
newmarket red
, ; . ' ?

Thrives on negativity.

Ignore
« Reply #1835 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 20:20:10 »

Worrys me were the financial backing is coming from as none of these chaps mentioned seem loaded?
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #1836 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 20:32:12 »

Worrys me were the financial backing is coming from as none of these chaps mentioned seem loaded?

I look it at the opposite way. Id rather not rely on a rich mans backing.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #1837 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 20:41:11 »

They need to reach out to the whole of Wiltshire, not just Swindon.  They should be coming into Chippenham, Devizes etc etc.  Maybe then I wouldnt only spot one STFC top amongst the after school football clubs.  Even that lad actually supports Man U!

Apologies if they do already do this.  Just Ive never seen a presence in 'Nam and could easily have been turned to a shithead or a gashead had I not been born in Swindon and had mates who were going to the CG.   

I agree entirely. I'm from 'nam and can never, ever recall an STFC presence in the area. All the kids I went to school with all those years ago were Man Utd or Liverpool fans. A lost generation, and I suspect its continued for the last 30 odd years.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #1838 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 20:42:08 »

Trouble is, it is not just kids who follow the big teams and wear their kits. Look at the number of adults wearing Prem Lge tops on the leisure centre football pitches around town. The last taxi driver I got a ride with was a Chelsea season ticket holder! I know people who are pure Sky football watchers, support Manchester United, and have absolutely no inclination to support their local professional team. It makes it hard for their kids to become Swindon fans.

If Premier League II goes ahead in the manner PaulD put forward earlier, then teams like Swindon will be doomed. It shouldn't be allowed to happen, just like the PL should never have been allowed to happen. The sooner a five division national league is created, under the administration of one body, the better professional football in England will be. Those in the game that push for a PLII and want to create even greater divides in football in this country, are, in my opinion, not fit and proper.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #1839 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 20:50:11 »

From personal experience as someone who grew up nearer yeovil than Swindon, it was the fact my dad, who grew up in the devizes area, was a supporter that meant I became one. Like people have said, whatever the kids do re football support will be reflected in what their parents do. There are way too many sky sports supporters now, as they pay less than a season ticket for all the matches from all the upper flight teams. Easier to sit on your arse and watch a team you've never been to see in the flesh than attempt to support a local one, with all their ups and downs.

Kind of crossing over into the 'what's wrong with football thread', but Sky has ruined footy in this country. Leftside's comment about there needing to be 5 leagues all run by the same body is entirely right. If nothing else it'd provide consistency...
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #1840 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 22:16:10 »

FITC were doing coaching lessons at the Frogwell school Chippenham, not sure if they still are. They also had junior football clubs going to train with FITC before home games from all over Wiltshire which included a tour around the CG. The training was done at the school ? Behind the Ambulance station near the ground. some clubs used to bring 200+ kids. A mate of mine and his 3 boys attended one of the training days and enjoyed the whole day that much Have been coming back ever since and have been ST holders for a few years now, just need a few more like them.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #1841 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 22:23:09 »

Fingers crossed for tomorrow the takeover goes through and some signings follow! Might even get the photo on the pitch with scarves then find out who the consortium is!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1842 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 22:43:27 »

Kids can't go unless their parents take them. Even then, they're battling against the stigma of supporting a league 1 team compared to a successful premier league team.
Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« Reply #1843 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 22:59:46 »

What I would like to know is: when is the sale of the club going to go through?

It's not that I'm lazy.  It's that I just don't care.
LittleRed

Ignore
« Reply #1844 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 03:21:13 »

What I would like to know is: when is the sale of the club going to go through?

Hopefully today they will be meeting with the football league and it will be ratified. If not then apparently its friday. Jed McCrory was quite open about this on twitter and has said as soon as it is done then he will let people know
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 ... 131   Go Up
Print
Jump to: