Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nexus 4 or Galaxy S3?  (Read 6822 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 09:18:07 »

Right then TEF, it's new phone time and I'm torn betwixt the two.

Need something that's going to stand me good for 24 months.

S3 seems good because it's got expandable storage and a removable battery, but the Nexus has vanilla Android and will get updates quicker.

What say you?
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 09:58:35 »

I am also due an upgrade so will follow this with interest.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 10:18:05 »

I have an S3 and like it very much.

Only complaints are that Kies often doesn't recognise my phone when I connect it via USB, the phone is a bit too large for my girly hands and I've had a few problems recently with it randomly rebooting itself.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 10:21:33 »

What's the battery life like?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 10:28:21 »

I'm looking to get an N4, I don't really use my phone for media so I reckon the 8GB should be fine. Its the £230 price tag that attracts me most!

But I've only had a quick play in CPW, so no really help. Plus there seems to be more chance of making one myself than google satisfying demand..OOS everywhere.

FWIW a couple of N4 issues I have seen reported are:
 - Glass back cracks (LG have changed the glass on later models)
 - Poor performance on low WiFi bands. I saw someone say he had 2 N4 and the later purchased one had better performance than the earlier one...
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 10:35:47 »

What's the battery life like?
Better than my iPhone 4 ever was.

Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 11:36:42 »

I'm looking to get an N4, I don't really use my phone for media so I reckon the 8GB should be fine. Its the £230 price tag that attracts me most!

But I've only had a quick play in CPW, so no really help. Plus there seems to be more chance of making one myself than google satisfying demand..OOS everywhere.

FWIW a couple of N4 issues I have seen reported are:
 - Glass back cracks (LG have changed the glass on later models)
 - Poor performance on low WiFi bands. I saw someone say he had 2 N4 and the later purchased one had better performance than the earlier one...

Ta for the info. It's OOS direct from Google but available from a network on contract. Works out more expensive on a contract I know, but price doesn't really bother me, it's for work and the boss basically said "what phone do you want?".
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 07:52:40 »

My missus has an S3 and likes it very much. Its much better than my S2, and that's an impressive phone (despite an inherent design fault). I know nowt about the N4, but bear in mind the S3 has been about for a while now, and I've seen rumours of its replacement (S4) imminent.
Barry Scott

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 08:07:44 »

My missus has an S3 and likes it very much. Its much better than my S2, and that's an impressive phone (despite an inherent design fault). I know nowt about the N4, but bear in mind the S3 has been about for a while now, and I've seen rumours of its replacement (S4) imminent.

My mate's missus works for Samsung and has been testing the S4 for months, it's her everyday phone.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 09:26:15 »

I realise that whatever I get will be replaced with new tech in a matter of months, but that's just the way things work with 24 month contracts.

S3 seems the best option for me.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 11:24:06 »

I don't think you can go wrong with either, both great phones. I'm aiming to get myself an N4 in the next couple of months if they ever come back in stock on Google Play.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 11:27:28 »

I realise that whatever I get will be replaced with new tech in a matter of months, but that's just the way things work with 24 month contracts.

S3 seems the best option for me.

Fair enough, but I secretly know you are a techie geek.....
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 11:53:23 »

It's not exactly a secret.

The Nexus would be good purely for getting Android updates before anyone else, but the S3 has more geeky stuff due to TouchWiz.

Although I have just read that Samsung have a policy of stopping Android updates 18 or 24 months after release. As that will be part way during the contract, I might go for the Nexus.

Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 12:37:22 »

It's not exactly a secret.

The Nexus would be good purely for getting Android updates before anyone else, but the S3 has more geeky stuff due to TouchWiz.

Although I have just read that Samsung have a policy of stopping Android updates 18 or 24 months after release. As that will be part way during the contract, I might go for the Nexus.

All part of the manufacturer's con to get you to get their latest handset release every 24 months or so.

I'd deffo go with a Nexus 4 over a S3 even though the S3 is a very nice phone.

For the price tag it's very much worth it.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2013, 16:32:11 »

Little bump. Went for the Nexus 4 in the end, seems like a good decision. Some battery drain issues, but that's supposed to be fixed in the next Android update.

Heads up for those looking to buy a Nexus 4, Play Store will have them back in stock from tomorrow afternoon.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: