Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best seaside towns?  (Read 6415 times)
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 23:35:29 »

Would love to have seen that. I did spot a seal in St Ives harbour and informed every passer by tourist, all of whom were equally enchanted by the sight, though talking to a local fisherman it turns out to be an everyday occurence there.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 00:01:49 »

Would love to have seen that. I did spot a seal in St Ives harbour and informed every passer by tourist, all of whom were equally enchanted by the sight, though talking to a local fisherman it turns out to be an everyday occurence there.
seals getting washed up onto the Cornish beaches is common, the seal sanctuary down there  do a great job of saving and fixing up dozens of them and then release them back to the sea for another chance. if you've never been out on a boat trip along the coast line it's well worth it and there's a good chance you'll see a seal of two.
carbonwhite

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 02:17:24 »

Polperro, if that's the place your talking about was once the most painted village/harbour in Cornwall. Great for couples but not a great deal for children unless the tide is out and then there's a cave you can explore that's supposed to be haunted by a smuggler ( Willy Wilcox) It was a popular choice for smugglers and was used as recent as the 1970's. Polperro has managed to keep its roots pretty much intact and is a great example of a proper Cornish fishing village. Floods did horrendous damage similar to Boscastle a few years back but measures were put in place to prevent a repeat.
Yes that's the place, the cave was pretty cool but mainly went for the fishing, we stayed near Mullion.
dporter

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 11:08:49 »

seals getting washed up onto the Cornish beaches is common, the seal sanctuary down there  do a great job of saving and fixing up dozens of them and then release them back to the sea for another chance. if you've never been out on a boat trip along the coast line it's well worth it and there's a good chance you'll see a seal of two.

They do boat trips out just to see the seals and you get to feed them too. As you say, well worth it.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 11:13:19 »

I once saw a basking shark while i was fishing in Deal on the old concrete harbour wall.

Apparently not to much of an uncommon appearance.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 11:31:16 »

Is there a big clubbing scene down there as well?
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 11:57:11 »

Eek Eek

Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 12:13:39 »

Most of the younger seals head into Newquay on the weekends for the bigger clubs  Wink
Have you been out on a boat from Looe Leefer? You get a lot of sharks up close when your out in the bay. It used to be the shark fishing HQ for England, I'll have to ( fish ) out a photo I've got taken with a 420lb shark they landed a few years ago, that's now not allowed and they are I think tagged and released. Looe had its own resident Seal named Nelson, it had been coming into the harbour for 20 odd years and my little uns used to feed him by hand. He died a few years ago but they now have a bronze life size statue of him set on a big rock in the harbour/river.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 12:23:20 by Notts red » Logged
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 12:22:10 »

Clap

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 12:30:03 »

Most of the younger seals head into Newquay on the weekends for the bigger clubs  Wink
Have you been out on a boat from Looe Leefer? You get a lot of sharks up close when your out in the bay. It used to be the shark fishing HQ for England, I'll have to ( fish ) out a photo I've got taken with a 420lb shark they landed a few years ago, that's now not allowed and they are I think tagged and released. Looe had its own resident Seal named Nelson, it had been coming into the harbour for 20 odd years and my little uns used to feed him by hand. He died a few years ago but they now have a bronze life size statue of him set on a big rock in the harbour/river.

No i havn't but i have seen the statue....the road into Looe following the river and railway is a brilliant drive in the lorry!
If you like your birdlife it is also a mecca with the river harbour attracting all sorts.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 12:43:52 »

No i havn't but i have seen the statue....the road into Looe following the river and railway is a brilliant drive in the lorry!
If you like your birdlife it is also a mecca with the river harbour attracting all sorts.
Up where the river splits there are a few herons or cranes nesting on the far bank, I've spent hours attempting to catch mullet etc up there and they come along taking the piss catching them with ease  Smiley we walk are mad springer up through the woods following the river to get away from the crowds if we're down there during school holidays.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 13:02:16 »

Going to spend tomorrow afternoon on the north Wales coast prior to the Tranny game.

Planning to check out the sea front at Rhyl but any other recommendations for that area of the world are welcomed
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: