Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Town fans' views on PDC  (Read 12120 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2013, 10:06:25 »

Oh and RWB Robin....excellent post.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2013, 10:07:33 »

Will become one of our best ever managers if he gets us to where he wants us.

The crucial thing for me is what we do when he leaves. Paolo will have built foundations for many years so when the time does come when he leaves we have to get a manager in place who has the same principles to drive this club forward.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2013, 10:08:53 »

Go to Mex's pub and have a chat to him.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2013, 10:34:04 »

Will become one of our best ever managers if he gets us to where he wants us.

The crucial thing for me is what we do when he leaves. Paolo will have built foundations for many years so when the time does come when he leaves we have to get a manager in place who has the same principles to drive this club forward.

I think one of the things people haven't touched on yet is the effect he's having at the club that'll be here after he's gone. His willingness to chuck home-grown players who previously had no caps to their name into the front line is something to be respected. Bedwell did well when Wes got hoiked off at PNE. Nathan Thompson's made a right name for himself now. Miles Storey, well there is some over-reaction as to his talent, especially having only seen him in the Villa game myself, but he's going to come on to be a really great player. Louis Thompson is getting the odd cap here and there, even with our midfield as it is. I mean four players does not a team make, but if you look at all the youth that's come and gone through the club without even catching a glimpse of the first team (at least in my lifetime), you really have to respect the legacy Paolo's building here.

Some could say that's Paul Bodin's doing, but I think it's less the leadership of the youth team themselves, and more Paolo's mentality, technical knowledge, and training. Plus it must be pretty bloody inspiring to be told you're a good player by Paolo di bloody Canio....

Will be very sad to see him go when he does. Wish he could stay here forever, but I fear he has a great managerial career ahead of him and will be sorely missed. I mentioned on the Mangerial Merry go round thread about his politics, so I won't repeat it. I am so, SO proud to have the privilege to see Swindon Town play under one of the best spells of management we've seen in twenty years, especially as I missed all our good periods, and my main early memories of the Town are under Andy King...
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2013, 10:44:08 »

And how did you fans take to his style of footie? It took some time for Albion fans to get their heads around a patient passing game but we're loving it now.

The thing I think a lot of people looking in from the outside don't realise about Di Canio's brand of football is he doesn't really play the patient passing game at all.

When he is able to impose his style on a match, it leads to a high-tempo, frenetic game based on a belief in superior fitness levels to the opposition and greater desire from his players, pressurising the opposition to win the ball high up the pitch, getting the ball up the pitch as fast as possible (whether that be long balls, balls into channels or passages of short intricate passing) and trying to score from the first minute to the last.

When this works, as it has been recently, it's probably the most exciting and dominant brand of football i've watched at the CG. But it requires the players to be 100% committed in every game and unsurprisingly this doesn't always happen.
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2013, 11:12:09 »

L2 champions
Cup Wembley finalists
Multiple giant killings
Sexy football
L1 promotion candidates
Significantly increased media coverage

I'll take that

This. Imagine if we still had someone like Paul Hart...
Barry Scott

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2013, 11:33:14 »

The thing I think a lot of people looking in from the outside don't realise about Di Canio's brand of football is he doesn't really play the patient passing game at all.

When he is able to impose his style on a match, it leads to a high-tempo, frenetic game based on a belief in superior fitness levels to the opposition and greater desire from his players, pressurising the opposition to win the ball high up the pitch, getting the ball up the pitch as fast as possible (whether that be long balls, balls into channels or passages of short intricate passing) and trying to score from the first minute to the last.

When this works, as it has been recently, it's probably the most exciting and dominant brand of football i've watched at the CG. But it requires the players to be 100% committed in every game and unsurprisingly this doesn't always happen.

Completely agree. Di Canio's football is like the man: energetic, unrestrained, open, vibrant, fluent and attacking. There's nothing patient about it, unless it's called for.

I recall a few games where he's let the opposition do what they want up until the final third, then press hard, hunt in packs and break at pace in numbers.

He's a man that changes tactics and personnel on a whim, he studies the opposition to such a degree, players and styles of play vary depending on the opposition.

He doesn't do the usual, as expected, 60-70 minute subs that other managers do, he actually changes players when he wants. 20 mins, 40 mins whenever, he knows what he is doing.

Sometimes his personality grates, and if we're not playing great he can rile me as much as thisis, but when we're playing well, he's a genius, we're unplayable (relatively speaking) and I want his babies.

One thing I love about him (forgetting his loyalty and total desire to win) is he's man enough to admit mistakes and he's able to change and adapt in a footballing sense - you don't leave Coverciano as number 1 for being unskilled.

If he can learn to manage his ability to deal with flawed and lazy players (doubtful - he demands 110%, at all times, no excuses) he could be a top, top manager.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2013, 12:51:45 »

Enjoying every minute of it, the ups and the downs.

In terms of the perception on budget, if I am right, our budget this season for expenditure is very similar to the two seasons Wilson had here.  The only real difference is we spent a little bit on buying someone, but even that was more than we had believed we would pay, hence the embargo.  So while he has had freedom to make decisions on players, in and out, in rapid succession, he is not operating on some mammoth budget that we haven't really seen here before.  I'd hazard a guess that this time we are seeing more players come and go but on less money than we may have paid before for a smaller squad (so each earning more on average).

Compared to Managers of the past, well McMahan was allowed to spend close to £400,000k on a striker at this level, and Hoddle had a team with players generally purchased for cash.  Macari was the last man to work wonders on a real shoestring, much of which was gained by telling the FA we were paying the players less than we were to work the tribunal system and the taxman!  Still, worked out alright eventually!
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 8, 2013, 12:54:29 by RobertT » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2013, 14:16:46 »

In terms of the perception on budget, if I am right, our budget this season for expenditure is very similar to the two seasons Wilson had here.  The only real difference is we spent a little bit on buying someone, but even that was more than we had believed we would pay, hence the embargo.  So while he has had freedom to make decisions on players, in and out, in rapid succession, he is not operating on some mammoth budget that we haven't really seen here before.  I'd hazard a guess that this time we are seeing more players come and go but on less money than we may have paid before for a smaller squad (so each earning more on average).

Surprising to me if that's true. My perception is based on bringing in the likes of Atiku, Comazzi, Lanzano and paying them up as soon as, then bringing in the like of Rooney and shipping them out on loan and falling out with Clarke and Caddis.

It feels like we've wasted loads of money, even if that isn't reality.
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2013, 15:23:44 »

L2 champions
Cup Wembley finalists
Multiple giant killings
Sexy football
L1 promotion candidates

I'll take that

Yeah me too
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2013, 15:24:25 »

Can't stand him, looking forward to his departure
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2013, 16:58:18 »

L2 champions
Cup Wembley finalists
Multiple giant killings
Sexy football
L1 promotion candidates

I'll take that

That sums it up perfectly
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2013, 17:55:37 »

The best.

You just know the players have to give 100% and that is what fans want.

It will be a sad and quiet place when he goes, but STFC goes on.
For now loving every minute in these difficult times.

Look forward to every game like a kid looks forward to Christmas.
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2013, 18:17:58 »

My question is this: how do Town fans now feel about PDC as manager? Have the stay-aways because of his politics warmed to him or is there still bad blood?

I'm not convinced there were many stay away fans. We had dropped to division 4 before PDC had managed a game and was always going to lose a few fans.
There has been the odd one or two fruit loops on here who threw their toys out of the pram.
I've enjoyed the football, great entertainment. I've enjoyed the mans honesty, for too long we've had managers telling us we have just watched a triffic game and it was crap.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2013, 19:24:08 »

Welcome oldboy and congrats on your win over Newcastle.
Poyet has them playing some nice footie.

As for Paolo it has been an incredible time with him at the helm,me personally there has been times like the Fotheringham incident i have wondered if he would last.....i have said this before but i feel the passing of both his parents in the last year or so has probably made a manic man a little more mannicker(new word there).
He reminds me of Brian Clough in a way...the way he used to keep the Forest board and the fans on there toes.
I think the league is there for the winning...and fairly comfortably in my view......will Paolo be here this time next year....only he can answer that.....or can he Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: