Pages: 1 ... 231 232 233 [234] 235 236 237 ... 469   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1630262 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #3495 on: Monday, June 4, 2018, 22:07:23 »

Loris Karius diagnosed as having been concussed early on in the CL final. Poor git will never live down that performance and he shouldn't have been on the pitch full stop. When you look at the difference between how other sports handle concussions and how football barely even acknowledges that they happen, it's remarkable.

No prizes for guessing who was involved in him picking it up...

SR

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3496 on: Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 12:07:02 »

Loris Karius diagnosed as having been concussed early on in the CL final. Poor git will never live down that performance and he shouldn't have been on the pitch full stop. When you look at the difference between how other sports handle concussions and how football barely even acknowledges that they happen, it's remarkable.

No prizes for guessing who was involved in him picking it up...
Hmm, big part of me is thinking "Yeah, right, concussion, sure" but it would explain the otherwise seemingly inexplicable way he messed up on both goals ("What Benzema?" "Which of the 3 balls should I try to flap at then?"). But if it is true and not just a BS excuse, it's a shocking indictment on both Liverpool and UEFA's medical staff.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3497 on: Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 12:38:31 »

Hmm, big part of me is thinking "Yeah, right, concussion, sure" but it would explain the otherwise seemingly inexplicable way he messed up on both goals ("What Benzema?" "Which of the 3 balls should I try to flap at then?"). But if it is true and not just a BS excuse, it's a shocking indictment on both Liverpool and UEFA's medical staff.

Having been concussed a couple of time playing football I can sort of believe it as in both cases it only really became apparent to me a couple of days after the event and only really with hindsight was I aware of the immediate effects.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3498 on: Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 12:51:58 »

It baffles me why football is fo far behind other sports on this.  Rugby, seen as a bit ore physical and therefore the players are expected to be a bit harder, has taken the entire process out of the hands of players and physio's, and even Dr's if they lose consciousness.

It's amazing the amount of times you watch games where a player is out cold and then 10 minutes later allowed to carry on.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3499 on: Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 12:56:18 »

Having been concussed a couple of time playing football I can sort of believe it as in both cases it only really became apparent to me a couple of days after the event and only really with hindsight was I aware of the immediate effects.
Yes, but then you're not a qualified medical professional. As Rob says, football is, as usual, miles behind on this. The FA's guidelines on handling concussion are a fig-leaf and little more
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3500 on: Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 13:37:10 »

Yes, but then you're not a qualified medical professional

How do you know that?  Hmmm  Wink

I suppose the point I was making is that people arguing that its bollocks as it didn't come out on the night are rather missing the point, notice that news today suggests that he felt a bit shit on holiday and was referred to the hospital by the club.

I know that Rugby physio's are trained to look for it etc, are football ones, I don't think he even had treatment for injury on the night so perhaps unfair to lay it at the door of the physio or club?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 13:38:56 by horlock07 » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3501 on: Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 13:51:56 »

How do you know that?  Hmmm  Wink
Because you keep telling everyone you're a planner. Yes, I know you might have had a career change but I've gone out on a limb here Smiley

I don't think he even had treatment for injury on the night so perhaps unfair to lay it at the door of the physio or club?
Actually, that's why I said it was a shocking indictment of Liverpool and UEFA's medical staff. Either he was treated on the night and they didn't spot it, or he wasn't and should have been. Or the whole thing is a bullshit excuse and they're doing a Jose (hanging the medical staff out to dry to make up for fuck up by playing staff)
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3502 on: Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 15:10:42 »

Actually, that's why I said it was a shocking indictment of Liverpool and UEFA's medical staff. Either he was treated on the night and they didn't spot it, or he wasn't and should have been. Or the whole thing is a bullshit excuse and they're doing a Jose (hanging the medical staff out to dry to make up for fuck up by playing staff)

I didn't actually see the incident as I had lost interest in the game by then, however from the replays I saw I don't thing the commentators or anyone really made a big deal about it?

I know one of the times it happened to me it barely registered at the time that it had happened (just felt like a minor bang on the top of my head which have happened hundreds of times before and after) but a couple of days afterwards I was rough as fuck and at the doctors.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3503 on: Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 15:59:46 »

I didn't actually see the incident as I had lost interest in the game by then, however from the replays I saw I don't thing the commentators or anyone really made a big deal about it?
Again though, just because commentators aren't making a big deal out of it, doesn't mean that medical staff shouldn't be thinking "Uh, oh, probably at least need to have a quick look at him". Likewise, not trying to gainsay your own experience, but saying you didn't notice your own symptoms is a bit like me saying when I had glandular fever I thought it was a cold at first- it doesn't mean you wouldn't expect a doctor to notice. I dunno, maybe they wouldn't have been able to tell, maybe it is just Liverpool trying to rehabilitate his reputation but generally concussion does not seem to be an area football has really got to grips with.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #3504 on: Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 16:07:11 »

Again though, just because commentators aren't making a big deal out of it, doesn't mean that medical staff shouldn't be thinking "Uh, oh, probably at least need to have a quick look at him". Likewise, not trying to gainsay your own experience, but saying you didn't notice your own symptoms is a bit like me saying when I had glandular fever I thought it was a cold at first- it doesn't mean you wouldn't expect a doctor to notice. I dunno, maybe they wouldn't have been able to tell, maybe it is just Liverpool trying to rehabilitate his reputation but generally concussion does not seem to be an area football has really got to grips with.
Goes the opposite way with me. I've got fever and every other fucker says it's a cold. Unsympathetic uneducated bastards.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3505 on: Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 16:08:54 »

Goes the opposite way with me. I've got fever and every other fucker says it's a cold. Unsympathetic uneducated bastards.
Well, that's man flu, the one disease any adult male is infinitely more qualified to diagnose than any so-called medical professional Smiley Karius should consider himself lucky if he only had concussion, man flu could have ended his career right there and then .... oh ....
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #3506 on: Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 16:20:11 »

Out of interest how does someone diagnose concussion? As aren't all the signs (Except for being KO'd) dependant on the victim saying he has headaches/feels dizzy/ confusion etc. If for example Karius says he feels fine and there was no obvious heavy collision or reason to question his responses how is it anyones fault.

I also dont think concussion is a reason for throwing a ball straight at Benzema, he managed to make other saves during the match. He failed to punch Bales shot clear when he did the same in the Roma game and multiple examples in other premier league games. He has poor technique in dealing with distance shots, he got caught out and has been caught out before.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 16:25:10 by singingiiiffy » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3507 on: Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 16:30:04 »

By getting them off the pitch and testing a series of mental and motor functions, balance etc.  This is the issue with football, where rules do not exist to allow for the assessment.  Being out cold is a dead cert though.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #3508 on: Wednesday, June 6, 2018, 16:27:01 »

Remember this? Well...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44380883

Huh?

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #3509 on: Wednesday, June 6, 2018, 16:47:43 »

Didn't it come out that he was actually 4 or 5 years older than he told the officials when he signed his first career?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 233 [234] 235 236 237 ... 469   Go Up
Print
Jump to: