Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walsall FC v Swindon Town FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 30064 times)
fatbasher

« Reply #210 on: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 12:45:21 »

Richard Jefferies v Walcot schools used to get a bit juicy. Cheesy

Indeed they did. Walcot rule OK! soapy tit wank
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 12:45:49 »

With the greatest of respect, one thing I normally do is read up how much a ticket is before I go to a game, this saves any nasty surprises. Although I do think £17 is steep for a junior ticket.

If non registered junior red £12, if registered junior red free. Although initial charge of £25 to join plus ID needed for child.

That's home supporters though not away?
fatbasher

« Reply #212 on: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 12:50:46 »

Park would take on all comers....

Oakfield, pah what kind of pansy name is that? No wonder they demolished it.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 14:09:13 by fatbasher » Logged
ChinaWhitenRed

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 13:20:07 »

Are we talking about football teams or just people.  Im from Chippenham, lived in Calne for a couple of years growing up and have absolutely no opinion on the town of either place in terms of one being any better than the other.
Get yourself down to the library and read up on "The Chippenham vs Calne Skinhead Wars 1971-3"
Henry Kissinger was called in and brokered a peace treaty where all involved were encouraged to support Swindon Town The peace between the two towns and support of our beloved Town has continued to this day.

Change must come through the barrel of a gun
kerry red

« Reply #214 on: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 13:30:16 »

I was growing up in Chippenham in the early 70s and it was a right old rivalry.

No handbags in them days
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 13:46:53 »

Get yourself down to the library and read up on "The Chippenham vs Calne Skinhead Wars 1971-3"
Henry Kissinger was called in and brokered a peace treaty where all involved were encouraged to support Swindon Town The peace between the two towns and support of our beloved Town has continued to this day.

Ah.  I missed that, what with being age aged 0 to 2 and a bit at the time.

Never knowingly overstated.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 14:23:48 »

Talking of Calne... ventured into the Jenny Wren for a pint a couple of weeks ago for the first time in about 25 years... probably be another 25 years before i go there again... That is all...
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 15:04:56 »

Talking of Calne... ventured into the Jenny Wren for a pint a couple of weeks ago for the first time in about 25 years... probably be another 25 years before i go there again... That is all...
The Jenny Wren used to have a Sunday league side, not sure if they still do? And I've been in there after playing them a couple of times but that was years ago. A proper drinkers pub back then, and the blokes in there used to enjoy a pint too  Wink
jonah

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 15:34:52 »

Well bugger me! I used to live up the Jenny Wren end of town (and before anyone says it, yeah I know it's the rough end of town) - and used to walk past it every day on the way to school. Only ever been in the Jenny Wren about 3 times - including the time when England got knocked out of Euro 96 (back when I used to care about the national side).

Cor - some right old nostalgia flooding back to me.

Wiltshire boy born and bred - long in arm thick in 'ead.......
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 17:06:53 »

I thought it was Melksham who hated Devizes...and Malmesbury not enamoured of Calne. It's a shame we've lost the days, when lads from Old Swindon would meet lads from New Swindon for a punch up in the fields between the two towns.

There's the proof.  You were born in the 1850s.  All those jibes about Reg cheering Harold Fleming on from the terraces were true.

Out of interest, when did New Swindon coalesce with what is now Old Town?  The period when their were fields between the two must have been fairly short.  Both areas now fairly central by today's standards.  I saw an interesting old map a while back of the area that is broadly covered by the urban extension of modern day Swindon.  Interesting to see places like Swindon (Old Town), Rodbourne, Stratton and Shaw as separate villages.  Connected, very often, by country lanes that have now become urban in character (such as Wootton Bassett Road).
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 17:30:18 »

Live in Calne....and I'm from the deep south (Codford....home town Warmnster).

My opinion of Calne is that it's like Westbury.....factory town with no factory.

So now...just a big developed dorm town with lots of housing developments.

I like living here but don't rate the place as a town per say......

Clems Army!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 18:41:57 »

There's the proof.  You were born in the 1850s.  All those jibes about Reg cheering Harold Fleming on from the terraces were true.

Out of interest, when did New Swindon coalesce with what is now Old Town?  The period when their were fields between the two must have been fairly short.  Both areas now fairly central by today's standards.  I saw an interesting old map a while back of the area that is broadly covered by the urban extension of modern day Swindon.  Interesting to see places like Swindon (Old Town), Rodbourne, Stratton and Shaw as separate villages.  Connected, very often, by country lanes that have now become urban in character (such as Wootton Bassett Road).

Old maps show Walcot,Nythe and Eastcott....Manniington and Coate....bigger than Swindon,also Rodbourne Cheney is a very ancient place with lots of old history.

The Museum in old town has an old letter addressed to a Doctor in Swindon.

Bath Road,Swindon near Highworth Cheesy
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 18:42:26 »

New Swindon was started up approx 1840, and by 1850, there was still plenty of space between the 2 towns. By 1890 the 2 still hadn't coalesced...interestingly Old Swindon had expanded along Stafford St/Dixon Street, and also down the hill to Rolleston and Byron Street.

The only thoroughfare between the towns was Eastcott Hill....but about this time Victoria Road was being laid out and known as New  Road.

The 2 were amalgamated in 1900...and the tram network linking up both Old and New by 1904.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 18:43:59 »

Interesting to see places like Swindon (Old Town), Rodbourne, Stratton and Shaw as separate villages.  Connected, very often, by country lanes that have now become urban in character (such as Wootton Bassett Road).

In the two square kilometre blocks to  the north east of this quiet village   of Haydon Wick , is an area which is  
 growing very quickly faster than any   other in Thamesdown.                  

Up until five or six years ago these  two blocks were made up mostly of  fields on which beef and dairy cattle
 grazed.                              

Now about half this area has been used for building houses and before long we expect that the land left will       
 probably be developed for house  building as well.

BBC Domesday project, 1986
Flashheart

« Reply #224 on: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 18:44:53 »

You're right Ardiles

Reg isn't giving us a history lesson, he's reminiscing. 
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: