Pages: 1 ... 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 ... 131   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sale of the Club  (Read 312065 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #1815 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 16:53:40 »

Wigan? Last time I checked they were £80m in debt, not exactly self sustaining.
i missed the word 'self' when reading it. oops

although on that note, are there are any clubs in the top two divisions who are self sustaining?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #1816 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 16:58:28 »

Wigan? Last time I checked they were £80m in debt, not exactly self sustaining.
I think I read a similar figure for Swansea the other week. Wigan did at least turn a profit for the first time in years last season. So who in the top two leagues is "self-sustaining" - ie. regularly turns a profit without large injections of shareholder cash? Anyone?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #1817 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 16:59:35 »

The big clubs without the wealthy backer do ok, so Arsenal, Man Utd and Tottenham. Sure there are plenty of others.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1818 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 17:00:27 »

I couldn't find anything recent or below Premiership level

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9255617/Revealed-the-financial-health-of-the-Premier-League-laid-bare.html

Its a little out of date but Bolton's finances must be worrying them after their relegation. They ain't doing very well this year either.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #1819 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 17:07:57 »

I have to be honest other than being passionate about the team, I can never see many reasons to buy a football club unless you are ready to write off a lot of money.
kerry red

« Reply #1820 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 17:14:15 »

There are those who think the parachute payments to relegated PL clubs is virtually a free ticket back up again, need to take a look at Wolves, Bolton and to some extent Blackburn.

Wolves will become this season's Norwich/Southampton/Leeds and drop to League 1.

Can't really see Burnley getting back up in the near future and give a couple of seasons and Blackpool will be back amongst the dead men.

Hull seem to be making a decent fist of things this season (new stadium).

Still can't believe we spent our paltry parachute payment on Joey Beauchump
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1821 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 17:16:53 »

There are those who think the parachute payments to relegated PL clubs is virtually a free ticket back up again, need to take a look at Wolves, Bolton and to some extent Blackburn.

Wolves will become this season's Norwich/Southampton/Leeds and drop to League 1.

Can't really see Burnley getting back up in the near future and give a couple of seasons and Blackpool will be back amongst the dead men.

Wolves actually had a credit of 25 million in 2010/2011 so possibly aren't as financially buggered as Bolton and Blackburn.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1822 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 17:22:26 »

The big clubs without the wealthy backer do ok, so Arsenal, Man Utd and Tottenham. Sure there are plenty of others.

arsenal are doing Ok now they have finally paid for the ground, but speak to any arsenal fan and they hate the financial model they operate to, and actually taking note of their position in the league is their financial model sustaining their league position.

Man Utd are doing OK but remember their ground is probably 20% larger than any other of their competitors which makes things easier, plus they operate in a much bigger global market than probably 90% of clubs, do we get fans travelling huge distances from abroad to visit the club (apart from Norway obviously). They are also debted up to the eyeballs, our debts would only be petty cash to them.

Spurs are a funny one, aren't they owned by some off shore company and thus I don't know their funding model, they have done well in selling players for huge profits over the last 5 years which may help, but thats a very risky model to follow.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1823 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 17:24:58 »

Hull have been at the KC since 2002 so way before their premiership years. Not sure what if anything they make from revenue as the ground is owned by, and was majority paid for, by the Council following the sale of Kingston Communications.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #1824 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 17:32:39 »

Can't remember where I heard it (Radio 5 possibly) but there was some research which shows the most successful clubs over time are the richest clubs, with just the occasional blip (ie someone pissing away their fortune). The richest clubs are those with the biggest fan base - Arsenals income is £100m more a season than Man City (whose sugar daddy won't last for ever). Seems obvious but the point is you can't buy long term success with a short term investment.

So if you want to back a club it would make a lot more sense investing all the money in increasing the fan base and related revenue making streams. That kind of investment lasts for ever rather than just covering salaries for a few seasons. It takes longer but it's the only way you'll ever be sustainable at the top level and be able to compete with the top clubs.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1825 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 17:36:11 »

You could argue that Man City will be getting more fans by winning trophies. Is that not how Man United did it?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1826 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 17:46:15 »

Man City were only about €5m behind Arsenal in the last Deloitte Money League. Jumped 5 places to 7th in one year alone.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #1827 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 17:56:12 »

Man City were only about €5m behind Arsenal in the last Deloitte Money League. Jumped 5 places to 7th in one year alone.

Didn't there owners put in loads in the form of dodgy sponsorship deals?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1828 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 17:57:38 »

You could argue that Man City will be getting more fans by winning trophies. Is that not how Man United did it?

I would wholly agree, I may have a selective memory but when i grew up in the 1980's I don't remember any Man Utd supporters at my school, they all seemed to support Liverpool. However now many on Facebook seem to be Man Ure supporters and I suggest that if they keep it up the same may happen with City.

Speaking to a lad I work with in Manchester he was saying his lad and all his school friends seem to be City fans so we shall see.

I think prolonged investment and high level success brings a glory hunting fan base, don't think we are ever going to reach that with the occassional Johnsons Paint final sadly
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1829 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 18:28:48 »

Didn't there owners put in loads in the form of dodgy sponsorship deals?

EDIT: I see what you're getting at. The £400m of sponsorship from Etihad?

http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GB/uk/industries/sportsbusinessgroup/sports/football/deloitte-football-money-league/c0d0cc64dac5c310VgnVCM3000003456f70aRCRD.htm
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 18:35:42 by Simon Pieman » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 ... 131   Go Up
Print
Jump to: