Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 131   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sale of the Club  (Read 311838 times)
Barry Scott

« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 21:07:58 »

I'd rather new investors invest in new facilities and infrastructure as opposed to signings. I think we need someone who is prepared to help progress us but in a slower manner as opposed to going gun ho and spending big in the hope for instant promotions. Get a new stadium sorted, get a scouting network and proper youth system going. Get the club's rep back into this Town's good books rather than seeing people comment saying "Swindon are rubbish" or "Why on earth do you support Swindon they're a joke" etc.

I still feel that the last point exists widely amongst local residents here although less so since the current board took over.

It'll be a longer project and would probably mean less excitement on the pitch for a sustained period but it's what happens once the target is achieved. Swansea and Reading only began their rise once they moved to their new homes.

I raised a point a long time ago, and stated that (I'm trying not to be negative here) Swindon has become rather run down - to put in kindly. I know I like to hate the council, so I'll refrain here, but the town has deteriorated and deteriorated. The centre is a shell of a shit hole and it's not a nice place, easy place, or pleasant place to go.

As a result of this there's little to no civic pride in Swindon. Sure, most of us will defend the town, in the face of opposition, but amongst ourselves, most will slate it to high heaven. Reading, amongst others, had decent and effective regeneration, therefore giving the town some level of civic pride and, I believe, that good feeling has had a knock on effect on the football club.

I know there aren't many examples of this, but we do have many reasons to compare ourselves to Reading. And regeneration, to me, is something the club requires to grow it's fanbase and improve the general populace's feeling towards the club.

When talking of clubs, and the local pride in one's surroundings, you only need look to Brighton. Every Brighton resident's favourite subject is Brighton (the place) and they've got more plastics than you can shake a stick at. Although of course, correlation does not imply causation.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 21:12:15 »

I raised this point a long time ago, and I decided that (I'm trying not to be negative here) Swindon has become rather run down - to put in kindly. I know I like to hate the council, so I'll refrain here, but the town has deteriorated and deteriorated. The centre is a shell of a shit hole and it's not a nice place, easy place, or pleasant place to go.

As a result of this there's little to no civic pride in Swindon. Sure, most of us will defend the town, in the face of opposition, but amongst ourselves, most will slate it to high heaven. Reading, amongst others, had decent and effective regeneration, therefore giving the town some level of civic pride and, I believe that good feeling has had a knock on effect on the football club.

I know there aren't many examples of this, but we do have many reasons to compare ourselves to Reading and regeneration, to me, is something the club requires, to grow it's fanbase.

When talking of clubs, and the local pride in one's surroundings, you only need look to Brighton. Every Brighton resident's favourite subject is Brighton (the place) and they've got more plastics than you can shake a stick at. Although of course, correlation does not imply causation.

I don't think there's a great lack of pride about swindon. I think, generally, the population does quite well at coming together when something major happens - See two 30k trips to wembley and the support that Jahmene got and his welcoming. Even see how something like the Sian Callaghan case brought people from the town together (the mass candle-vigil thing at the polo ground).

So when there's something worth shouting about, the people of swindon are more than ready to jump up and shout about it. The town just lacks anything consistent to shout about (which may have been your point).

Things get better but they never get good
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 21:17:04 »

The people of Swindon are unified in it's own shitness in a kind of way... We dont think it's shit because it's all we're used to, and anything not shit is put on a pedestal and over celebrated, thus making it a bit shit. I for one like wallowing in my own shit and so love living in and supporting Swindon.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 21:27:59 »

Just read this, probably bull but could be interesting: -

Al Waleed is currently involved in an ongoing dialogue with the directors of Swindon Town Football Club, England. Al Waleed was introduced to the football club by former UN Diplomat, Sir William Patey, who has been handed the task of selling the football club on behalf of major shareholder and Betfair founder, Andrew Black. Al Waleed's son is said to be very keen on English football and it is thought should the due dilligence be completed, he will have an active role in running the club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Waleed_bin_Talal

Not a big fan of the Saudi's I must say
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 21:42:56 »

A city like Brighton has obvious heritage and other 'unique selling points' that makes it appealing to outsiders and a source of interest / pride / vibrancey to locals. Swindon less so. New development is pretty unambitious, and cultural amenities, for example are desperately poor for a town of its size. It could be argued that alongside its railway heritage, Swindon's most notable positive is its professional football league club.

Ideally, I'd like to see club ownership that redevelops the CG, supports the manager with a realistic and competitive budget, and that has an exit strategy that doesn't cause apoplexy amongst the locals (media and fans).
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 22:02:22 »

I raised a point a long time ago, and stated that (I'm trying not to be negative here) Swindon has become rather run down - to put in kindly. I know I like to hate the council, so I'll refrain here, but the town has deteriorated and deteriorated. The centre is a shell of a shit hole and it's not a nice place, easy place, or pleasant place to go.

As a result of this there's little to no civic pride in Swindon. Sure, most of us will defend the town, in the face of opposition, but amongst ourselves, most will slate it to high heaven. Reading, amongst others, had decent and effective regeneration, therefore giving the town some level of civic pride and, I believe, that good feeling has had a knock on effect on the football club.

I know there aren't many examples of this, but we do have many reasons to compare ourselves to Reading. And regeneration, to me, is something the club requires to grow it's fanbase and improve the general populace's feeling towards the club.

If I was gay, and not already married (etc etc) I could marry you.  Agree with every word of that.  Swindon - but particularly its centre - could be so much better than it is at the moment.  So much of the town's life has been shunted out to the outskirts - but the Club is still there in the middle.  Any local politician with any imagination will realise that STFC could be a catalyst for rescuing the town centre from its malaise.  We have to sort our own problems out first, however.
red sheldon

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 22:44:44 »

I'd rather new investors invest in new facilities and infrastructure as opposed to signings. I think we need someone who is prepared to help progress us but in a slower manner as opposed to going gun ho and spending big in the hope for instant promotions. Get a new stadium sorted, get a scouting network and proper youth system going. Get the club's rep back into this Town's good books rather than seeing people comment saying "Swindon are rubbish" or "Why on earth do you support Swindon they're a joke" etc.

I still feel that the last point exists widely amongst local residents here although less so since the current board took over.

It'll be a longer project and would probably mean less excitement on the pitch for a sustained period but it's what happens once the target is achieved. Swansea and Reading only began their rise once they moved to their new homes.

Agree completely, I don't understand why Black and Fitton didn't progress the stadium further in their 4 years(?) I know there was the relegation, but attendances have been good, and they have banged on about making the ground increase revenue for the club.  Buying one player will be great for a couple of years getting a greatly improved Town End with boxes, will last for ever, and it will have to last that long 

Stegenfreud

Say what now?

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 22:50:54 »

Great post.

I think a redeveloped CG would go along way in starting to achieve greater civic pride in swindon, hopefully you would see the town centre and other areas fall in line too. Now just for someone willing to fund it...

simon FERRY cross the avon... do do.
lambourn red

« Reply #83 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 22:51:58 »

Everything on wikipedia is 100% accurate.

Are man certainly knows him therefore it must be true 

[url width=380 height=253]http://www.mideast-times.com/photos/big/xxxba.JPG[/url]
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 23:13:34 »

Agree completely, I don't understand why Black and Fitton didn't progress the stadium further in their 4 years(?) I know there was the relegation, but attendances have been good, and they have banged on about making the ground increase revenue for the club.  Buying one player will be great for a couple of years getting a greatly improved Town End with boxes, will last for ever, and it will have to last that long 

There are so many positive to support the development of the stadium and the potential for commercially successful uses that i think it does represent a great opportunity. I don't know Swindon that well these days but a site for a decent hotel, grade A offices etc in the town centre seems a good opportunity for the club to get that 365 day revenue stream that all clubs need to prosper.

However from a development point of view it really isnt an easy site for a number of reasons. A key one is the tenure, the club are still only tenants and no lender etc is likley to even look at a development of that scale without the club having a decent lease period (probably 75 years +), I imagine that the owners have had to spend substantial time getting the landlord to accept they are legit (through no fault of their own, just becauise of the previous owners!) hopefully if a decent lease can now be negotiated that should move things forward.

The other thing to bear in mind is that their ownership has coincided with the downturn, the property and development market is still fairly stagnant and very up and down month on month, funding is still scarce and whilst our owners are very wealthy people they would not fund this on their own so they need bank funding.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 01:09:08 »

I'd like a club firstly, then I'd want it to be soundly run, who are competing in whatever league they're in (hopefully the championship next season), no administration or threat of and a nice new Town End, with a bit of money going towards improving the squad...not too much to ask is it?!  Cheesy (if there is anything I've missed please point out/add/delete)

#VivaKenBarlow!
LittleRed

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 03:27:41 »

I'd like a club firstly, then I'd want it to be soundly run, who are competing in whatever league they're in (hopefully the championship next season), no administration or threat of and a nice new Town End, with a bit of money going towards improving the squad...not too much to ask is it?!  Cheesy (if there is anything I've missed please point out/add/delete)

Id just like this cloud to be sorted out. I work in Oxford and im thinking about havin a week off as i cant handle the scummers at the moment. I just dont think it will be sorted out that quickly. This sort of stuff does not seem to ever go smoothely at STFC. All the positive vibes but still no firm bids or letters of intent make me nervous as if its all just spin, remembering that black has been trying for a while. If these guys were that loaded they would not care about the current debt or cost of buying blacks controlling stake.
fatbasher

« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 07:24:16 »

Fitton has not ruled out a come back in sort of capacity on the radio this morning.
Flashheart

« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 07:26:10 »

Fitton has not ruled out a come back in sort of capacity on the radio this morning.

He'd make a great scout.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 08:07:03 »

Does this mean Curly Withers is retiring?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 131   Go Up
Print
Jump to: