Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekend in Calne  (Read 8884 times)
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 18:00:38 »

I think I know who you might be Jan, do you have a younger brother? Did U wear a tam a shanti for the England v Scotland game in euro 96 at the jolly?

Yeah, rather embarrassingly I did, although I am the younger brother, unless there's something my mum and dad never  told me.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 21:06:07 »

Makes you appreciate how lucky you are living in Wiltshire once you've lived in places like St Anne's. I was born and brought up just around the corner from there in Hyson Green, which is arguable worse than St Anne's and when I moved to Wiltshire it was a real culture shock. Most of my family still live dotted around Nottingham but it's a relief to know my Children can go out in relative safety down here. As you can imagine we get lots of visits from my relatives who love this area and you wouldn't find them moaning about places like Calne.  Smiley

Good to be back in Calne. The guy I spoke to in the off license in St Annes told me not to stray into Hyson Green  Yes
Calne is really not so bad as many on here make out. Certainly true Notts, we can go about our lives relatively unphased in Wiltshire, not having to worry unduly about where is safe or not to venture. Notts City centre is pretty good in fairness. Impressive central square, something that Swindon lacks. Infact where's our focal point?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 21:17:37 »

Haven't you heard of the seven wonders of Swindon?

http://www.jasperfforde.com/swindon/7wonders.html
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 21:20:55 »

Haven't you heard of the seven wonders of Swindon?

http://www.jasperfforde.com/swindon/7wonders.html

http://www.jasperfforde.com/swindon/7ws_3.html

Dr. Sugg's original design is a thing of sinuous beauty.

apparently one of my ancestors i've never heard of designed "The Double Helix of Carfax"

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 21:38:36 »

Infact where's our focal point?

Know what you mean.  I honestly cannot think of one.  Usually a public space outside the Town Hall or a market square etc. fronted by some architecture that means something.  If town planners hadn't butchered Swindon over the years, it might possibly have been Regents Circus...with a rejuvenated Baptist Tabernacle?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 21:40:37 »

The urinal/fountain or Wharf Green.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 21:44:54 »

Good to be back in Calne. The guy I spoke to in the off license in St Annes told me not to stray into Hyson Green  Yes
Calne is really not so bad as many on here make out. Certainly true Notts, we can go about our lives relatively unphased in Wiltshire, not having to worry unduly about where is safe or not to venture. Notts City centre is pretty good in fairness. Impressive central square, something that Swindon lacks. Infact where's our focal point?
Glad you had a good weekend apart from the result, there's good and bad in everywhere just on different scales. I still enjoy going back to the places mentioned and seeing the changes, things go in cycles and areas what were once really run down aren't too bad now and vice versa. Towns like Calne are no worse than Trowbridge or Melksham, poor relations to the posher towns of Chippenham and Devizes  Wink Anyway Dostoyevsky, you spent the night in St Anne's and lived to tell the tale  Smiley
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 22:17:35 »

Manny road
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 23:47:21 »

Haha, how can you compare Calne to Nottingham, it's about 20 times the size.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #39 on: Monday, November 26, 2012, 16:12:49 »

Good stuff...I got a bit confused earlier, when seeing Jayo who I thought was in Paris, but obviously not.

Sorry old boy, I'm going to Paris on Friday.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, November 26, 2012, 16:18:44 »

I have never been to Calne and in fact I don't even know where it is.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, November 26, 2012, 16:25:42 »

Just outside Brighton
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Monday, November 26, 2012, 17:00:05 »

I have never been to Calne and in fact I don't even know where it is.

Often gets confused with Colne, which is in Lancashire, itself not to be confused with Koln, which Bomber Command reduced to dust 1942-45....Colne Dynamoes, were a sort of 80's Rushden and Diamonds, but were thwarted in their ambitions by the refusal of the Conference to admit them. I've never been to Colne, or Koln
DMR

« Reply #43 on: Monday, November 26, 2012, 17:09:55 »

Often gets confused with Colne, which is in Lancashire, itself not to be confused with Koln, which Bomber Command reduced to dust 1942-45....Colne Dynamoes, were a sort of 80's Rushden and Diamonds, but were thwarted in their ambitions by the refusal of the Conference to admit them. I've never been to Colne, or Koln

I do love a good fable Reginald but I can safely say I have never met anyone who confuses Colne with Calne
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Monday, November 26, 2012, 17:17:44 »

I have.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: