Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 ... 131   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sale of the Club  (Read 312002 times)
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #1095 on: Saturday, February 2, 2013, 12:09:08 »

Why on earth not? Surely that's a good thing?? He could just as easily mean 'fighting chance of automatic promiotion'. Why oh why do some people have to a put a negative spin on everything?

Those two paragraphs in that story are all we have heard from anyone connected with the new owners. Throw in the fire sale of Ritchie behind the manager's back and it's only natural to view the terms "difficult period" and "fighting chance" in a cautious light. I defy anyone to read that Oxf*rd Mail piece and come away enthused.

I'm sure we all hope for the best, but it is a positive soul indeed that can have lived through the last few days and still be confident that everything is going to work out for the best. I sincerely hope it does, be that wealthy new owners who can give Paolo what he needs to get us into the Championship and keep us there or financially poor new owners with great principles who want to work with the Trust to develop a sustainable club with strong supporter involvement, but with the lack of information I don't think anyone can be confident of that.
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #1096 on: Saturday, February 2, 2013, 12:23:50 »

When we had the Fan's Consortium...with some financial backing from Bill Power, I genuinely thought we could create structure, whereby the fans had a greater say in how the club was run.

Given, that the then new owners, were a decent lot meant that everything seemed hunky dory....which is why it would have been good if the Trust, had been built up in that period, ready for the kind of eventuality we have now.

To be fair, Reg, if you've ever tried building a union during a time of prosperity I think you will know how hard a task that has been for the Trust. People don't turn to collective organisations when all is going well for them individually, but they then expect them to be there when things go tits up. Although it's worth adding that at least half the Swindon Town supporter base thought the Trust should fuck off even when they were battling to save the club from Diamandis and friends.

Fortunately people have worked hard during a time of complete indifference to ensure the Trust has continued as a functioning entity so that it is at least here if we need it in the coming months.
moredonboy

Ignore
« Reply #1097 on: Saturday, February 2, 2013, 12:34:24 »

I think I have been a bit too pessimistic regards the potential unknown new owners.
We can only hope that the old board really sussed out the new one and chose the best solution.

On the subject of  future ‘sustainability’ surely the Trust must come to the fore again.
Apart from Bill Power’s input I cannot remember much about the Trust’s history – sorry too old for that! What state is the Trust in now? 

I would be delighted to invest say £100 per annum into a Trust fund that would remain in control of the fans representatives. I wonder how many other Swindon supporters might do similar? We must get more fan ownership for STFC.

I hope to get to the CG one day ( I live on Orkney now so it costs a fortune to get south) and really wish I could be at Crawley today.

Your immense enthusiasm must spread onto the field today – it could be another turning point.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1098 on: Saturday, February 2, 2013, 12:35:48 »

Those two paragraphs in that story are all we have heard from anyone connected with the new owners. Throw in the fire sale of Ritchie behind the manager's back and it's only natural to view the terms "difficult period" and "fighting chance" in a cautious light. I defy anyone to read that Oxf*rd Mail piece and come away enthused.

I'm sure we all hope for the best, but it is a positive soul indeed that can have lived through the last few days and still be confident that everything is going to work out for the best. I sincerely hope it does, be that wealthy new owners who can give Paolo what he needs to get us into the Championship and keep us there or financially poor new owners with great principles who want to work with the Trust to develop a sustainable club with strong supporter involvement, but with the lack of information I don't think anyone can be confident of that.
Fair enough, I just don't see any point in not being positive. That's just me. If you can't control something, all you can do is hope for the best.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #1099 on: Saturday, February 2, 2013, 12:36:55 »

if the club was to become self-sustainable and/or fan controlled (whether it be via the Trust or another vehicle) then a great number of people will need to adjust our expectations in terms of what we can achieve.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1100 on: Saturday, February 2, 2013, 12:38:57 »

I think I have been a bit too pessimistic regards the potential unknown new owners.
We can only hope that the old board really sussed out the new one and chose the best solution.

On the subject of  future ‘sustainability’ surely the Trust must come to the fore again.
Apart from Bill Power’s input I cannot remember much about the Trust’s history – sorry too old for that! What state is the Trust in now? 

I would be delighted to invest say £100 per annum into a Trust fund that would remain in control of the fans representatives. I wonder how many other Swindon supporters might do similar? We must get more fan ownership for STFC.

I hope to get to the CG one day ( I live on Orkney now so it costs a fortune to get south) and really wish I could be at Crawley today.

Your immense enthusiasm must spread onto the field today – it could be another turning point.

They have internet in Orkney? Blimey learn something new every day Wink
deltaincline

« Reply #1101 on: Saturday, February 2, 2013, 12:50:48 »

To be fair, Reg, if you've ever tried building a union during a time of prosperity I think you will know how hard a task that has been for the Trust. People don't turn to collective organisations when all is going well for them individually, but they then expect them to be there when things go tits up. Although it's worth adding that at least half the Swindon Town supporter base thought the Trust should fuck off even when they were battling to save the club from Diamandis and friends.

Fortunately people have worked hard during a time of complete indifference to ensure the Trust has continued as a functioning entity so that it is at least here if we need it in the coming months.

Couple of great, meaningful posts there.

While I agree with both Reg and People sgame, from the outside looking in, would it be fair to asume that the club effectively killed off meaningful communications with the supporters trust pretty much after they took over?

I noticed the prominent office with the big sign in the car park seemed to dissapear within a season or so, and all the red army emails and press releases and info did the same - which was a shame.

I can see the point made by peoples game that its not easy running an organisation like that when things seem OK again in terms or club ownership and finances etc, so massive kudos goes to all who kept the thing going, just in case.

Now that the shit is hitting the fan as the old board scramble for the exits, the trust are still there. Hopefully Jed and co will embrace them and bring them in from the cold.

wigglesworth

« Reply #1102 on: Saturday, February 2, 2013, 13:14:54 »

if the club was to become self-sustainable and/or fan controlled (whether it be via the Trust or another vehicle) then a great number of people will need to adjust our expectations in terms of what we can achieve.

Bang on the money.  Yes You've just summed up the paradox at the heart of football, which fans and media alike refuse to acknowledge. We demand ambition* from our owners, enjoy the ride for a bit, then complain when fiscal reality comes calling and once again we're left with the club which 8,000 paying customers 23 times a year can afford.

Football as a business is a broken model. Completely bankrupt and will remain so until we, the fans, are happy to support self sustainable clubs.  Zipped

*(C) Sky Sports
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #1103 on: Saturday, February 2, 2013, 13:16:50 »

Bang on the money.  Yes You've just summed up the paradox at the heart of football, which fans and media alike refuse to acknowledge. We demand ambition* from our owners, enjoy the ride for a bit, then complain when fiscal reality comes calling and once again we're left with the club which 8,000 paying customers 23 times a year can afford.

Football as a business is a broken model. Completely bankrupt and will remain so until we, the fans, are happy to support self sustainable clubs.  Zipped

*(C) Sky Sports

You sound like Andrew Fitton. Not that I disagree with you.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1104 on: Saturday, February 2, 2013, 13:23:16 »

*(C) Sky Sports

I think that is a great post.

Nobody likes reality. But we have to face it.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1105 on: Saturday, February 2, 2013, 13:26:32 »

Ambition doesn't have to cost millions.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #1106 on: Saturday, February 2, 2013, 13:26:52 »

Why on earth not? Surely that's a good thing?? He could just as easily mean 'fighting chance of automatic promiotion'. Why oh why do some people have to a put a negative spin on everything?

Ask yourself: if you were coming in with a wealthy backer, who had a clear vision for the future progression and long-term stability of the club (the dream for us all right now supporting a club that lurches from ownership crisis to crisis), would 'a fighting chance' be the choice of words you'd go for as your first broadcast indication of your intentions for the club? None of us were negative about the Fitton takeover because his intentions were stated clearly and positively from the start.

Having said that, we all know Jed is not the most careful with his words (ellipses ellipses ellipses), so could be reading too much into it.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #1107 on: Saturday, February 2, 2013, 13:30:47 »

*(C) Sky Sports
Don;t fucking come on here as a newby trying to talk some sense - cunt.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1108 on: Saturday, February 2, 2013, 13:33:08 »

Having said that, we all know Jed is not the most careful with his words (ellipses ellipses ellipses), so could be reading too much into it.
That's pretty much what I'm saying.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1109 on: Saturday, February 2, 2013, 13:35:40 »

Don;t fucking come on here as a newby trying to talk some sense - cunt.

Two post before being called a cunt. That is almost unprecedented high praise indeed!
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 ... 131   Go Up
Print
Jump to: