Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walsall FC v Swindon Town FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 29883 times)
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 21:17:03 »

My nan got blown off her back step by the Drove Road bomb.

Amazing that the town was not targetted more because of the industry here.
Flashheart

« Reply #241 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 21:23:14 »

Amazing that the town was not targetted more because of the industry here.

A tricky target considering Swindon is West of Britain. They would have had to fly over lots of hostile land to get here try to sneak in from the channel.
kerry red

« Reply #242 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 21:28:12 »

I heard Reg was tearing down blackout curtains in Oxford at the time
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 21:31:57 »

A tricky target considering Swindon is West of Britain. They would have had to fly over lots of hostile land to get here try to sneak in from the channel.

The Luftwaffe made it to Coventry which is just as far in land and did a pretty good job of it. I'm sure they could've gotten to Swindon if they wanted.
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 21:47:24 »

My nan-in-law tells me that Adolf went easy on Swindon as he thought the railways would be useful when Britain became part of his empire.

Would be surprised if anyone in Coventry were able to tell any difference before and after the bombing.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 21:59:54 »

Swindon can't be described as 'West of Britain' can it? Well it can, but it'd be wrong to.  Edinburgh's further west than Swindon, as it Aberdeen.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 22:01:06 »

My nan-in-law tells me that Adolf went easy on Swindon as he thought the railways would be useful when Britain became part of his empire.

Would be surprised if anyone in Coventry were able to tell any difference before and after the bombing.
the few original bits of Coventry that remain are actually really nice, it's a shame they did such a shitty job of rebuilding.

The Germans got Dresden, we got Coventry...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 22:10:55 »

Swindon can't be described as 'West of Britain' can it? Well it can, but it'd be wrong to.  Edinburgh's further west than Swindon, as it Aberdeen.

And Inverness is further west than Exeter..
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 22:22:39 »

the few original bits of Coventry that remain are actually really nice, it's a shame they did such a shitty job of rebuilding.

The Germans got Dresden, we got Coventry...

To be fair, much of Coventry's historic city centre was being demolished and rebuilt by the local authority before the start of the war, so the post-war reconstruction was not all to do with the Blitz.

I've nothing against the desire to replace the old with new, forward-thinking planning and design, so long as the plans create a place that functions well, can be maintained and is built to high standards. I'd rather see a radical new design than the historicist pastiche that plagues a lot of places, especially the mock-village housing estates that ruin townscapes and pretend to work well.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 23:10:42 »

A few weeks back I discovered Edinburgh is further west than Liverpool and was really surprised. Thought Newcastle was on approx the same latitude  Eek
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 06:58:49 »

A few weeks back I discovered Edinburgh is further west than Liverpool and was really surprised. Thought Newcastle was on approx the same latitude  Eek

Longitude Smiley
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 08:43:23 »

Maybe he thought Newcastle was in Scotland  Smiley
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 10:00:22 »

Plymouth is further west than here, and was hit by a greater proportion of bombs per capita than anywhere else in Britain (apparently)

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 11:52:30 »

Plymouth is further west than here, and was hit by a greater proportion of bombs per capita than anywhere else in Britain (apparently)

As a port, not much hostile land to fly over though.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 11:58:26 »

My Great uncle made plane parts in Swindon during ww2
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: