Pages: 1 ... 284 285 286 [287] 288 289 290 ... 469   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1629088 times)
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #4290 on: Monday, September 16, 2019, 06:20:30 »

Haha. Like most people I’ve always had respect for Keith Hill, but I had to chuckle on the highlights show yesterday when he was turning out all the Flitcroft-esque bullshit about how everyone had given ‘one million percent’, etc etc.

I’ve heard that Chris Robertson is looking for a club, and he can kick a ball quite a long way.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4291 on: Monday, September 16, 2019, 06:25:19 »

Robertson signed for Ilkeston Town in the Northern Premier League.

Lancashire is getting absolute pelters from Crewe fans.

Thanks for those 2 Flitcroft!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4292 on: Monday, September 16, 2019, 09:20:16 »

Robertson signed for Ilkeston Town in the Northern Premier League.

Lancashire is getting absolute pelters from Crewe fans.

Thanks for those 2 Flitcroft!

Indeed, the Crewe fans have not been enamored by him so far, slow, can't read games well and poor in the tackle, although they say his heading is improving.

Will go down as one of the great forgetable players in Swindons long history, along with many many others in that squad such as Robertson.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4293 on: Monday, September 16, 2019, 10:46:43 »

Robertson was an utterly terrible signing...clearly not even Conference standard. Him and Lancs would probably have to be the CB pairing in my worse ever Town XI...that's some achievement  Huh?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4294 on: Monday, September 16, 2019, 10:49:05 »

No redeeming features for either of them. Even good old Russell Lewis could do the basics.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4295 on: Monday, September 16, 2019, 11:05:12 »

No redeeming features for either of them. Even good old Russell Lewis could do the basics.

It's interesting that CR win rate is 61% and Lancashire's is 54.6%, which compare favourably with Dion Conroy's 49.1%
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4296 on: Monday, September 16, 2019, 11:07:02 »

It's interesting that CR win rate is 61% and Lancashire's is 54.6%, which compare favourably with Dion Conroy's 49.1%
And demonstrates that such stats are utterly meaningless in assessing a player's contribution or ability

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4297 on: Monday, September 16, 2019, 11:11:39 »

Fortunately, Robertson only sullied the first XI 18 times. Somehow, Lancashire managed 55 appearances in 2 of the most depressing seasons in our history.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #4298 on: Monday, September 16, 2019, 11:14:18 »

Fortunately, Robertson only sullied the first XI 18 times. Somehow, Lancashire managed 55 appearances in 2 of the most depressing seasons in our history.
It is amazing how many league games Robertson has actually amassed during a long career, well over 300. Certainly up there with the worst defenders ever to grace the Swindon team.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4299 on: Monday, September 16, 2019, 11:17:09 »

Neither were great... but OL is up to 250 FL appearances and CR did 330. Journeymen Div 4 poss Div 3 in their better days old skool stoppers, an honourable trade. Good luck to them both.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #4300 on: Monday, September 16, 2019, 11:25:30 »

It is amazing how many league games Robertson has actually amassed during a long career, well over 300. Certainly up there with the worst defenders ever to grace the Swindon team.

Yep. And to say that neither of them should have been allowed anywhere near a 2-year deal isn't just being wise after the event.

If you want a grizzled old centre back with a lower league history, offer him a year and tell him to take it or leave it.

If someone else is ultimately daft enough to offer him 2, just go and find an alternative.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #4301 on: Monday, September 16, 2019, 11:34:02 »

And demonstrates that such stats are utterly meaningless in assessing a player's contribution or ability

The other stupid thing about win ratio stats, which I never understand, is why they don't take draws into account. They should be titled points ratios.

As it stands, getting stuffed at home by shit like Crawley and Barnet invariably gets the same credit as earning a very credible point somewhere like Exeter or Cheltenham.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #4302 on: Monday, September 16, 2019, 11:52:10 »

If you want a grizzled old centre back with a lower league history, offer him a year and tell him to take it or leave it.
Exactly, can you imagine if we got promoted under Flipflop then we would have had Robertson and Lancashire as L1 centre backs for another season...and stuck with Mr Moany as manager still.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4303 on: Monday, September 16, 2019, 11:53:42 »

Yep. And to say that neither of them should have been allowed anywhere near a 2-year deal isn't just being wise after the event.

If someone else is ultimately daft enough to offer him 2, just go and find an alternative.

These are the sort of problems you get a result of getting relegated, and having to throw together a new squad in a short period of time. If you think back to that time, the one consistent mantra of Town fans was we needed some experience, a bit of graft.  TT agreed and then just signed kids. Flitcroft got us some Div 4 experience for a Div 4 campaign.

The argument about what sort of defenders you need in the modern game is interesting... at the highest level, you see plenty of examples of Div 4 defending from fellas who cost millions, so you end up with John Stones. Yet Leicester won the league with Morgan and Huth.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #4304 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 14:54:27 »

Whats wrong with football?

Bournemouth about to pay one of their players Ryan Fraser £100k per week, thats whats wrong with it.

How quickly fortunes can change in a few years.

Bucket rattling Matt Ritchie stealing wankers.

Not that I am holding a grudge!

Pages: 1 ... 284 285 286 [287] 288 289 290 ... 469   Go Up
Print
Jump to: