Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Children's Tablet Computers  (Read 23156 times)
justboiledover

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 20:45:01 »

Fair enough red socks. Hoping this will move me further up the que for the pc and the wife can have her iphone back on long journeys!
I'm hoping that there is a kindle app out there that I can put on them
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 21:08:55 »

Keep up Pieman, Suggs posted that Family Guy clip on the last page.

didn't show up in my browser for some reason
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 21:23:45 »

I shall be getting a Galaxy Tab2 for the wife (and almost 4 year old) for Xmas. Having played with that, the Kindle Fire and iPad mini last weekend, it was the best for my needs. Strangely, the Kindle app on the Galaxy is nice than the official Kindle Fire version, if that's important to you.....
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 22:05:59 »

I'm tempted to ask for a tablet for christmas (Probably iPad or iPad mini as i'm a mainstream dickhead)

to use in lectures, cant work out if i would make me look like a colossal cunt tapping away on it though.

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 22:06:26 »

it would
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 22:09:04 »

I won't bother then. Ta.

joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 22:15:21 »

I shall be getting a Galaxy Tab2 for the wife (and almost 4 year old) for Xmas. Having played with that, the Kindle Fire and iPad mini last weekend, it was the best for my needs. Strangely, the Kindle app on the Galaxy is nice than the official Kindle Fire version, if that's important to you.....

We spent a couple of hours in John Lewis on Sunday trying them all out and chatting to a very knowledgeable young lad who knew everything there was to know about each.  We've decided to go for the Samsung Galaxy with the attached pen, as my son got on better with it.  Now I can't remeber if it's the Note or Tab2?  That's a bit more expensive though and tbh we're only spending that much because I'm getting a decent redundancy payout.

The Amazon Kindle Fire came highly recommended though and was substantially less in price around £130 I think?  We may get that for our younger son.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 22:18:05 »

The Google Nexus range are very good and well priced for the spec. The only bad point about them is the lack of expandable storage space (no SD card slot).
red socks

« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 23:28:13 »

I'm tempted to ask for a tablet for christmas (Probably iPad or iPad mini as i'm a mainstream dickhead)

to use in lectures, cant work out if i would make me look like a colossal cunt tapping away on it though.

What might make you a bit of  a cunt imo is that you are "tempted to ask for tablet for Christmas" I was grateful for a tangerine and a walnut when I was a lad.....
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 23:37:23 by red socks » Logged
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 00:26:54 »

The Amazon Kindle Fire came highly recommended though and was substantially less in price around £130 I think?  We may get that for our younger son.

Aren't the Kindle tablets hacked a fair bit by Amazon to keep them within their eco-system. Not a problem if you're happy buying everything from Amazon, but otherwise it might be better to go with Google / Samsung.

Always worth having a go with one first especially if you've only ever seen / used an iPad before.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 12:34:41 »

Fair enough red socks. Hoping this will move me further up the que for the pc and the wife can have her iphone back on long journeys!
I'm hoping that there is a kindle app out there that I can put on them

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.kindle&hl=en
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 13:05:57 »

Aren't the Kindle tablets hacked a fair bit by Amazon to keep them within their eco-system. Not a problem if you're happy buying everything from Amazon, but otherwise it might be better to go with Google / Samsung.
Yes AFAIK you can't get plain vanilla Android Market on it, only the Amazon AppStore. Which as jonny says is fine if you're happy with that, but may not be what people are expecting from an Android tab. It's a lot more MS/Apple-style "Walled Garden" than most Android tabs

CPW seem to have the 7" Galaxy Tab for £150 less £30 cashback, so 120 quid (at some indeterminate point in the future) if you trust the cashback thing.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 16:57:50 »

So, all of a sudden I have a 4D-type question that is related to this thread.

Mrs NMH has said for me to sort out a laptop for Xmas for the kids - 15, 13 & 11. They have an old XP PC and XP laptop. Both have become incredibly slow. I'm thinking that I want to get them something a bit quicker that they can use to play Runescape go on FB etc but also to use for connecting to their school website and for doing research on and completing homework.

So, the 4D question of the day is......

Should I be looking at a Windows laptop, a Samsung 7' or 10' Tablet (sor something like that) and iPad or a MacBook ? 

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 17:12:08 »

I am also following this thread with interest...have a 5/6 yr old, he currently has a leapfrog thing, am weighing up the options of juist
 - buying more games etc for leapfrog
 - getting a ds (along with the 'unlocking')
 - getting a tablet of some descrption...

still deliberating, keep the advice coming
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 18:08:43 »

I am also following this thread with interest...have a 5/6 yr old, he currently has a leapfrog thing, am weighing up the options of juist
 - buying more games etc for leapfrog
 - getting a ds (along with the 'unlocking')
 - getting a tablet of some descrption...

still deliberating, keep the advice coming
Had a Leapfrog for my youngest - He just wanted his elder brothers DS !

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: