Pages: 1 ... 245 246 247 [248] 249 250 251 ... 469   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1629051 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #3705 on: Monday, December 10, 2018, 11:44:54 »

The atmosphere at Boca v River in the Bernabeu last night was amazing....

Even given the nature of the rivalry between the two clubs, it doesn't seem right that the second leg of a major cup final should have to be played on a different continent.

Have to admire the fans, some of whom ended up bankrupt and / or divorced, for making the effort.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Panda Paws

« Reply #3706 on: Monday, December 10, 2018, 12:14:41 »

Ignoring the hypocrisy of the Mail publishing an anti hate and anti racism article, I guess I'm going to be in a minority here.

You take away the 'edge' side of atmosphere at football, you make it a sterile sport that I'd find pointless to watch.

the is a line, granted it's hard to define where that line is, but it's hopefully a long way away from polite clapping and songs of kum-ba-yah.

(I'm ignoring the racism part of the story, colour of skin should be irrelevant)

You can have a great, partisan atmosphere without hurling abuse at someone stood 2 meters from you.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3707 on: Monday, December 10, 2018, 12:20:02 »

You can have a great, partisan atmosphere without hurling abuse at someone stood 2 meters from you.

Yes, and that's fine.
===
To nobody in particular:

If power is given to stewards to enforce a policy where will the line be drawn? 

In the past I've sang abusive songs about Scott Murray's inter-related family, and Joey Beauchamp's STD status. Is that still OK?

I've sang songs about hating Oxford, is that still OK?

Or will there be zero tolerance?
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #3708 on: Monday, December 10, 2018, 12:46:11 »

I'd say that 'the line' should reflect whatever is deemed acceptable / unacceptable according to current law.
(Which itself seems to be a bit muddled).

There used to be a message over the tannoy before games at the CG about minding the language or some such.
Haven't heard it for a while, but there's not much else clubs can do about general swearing for example.
Depends on volume of complaint, if any, I guess.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Panda Paws

« Reply #3709 on: Monday, December 10, 2018, 13:16:02 »

Yes, and that's fine.
===
To nobody in particular:

If power is given to stewards to enforce a policy where will the line be drawn? 

In the past I've sang abusive songs about Scott Murray's inter-related family, and Joey Beauchamp's STD status. Is that still OK?

I've sang songs about hating Oxford, is that still OK?

Or will there be zero tolerance?

It's tough because each person will have their own line. Personally don't have an issue with any chant so long as it's not racist or homophobic, but straight out screaming abuse is too far.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3710 on: Monday, December 10, 2018, 13:23:03 »

Yeah that seems sensible to me.

Hopefully common sense will prevail if it comes to it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3711 on: Monday, December 10, 2018, 14:10:14 »

I think you'e right to point it out.  Of course it probably has nothing to do with Sterling calling out newspapers (mentioning no names) for fostering racism. 
Sterling's instagram post does name names (well screenshot them). Take a bow of shame Anthony Joseph of the Daily Mail. Ex-Sun Editor David Yelland was on the radio this morning calling out his own former employer for their "appalling treatment" of Sterling and other black players as well.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3712 on: Monday, December 10, 2018, 14:15:40 »

Sterling's instagram post does name names (well screenshot them). Take a bow of shame Anthony Joseph of the Daily Mail. Ex-Sun Editor David Yelland was on the radio this morning calling out his own former employer for their "appalling treatment" of Sterling and other black players as well.

To be fair Anthony Joseph's defence does at least stop just short of suggesting that he is not racist as a 'he has a black friend'!

I also noticed that all the media is noting today that against the back drop of the latest Theresa May shit show Sterling has dropped, although the Daily Mail is reporting it as having dived?
« Last Edit: Monday, December 10, 2018, 15:13:31 by horlock07 » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3713 on: Monday, December 10, 2018, 18:02:28 »

So is Morshead an underling of the aforementioned Joseph?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3714 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 09:12:05 »

So is Morshead an underling of the aforementioned Joseph?
No idea, I'm not familiar with the Mail's org chart
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #3715 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 10:10:17 »

Hearing rumours of Oxford moving to Bicester... and oddly some of their fans seem to support it. I mean, it's hardly the same as the MK franchise debacle but still it's gotta be about 20-30 mins from Oxford?!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3716 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 11:05:45 »

Hearing rumours of Oxford moving to Bicester... and oddly some of their fans seem to support it. I mean, it's hardly the same as the MK franchise debacle but still it's gotta be about 20-30 mins from Oxford?!

Surely not. Its like us moving to Chippenham.

They have expanded their 'regional training center' (youth football) there though.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #3717 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 13:55:04 »

Also finished their training ground too, only took a year
Flashheart

« Reply #3718 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 13:59:37 »

Also finished their training ground too, only took a year

But does it compare on scale with what Power is 'allegedly' building?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3719 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 14:14:35 »

But does it compare on scale with what Power is 'allegedly' building?

Looks quite impressive, it's basically what we are building without the other bits for Power.

Took them a couple of years of negotiating to get the first spade in the ground, disputes over ownership with the Council, seems to be a joint venture so they share it.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 247 [248] 249 250 251 ... 469   Go Up
Print
Jump to: