Pages: 1 ... 228 229 230 [231] 232 233 234 ... 469   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1629726 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3450 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 13:01:14 »

I had a quiz question recently. Which Paris based side won Ligue Un, in 35/36.  I went Red Star on the basis of not knowing any others, but the answer was Racing Club. Apparently still going.

Didn't know they were, but you're right, though only amateur at the fifth level now. I watched them in Ligue 1 when they shared the Parc des Princes with PSG in the late 80s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_Club_de_France_football_Colombes_92

Red Star have won the National this year, which means they'll go up to L2 next season, though regrettably probably at the cost of having to play away from St Ouen again, which will drive down crowds. The atmosphere in the shed at Stade Bauer is proper old skool.

The one that no-one notices is Paris FC, formed in 1969, who originally had more fans than PSG, and who are on their way back with a likely top-ten finish in L2 this year.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3451 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 13:10:00 »

You have got to wonder how London can sustain 12 professional league clubs and Paris 1 or 2?

Just isn't in the culture here. PSG generally get 45k, Paris FC in L2 and Red Star in the National (level 3) each get 2-3k, and Créteil about 1000 in the National. And that's it.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3452 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 14:09:59 »

The one that no-one notices is Paris FC, formed in 1969, who originally had more fans than PSG, and who are on their way back with a likely top-ten finish in L2 this year.
I thought Paris were one of the clubs that merged with St Germain to form PSG? Is this a breakaway "Continuity Paris FC" or a completely different outfit?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3453 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 14:30:15 »

I thought Paris were one of the clubs that merged with St Germain to form PSG? Is this a breakaway "Continuity Paris FC" or a completely different outfit?

Good spot PD. Yes, Paris FC merged with Stade St Germain in 1970, but a continuity faction split off and has had a mostly amateur existence until it got some investment about five years back. It was promoted to L2 last year and plays in the smart but soulless Charléty stadium in the south-east of the city.

We favour Red Star because of its long history, wonderfully crappy stadium and left-leaning support, whereas part of PFC's base are right-wing ultras.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #3454 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 14:37:20 »

Good spot PD. Yes, Paris FC merged with Stade St Germain in 1970, but a continuity faction split off and has had a mostly amateur existence until it got some investment about five years back. It was promoted to L2 last year and plays in the smart but soulless Charléty stadium in the south-east of the city.

We favour Red Star because of its long history, wonderfully crappy stadium and left-leaning support, whereas part of PFC's base are right-wing ultras.

So really in some sense of it all, PSG are no better than the likes of Franchise. Paris FC are the French version of AFC Wimbledon (or vice versa).

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3455 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 14:45:09 »

So really in some sense of it all, PSG are no better than the likes of Franchise. Paris FC are the French version of AFC Wimbledon (or vice versa).

When Canal + wanted to show football on French TV, they figured a Paris team was needed, so bought and promoted PSG.

This was much the same way that Murdoch tried to buy ManUre for Sky, but was blocked here by the then Labour government.

PSG didn't pull up Euro trees for Canal +, so were flogged off just before the banker's 08 crash.  Eventually being bought up by the Qataris.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #3456 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 14:53:48 »

I'll weep a tear when they go. Even if I never look at them, they are a living record on my shelf of every English game I've ever been to. I've started going to Red Star these days, and am distressed they don't do programmes.
Red Star - been my favourite French team since they signed Frédéric Darras. I used to go to watch them regularly when I lived in Paris (late 90s to 2008). Yep, just promoted back to Ligue 2.....and strolling away with the league title now.

I'm always disappointed by the lack of programme at French games, but then again, apart from a few teams in the top league the French have never been that hot at exploiting the fans financially. Don't know how much it costs nowadays to get into Red Star but the last game I went to (away at Luçon a couple of years ago) it was peanuts - it cost less for 5 of us than 1 ticket at Swindon for example (and, incidentally, we swelled the Red Star support that night from 13 to 18. Hameur Bouazza played for Red Star at the time). I think the most I've ever got that could be called a programme at a French game is a tatty old piece of paper with a few adverts and the team line-ups.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3457 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 16:07:30 »

Red Star - been my favourite French team since they signed Frédéric Darras. I used to go to watch them regularly when I lived in Paris (late 90s to 2008). Yep, just promoted back to Ligue 2.....and strolling away with the league title now.

I'm always disappointed by the lack of programme at French games, but then again, apart from a few teams in the top league the French have never been that hot at exploiting the fans financially. Don't know how much it costs nowadays to get into Red Star but the last game I went to (away at Luçon a couple of years ago) it was peanuts - it cost less for 5 of us than 1 ticket at Swindon for example (and, incidentally, we swelled the Red Star support that night from 13 to 18. Hameur Bouazza played for Red Star at the time). I think the most I've ever got that could be called a programme at a French game is a tatty old piece of paper with a few adverts and the team line-ups.

It costs 7 euros this year to stand in the shed. Feels very like being back in the Shrivvy. Will be among the 3000 there for the end of season celebration against Lyon Duchère on Friday night.

Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #3458 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 18:40:41 »

The fact that some dickhead on TV said last night that after reaching the CL final, Real are going for an unprecedented third consecutive win.

Completely ignoring the fact that they, Bayern & Ajax have all done it in the past
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #3459 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 19:38:00 »

The fact that some dickhead on TV said last night that after reaching the CL final, Real are going for an unprecedented third consecutive win.

Completely ignoring the fact that they, Bayern & Ajax have all done it in the past
Probably means since it reverted to the Champions League which is possibly the most farcical name of a competition ever.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #3460 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 20:20:47 »

BT making out Roma still have a chance in this game.

Need 4 goals in 13 minutes ffs
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3461 on: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 20:39:20 »

7-6 on aggregate in the end, same as our game v Sheff U.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3462 on: Thursday, May 3, 2018, 08:45:54 »

Yet they ended up 1 goal off taking it to extra time. Always got a chance against a defence like that
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #3463 on: Thursday, May 3, 2018, 08:50:33 »

Yet they ended up 1 goal off taking it to extra time. Always got a chance against a defence like that

It could have been argued that Roma should have had a penalty and Alexander-Arnold sent off on 65 minutes (granted that it would have been harsh) which really would have set the cat amongst the pigeons.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3464 on: Thursday, May 3, 2018, 09:00:45 »

You have to remember the rules, domestic football didn't exist until the Premier League was launched, and likewise European football and the Champions League.....
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 230 [231] 232 233 234 ... 469   Go Up
Print
Jump to: