I have a pretty old d-link router with Virgin, which doesn't enable me to get wifi through the whole of the house - despite playing with all the settings and boosting the signal to the max. I have historically got around the problem with ring main adapters/homeplugs. However, since most of the family now have smartphones (and our house seems to be in a crap area for O2 internet reception) and laptops, I want to improve the wifi coverage in the house.
I know little about networking, but have been struggling through the internet trying to see what might be a cheap and simple solution. I was thinking about this:http://www.ebuyer.com/169923-tenda-wireless-n150-access-point-router-extender-w311r-
and combining it with this:http://www.ebuyer.com/132456-tenda-5-port-10-100-switch-s105
I thought that I could then have:
- Virgin router (802.11g/b) in my study wired into a homeplug
- Homeplug in room at other side of house linked into 5 port switch
- 5 port switch linked to Xbox and router extender
- Extender then provides wireless access (802.11n/g/b) in a part of the house where I only currently get intermittent wifi
My questions are:
1. Is my logic sound and will it work?
2. Is this the best way to go ?
3. Is there another piece of kit I should get instead? (Mixed reviews on this stuff saying its hard to set up)
Any suggestions ?