Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 ... 131   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sale of the Club  (Read 311866 times)
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #1800 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 15:27:27 »

You've kind of missed the point a bit Reg, although I agree we wouldn't be likely to tear up any trees. The point was more that there is some rationale to Wray's (apparent) "shit or bust" approach if you accept the thesis that Prem 2 is coming so it becomes all important to get on board and stay on board before the drawbridge is pulled up, because once it's pulled up, it will be umpty times harder to break into the gilded circle and things like stadium developments etc (at least on a scale needed to sustain a self-financing Championship/Prem 2 side) become commensurately harder (to the point of impossible).

I think Reg's point was that while Wray's current model might get us on board, staying on board would require an even greater investment.

There is a case to be made for getting promotion and sustaining that level at a loss while the redevelopment and whatever else is put in place to increase revenue and build the supporter base, but it will require deep pockets. To be honest, I thought that was possible while we had Mr Black underwriting us. I share Reg's uncertainty about whether the new owners have the funds available to make that a viable approach for them. Let's hope they do.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #1801 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 15:33:47 »

If we went down the low wage, young player, selling young talent every year route in this league then fans would slowly lose interest again.

Like I said in the previous post, sustainabilty long term is the way forward for clubs like ours, to build the club slowly in terms of ground redovelopment, fan base but the starting point must be the Championship, I honestly think it's vital.

Ignore
« Reply #1802 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 15:37:36 »

If we went down the low wage, young player, selling young talent every year route in this league then fans would slowly lose interest again.

Like I said in the previous post, sustainabilty long term is the way forward for clubs like ours, to build the club slowly in terms of ground redovelopment, fan base but the starting point must be the Championship, I honestly think it's vital.
How could a club like ours self sustain in the championship? It's just not possible imo
kaufman

« Reply #1803 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 15:44:33 »

BBC Wiltshire had an financial expert on a week or so back and asked him what would championship football bring in extra. The answer was 4 million a year but with wage bills and such other costs rising most clubs end up 1 million better off in general compared to league 1.

ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #1804 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 15:50:00 »

The Championship as it is now is arguably stronger in terms of the wages paid and income received then the Premiership was in 93/94. STFC wont be able to compete at that level without a redeveloped ground, that has been obvious for several years.

It may be nice to hope that the new owners will continue to bankroll the club to the same extent as the previous ones but the sale of Richie is pretty conclusive evidence that this is not going to be the case.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #1805 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 15:52:02 »

How could a club like ours self sustain in the championship? It's just not possible imo

I don't think we can be 100% self sustainable, I meant to say more self sustainable ie. living more within our means.

That can only happen with more revenue and one of the main sources of incresed revenue would be a redevolpment/ new stadium and that can only happen if there are fans going through the turnstiles and are showing interest in the football club.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1806 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 15:52:10 »

One of my mates told me that George Boyd at Posh is their top earner at 15k per week. They average smaller crowds than us!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1807 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 15:54:13 »

Very difficult to judge something like this.  You're comparing a collection of clubs in that league with another club (us) that last played in it, badly, in 2000.  There are some clubs up there that are definitely going to have more financial firepower than we will what ever we do.  But once we're up there, and have taken advantage of all the benefits arising from being there, and from redeveloping etc., you might just find that we're more a match for some of those clubs than a lot of people think.

Aside from a few highlights, STFC has been through a good 15 years now of unremitting shitness with little to cheer about.  There are plenty of 'smaller' clubs out there that have outperformed us in that time.  Our turn will come.  If Blackpool (for example) can make a go of Championship football, then so can we.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1808 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 16:15:20 »

One of my mates told me that George Boyd at Posh is their top earner at 15k per week. They average smaller crowds than us!
But have a (currently) considerably richer backer than us who is funding the vast majority of the playing staff rather than with club income.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1809 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 16:17:24 »

But have a (currently) considerably richer backer than us who is funding the vast majority of the playing staff rather than with club income.

MacAnthony is wealthier than Black?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1810 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 16:21:49 »

MacAnthony is wealthier than Black?
He is worth about the same as Black according to the Times rich list....I mean more so than we currently have....which is nobody as we are currently in limbo of ownership Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
iffy

« Reply #1811 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 16:26:54 »

In the normal run of things I'd agree 100% Ardiles. There is one potential caveat that gives me pause - the conversion of the Championship to Premiership 2.

Knowing our luck we'd get promoted to Prem 2 the year it started and then demoted immediately and our place given to Sunderland and then Tottenham would win the FA Cup the same year they were fucking banned from it.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #1812 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 16:33:25 »

Sorry Reg I know it must look like I just logged in to argue with you but I really haven't honest! But, again, think you've missed jonny's key point You're right about what would happen if we did it just by ourselves, jonny was suggesting (perhaps unrealistically) that ALL clubs need to do it - probably enforced by regulation.

My main point is the stupidity of it. The vast majority of clubs overspend on players wages. If they all paid them what they can afford, they'd end up with the same players but at half the cost. The more clubs that start operating within their means the quicker that player salaries will fall back to an affordable level.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #1813 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 16:40:44 »

you could have said the same about Swansea, Wigan et al
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #1814 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 16:50:25 »

you could have said the same about Swansea, Wigan et al

Wigan? Last time I checked they were £80m in debt, not exactly self sustaining.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 ... 131   Go Up
Print
Jump to: