Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 131   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sale of the Club  (Read 310949 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 16:13:39 »

Liverpool tried doing it, when they signed Carroll, Downing etc last season. Didn't quite work out though!

You sure they were using sabermetrics, rather than just having a fuckwit of a manager?
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 16:32:24 »

John Henry has nothing to do with Moneyball

Billy Beane is good mates with Damien Comolli, I think that's how Liverpool started with the whole sabermetrics stuff.

I find it quite fascinating but I honestly don't think it works in football.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 16:41:04 »

Agree, you can't really judge footballers on their stats whereas you most certainly can in baseball.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 16:42:48 »

Is Peter Ridsdale still available to be our new chairman, with Sandy Gray doing the accounts, and Bob Holt as head of media relations
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 17:08:52 »

Anyone else fed up of reading the 'Administration' thread, when admin is - we hope - very much a last resort?  This story is going to run for quite some time, so maybe a thread with a more positive (and accurate) heading would be a better place to discuss.

However you want to dress it up, the previous thread does highlight the precarious state the club is in right now.

The latest thoughts from the Adver for what they're worth is that, there are 2 foreign statements of interest but as yet no more. Call me a cunt, but I'm not overly thrilled by the general history of English football clubs being foreign owned. It wil certainly make it more difficult to register protest if we get shafted....no painting of Newbury driveways.
Coca Fola

« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 17:13:21 »

I also feel uneasy about foreign ownership, particularly non-Europeans who don't come from big football backgrounds..
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 17:19:31 »

However you want to dress it up, the previous thread does highlight the precarious state the club is in right now.

The latest thoughts from the Adver for what they're worth is that, there are 2 foreign statements of interest but as yet no more. Call me a cunt, but I'm not overly thrilled by the general history of English football clubs being foreign owned. It wil certainly make it more difficult to register protest if we get shafted....no painting of Newbury driveways.
for the love of all that is holy, stop it
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 17:24:55 »

Who is 'dressing up' what?

Administration is one possible outcome to the situation the Club presently finds itself in.  There are several others.  I'll agree with you that the uncertainty is far from ideal - but your comment implies that we should accept the worst possible outcome as a default assumption.  And I'm not that sort of person, sorry.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 17:26:15 »

OK master Youth...let's have a little debate about foreign ownership of English football clubs. Wimbledon's Norwegian owners were good weren't they, the Franchise ended up in Milton Keynes and Wimbledon in non-league.
Flashheart

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 17:30:54 »

He's not had the opportunity for a moan for a while. Needs to get it out of his system.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 17:31:53 »

OK master Youth...let's have a little debate about foreign ownership of English football clubs. Wimbledon's Norwegian owners were good weren't they, the Franchise ended up in Milton Keynes and Wimbledon in non-league.
if i believed for a moment you were posting in an attempt to engage serious debate, as opposed to pure scaremongering and proclaiming doom, i wouldn't disagree with you

but you're sounding a lot like this:

[url width=400 height=300]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WaaPzMNSCEg/TzzcnvUVYYI/AAAAAAAABRw/uczYEHTr9s4/s1600/end-is-near.jpg[/url]

(the former chairman of Wimbledon FC was voted as Norway's best boss in 2005)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 17:43:08 »

if i believed for a moment you were posting in an attempt to engage serious debate, as opposed to pure scaremongering and proclaiming doom, i wouldn't disagree with you

but you're sounding a lot like this:

[url width=400 height=300]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WaaPzMNSCEg/TzzcnvUVYYI/AAAAAAAABRw/uczYEHTr9s4/s1600/end-is-near.jpg[/url]

No...I'm quite capable of serious debate about football...I'll give you examples of foreign or possibly foreign ownership of football clubs and see if you agree, that on balance, there are things thaty should concern us.

Let's talk about Stoke when they were owned by Icelanders, or Hearts and the good Mr Romanaov....Cork City and Best Holdings or someone I'm sure is close to your heart, Coventry City
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 17:43:35 »

Sorry, but that's up there with Devizes Lawn Bowls Club Player of the Season. Not sure that will be enough to put Reg off his stride.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 17:49:28 »

Are that not plenty of examples of English/British owners fucking up too Reg?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 17:51:15 »

No...I'm quite capable of serious debate about football...I'll give you examples of foreign or possibly foreign ownership of football clubs and see if you agree, that on balance, there are things thaty should concern us.

Let's talk about Stoke when they were owned by Icelanders, or Hearts and the good Mr Romanaov....Cork City and Best Holdings or someone I'm sure is close to your heart, Coventry City

no disagreements from me, just suggesting that you are jumping the gun somewhat when we have absolutely no knowledge of the potential owners.

Sorry, but that's up there with Devizes Lawn Bowls Club Player of the Season. Not sure that will be enough to put Reg off his stride.

are you kidding? it's a clear indication that he was awesome cos he is norsk
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 131   Go Up
Print
Jump to: