Pages: 1 ... 274 275 276 [277] 278 279 280 ... 472   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1641647 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4140 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 09:00:01 »

I suspect I am in the minority here, but I actually quite like it.

However with PP's history of piss take adverts I imagine this is following the same theme.
Panda Paws

« Reply #4141 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 09:07:39 »

If it does turn out to be a joke, I can't imagine much worse than my club being a banter vehicle for the ultimate banter lads of Paddy Power. Pretty grim all round.

Huddersfield would have made £250m+ in revenue the last two years - is a partnership like this really worth another 2%, and at what cost.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4142 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 10:50:43 »

Joey Barton charged with ABH for (allegedly) nutting the Barnsley manager last season
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4143 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 10:56:13 »

Joey Barton charged with ABH for (allegedly) nutting the Barnsley manager last season
I think its a little more than allegedly as Daniel Stendel lost 2 teeth in the incident!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4144 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 10:58:08 »

I think its a little more than allegedly as Daniel Stendel lost 2 teeth in the incident!
That's for a court to decide Wink tbf, there may have been an incident in which Stendel lost 2 teeth, but it doesn't mean it was ABH. Could have been an accident, could have been self-defence, Stendel may have deliberately knocked his own teeth out to discredit the blameless soul that is Joey "Butter wouldn't melt" Barton
Peter Venkman

« Reply #4145 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:07:44 »

That's for a court to decide Wink tbf, there may have been an incident in which Stendel lost 2 teeth, but it doesn't mean it was ABH. Could have been an accident, could have been self-defence, Stendel may have deliberately knocked his own teeth out to discredit the blameless soul that is Joey "Butter wouldn't melt" Barton
The man was and still is a thug. Yes I know it has to be proven but the sooner he is away from football the better, if found guilty he has to lose his job, surely?

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4146 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:34:27 »

The man was and still is a thug. Yes I know it has to be proven but the sooner he is away from football the better, if found guilty he has to lose his job, surely?
Leaving the devil's advocate shit aside for a moment, you'd have thought there was enough circumstantial evidence that whatever the legals he's clearly done enough to merit that in any case, so presumably the Fleetwood owner has decided to stand by him. Put it this way, if I was involved in an incident at work in which a colleague lost two teeth, I don't think they'd wait for a police investigation to conclude to show me the door!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #4147 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:36:53 »

Leaving the devil's advocate shit aside for a moment, you'd have thought there was enough circumstantial evidence that whatever the legals he's clearly done enough to merit that in any case, so presumably the Fleetwood owner has decided to stand by him. Put it this way, if I was involved in an incident at work in which a colleague lost two teeth, I don't think they'd wait for a police investigation to conclude to show me the door!
True.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4148 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 12:20:09 »

Stevenage have been fined £5000 for an incident in which a group of around 100 fans directed sexist chants at a female official last season. Suspect some will have differing views on whether the sexist chanting that gave rise to the fine or the fine itself is what's wrong, but it's interesting in that this is the first time I've seen a punishment being imposed for this type of offence

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49015634
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4149 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 12:26:03 »

its an interesting one. Because it's not a massive leap to fines for 'whose the bastard in the black'.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4150 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 12:33:02 »

its an interesting one. Because it's not a massive leap to fines for 'whose the bastard in the black'.
Perhaps not. Conversely, if you allow it as "just banter" etc, it's not a massive leap back to the commonplace racist chants of the 70s and 80s that are creeping back in now as well
Peter Venkman

« Reply #4151 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 12:37:13 »

I think it won't be long until all grounds have a no singing policy except for slight ripple of applause when a goal is scored.

Not suggesting the chanting was anything but unnaceptible but the FL/FA seem to have picked on a Stevenage IMO. Much much worse is sung at games higher up the leagues but they won't be dealt with similarly.

£5k to Stevenage is large amount for a team who barely scrape 2,500 home fans at games.

Man Utd were fined £13k for hundreds of their fans throwing things at PSG players.

Chelsea were let off when several thousand of their fans sang anti semetic songs to Spurs.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4152 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 12:37:59 »

yeah, I don't think it's wrong. just not sure where the line is.

and though it's probably the right thing to do, I'd hate to see zero tolerance
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4153 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 12:41:53 »

I think it won't be long until all grounds have a no singing policy except for slight ripple of applause when a goal is scored.

From reading what many say on here, hasn't the County Ground been like that for a few years now?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4154 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 12:43:03 »

yeah, I don't think it's wrong. just not sure where the line is.
Me too, hence why I thought it was an interesting discussion. None of us want to see football "sanitised", but no-one wants to go back to the bad old days. (Well, not many anyway)
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 276 [277] 278 279 280 ... 472   Go Up
Print
Jump to: