Pages: 1 ... 307 308 309 [310] 311 312 313 ... 469   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1629939 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4635 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 08:59:16 »

No point playing matches, may as well just compare balance sheets and award trophies on the back of who's got the most dosh. Play-offs between legal teams in the event of a tie
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4636 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 09:03:00 »

What I will say, having read a fair few CAS decisions/findings due to my cycling interests, is that CAS tend to be very thorough and its normally a balls up by the regulatory bodies that sees such things over turned.
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #4637 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 09:05:38 »

Man City overturning the ban is fucking ridiculous.

You broke the rules and there is no punishment, a tiny fine in terms of Man City.

Absolute fucking joke.

RIP FFP.

Absolutely this.  Angry

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #4638 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 10:33:10 »

Imagine if we'd have a decent, expensive team of lawyers in 1990.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4639 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 10:36:36 »

The League wouldn't have tried applying the punishment in the first place. cf Spurs and Chelsea the following season
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4640 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 10:37:27 »

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Man City probably spent more on their team of lawyers than we spent as an entire gate recipts for that whole season.

Definately them and us.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4641 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 10:45:03 »

As I have said before, I have no interest in the Premiership. Football to me starts at the Championship. I wish the premiership would disappear or become a global league.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #4642 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 12:57:12 »

As I have said before, I have no interest in the Premiership. Football to me starts at the Championship. I wish the premiership would disappear or become a global league.

I’m sure at some point it could well do and you’d get your wish but would kind of clash with the World Cup maybe? Or down grade the World Cup in a way that the FA Cup has been. In a similar vein someone posted about the huge amounts of money that Man City probably spent on lawyers as akin to our whole seasons gate receipts. When you consider how much the CL is worth it’s not surprising they probably did. That reinforces how big that competition is in financial terms and only a short step away from being a global league of some sorts.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4643 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 13:59:16 »

I’m sure at some point it could well do and you’d get your wish but would kind of clash with the World Cup maybe? Or down grade the World Cup in a way that the FA Cup has been. In a similar vein someone posted about the huge amounts of money that Man City probably spent on lawyers as akin to our whole seasons gate receipts. When you consider how much the CL is worth it’s not surprising they probably did. That reinforces how big that competition is in financial terms and only a short step away from being a global league of some sorts.
According to Kieran Macguire on Price of Football this morning (so take with some degree of pinches of salt), a two season ban would have cost City in the order of £200m-250m and they employed 4 legal firms to work on the case. So you could well see them spending several million on lawyers and that they'd consider that good value in the circumstances.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4644 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 14:18:50 »

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #4645 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10:41:59 »

ITV binning Clive tyldsley for Sam matterface

Things get better but they never get good
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4646 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 17:18:52 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53405293
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4647 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 20:34:46 »

Not sure if this belongs in here but it'll do. BEIN TV own the rights to the PL in the Middle East, but are Qatari owned and as the Saudis are engaged in a long-running hot/cold war with Qatar, the Saudis have long sought to undermine BEIN by pirating PL games on BEOUT (see what they did there?). This has been an issue blocking the Saudi takeover of Newcastle Utd as it was potentially embarrassing for the PL that their official rightsholder in the region could be being actively pirated by one of their club owners. So the PL have been humming and hahing about approving the takeover. Now BEIN have been banned from broadcasting in Saudi Arabia. Does this mean the PL have decided not to sanction the takeover and this is the Saudis retaliating?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4648 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 12:02:35 »

Not sure if this belongs in here but it'll do. BEIN TV own the rights to the PL in the Middle East, but are Qatari owned and as the Saudis are engaged in a long-running hot/cold war with Qatar, the Saudis have long sought to undermine BEIN by pirating PL games on BEOUT (see what they did there?). This has been an issue blocking the Saudi takeover of Newcastle Utd as it was potentially embarrassing for the PL that their official rightsholder in the region could be being actively pirated by one of their club owners. So the PL have been humming and hahing about approving the takeover. Now BEIN have been banned from broadcasting in Saudi Arabia. Does this mean the PL have decided not to sanction the takeover and this is the Saudis retaliating?

It does seem rather peculiar that as it stands the Saudi's are seeking to take over a club in a league that cannot actually be watched legally in their territory.

I suspect its just a further bargaining move, whatever BeIn are paying will as its stands potentially  reduce substantially at renegotiation if their service is blocked in a big area of their target audience, thus I suspect its just the Saudi's metaphorically flexing their muscles back at the PL, considering the whole PL business model is founded on TV deals. 

TBH the decision for the PL is no different to what it was 100+ days ago, do they allow Saudi ownership or not.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #4649 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 12:46:39 »

Dont understand why it has taken so long to be honest
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 309 [310] 311 312 313 ... 469   Go Up
Print
Jump to: