Pages: 1 ... 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 ... 469   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1629429 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3210 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 10:21:20 »

Just goes to show the difference in having an ambitious chairman with serious investment has.

Lansdown came onto their Board in 96 and has been Chairman since 2002. You could argue that he hasn't achieved much in that time despite the vast sums spent.  I guess it's to his credit that he's hung on in there, and now maybe he'll get some reward.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3211 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 10:42:07 »

Lansdown came onto their Board in 96 and has been Chairman since 2002. You could argue that he hasn't achieved much in that time despite the vast sums spent.  I guess it's to his credit that he's hung on in there, and now maybe he'll get some reward.

OK its taken a while, but they have improved the infrastructure. Its quite a big thing even if the team hasn't done a lot.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3212 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 11:23:43 »

Lansdown came onto their Board in 96 and has been Chairman since 2002. You could argue that he hasn't achieved much in that time despite the vast sums spent. 
Maybe not in the first years, but in the past couple of years they've redeveloped their stadium and established themselves in Div 2. Plenty of teams would be happy to have achieved that much.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #3213 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 11:31:14 »

Bristol Sport are one of my works 'customer success' stories and feature on most marketing videos now. They've got a smart setup there to be fair to them. Also Lansdown stayed loyal to Johnson when most City fans were screaming for his head last season.

I'd love someone like him here.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #3214 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 11:39:34 »

I'd love someone like him here.

I’m sure we would all like to have a Swindon fan who is prepared to spunk away £10m a season on STFC with no likelihood of getting any of it back.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3215 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 11:42:05 »

Maybe not in the first years, but in the past couple of years they've redeveloped their stadium and established themselves in Div 2. Plenty of teams would be happy to have achieved that much.

Lansdown is a sort of rich man's version of John Madeski. It took Sir John 16 years to get Reading into the Prem, Lansdown has merely got a CBE.

However Madejski was quite parsimonious, partly because his wealth was measured in tens of millions, compared to Lansdown's  billion +

No doubt Lansdown will get a knighthood for getting the Shitheads into the Prem... despite being a tax haven resident.  The only thing he shares with Power.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3216 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 11:46:57 »

Lansdown is a sort of rich man's version of John Madeski. It took Sir John 16 years to get Reading into the Prem, Lansdown has merely got a CBE.

However Madejski was quite parsimonious, partly because his wealth was measured in tens of millions, compared to Lansdown's  billion +
Fair point, if you're talking about "bang for buck" Lansdown's wasted a huge amount. But perhaps unfair to say he's not achieved much, even if he's wasted a lot along the way
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3217 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 11:52:01 »

A year, maybe 2, in the PL and he’ll get his money back plus - if he wants it back.

The difference between clubs we see as historical equals who have ‘made it’ have had owners prepared to reinvest on the back of a successful season. We’ve always sold our playing assets as soon as possible.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #3218 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 11:52:54 »

A year, maybe 2, in the PL and he’ll get his money back plus - if he wants it back.

The difference between clubs we see as historical equals who have ‘made it’ have had owners prepared to reinvest on the back of a successful season. We’ve always sold our playing assets as soon as possible.

Reading and Bristol City have been bankrolled by million and billionaires. THAT's the difference between them and us.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #3219 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 11:53:34 »

I’m sure we would all like to have a Swindon fan who is prepared to spunk away £10m a season on STFC with no likelihood of getting any of it back.
That would indeed be brilliant but the chances of that happening in my lifetime are on the slim side of Olga Sherer.

The best we could hope for would be something similar to Barnsley with Chinese investment but I fear LP would let them invest but still want to control the football/club/gound side of things leaving us essentially exactly where we are now still.

Fans keep saying....Lee why don't you sell.....well its simple, there is no buyer interested in us, let alone anyone who would give a shit about what fans want and desire.

Which is what Lansdowne is, hes a rich man who was/is a fan of sport in Bristol and however bad that is for rivals like us and Rovers he has the desires of fans at heart and a seemingly endless supply of funds to do it with.

I send no "well done" to shitty but I did send a congrats txt to 3 of my mates who went yesterday as I know how great it feels to be in the LC semi's against the odds.

One of their main gripes was that season ticket holders of Bristol rugby were able to buy a ticket for yesterday as a priority over football fans that didn't have season tickets.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3220 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 12:05:55 »

Reading and Bristol City have been bankrolled by million and billionaires. THAT's the difference between them and us.
We were bankrolled by a multi-millionaire for a while and we could have been set on that path instead of being flogged off to fraudsters and barrow boys but Di Canio's rampant ego and profligate spending (and Wray's inability to handle either) fucked it up.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3221 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 12:08:01 »

There have been periods in our history, when we could have taken a step forward, but haven't. The last when PdC had us near top of Div 3, and Piccareta took us there. However time and tide waits for no man, as Bristol City found out in 82, when the old club died.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3222 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 12:22:40 »

.Which is what Lansdowne is, hes a rich man who was/is a fan of sport in Bristol and however bad that is for rivals like us and Rovers he has the desires of fans at heart and a seemingly endless supply of funds to do it with.

Lansdown finances the egg chasers, but here they don't really do very well, when compared to say Exeter. Their owner Tony Rowe is a bit of a character, obviously got a few self made bob but not in Lansdown's league, however has built them a new ground and won the Premiership, with side that was Div 3 a few years back, a very difficult transition to make.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3223 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 12:52:43 »

We were bankrolled by a multi-millionaire for a while and we could have been set on that path instead of being flogged off to fraudsters and barrow boys but Di Canio's rampant ego and profligate spending (and Wray's inability to handle either) fucked it up.

Sir Martyn had already bailed before then though, so we were left with just Black (financially).  Oh what could have been.  Was he in the same league? Financially maybe but commitment wise ...I think he'd have bailed anyway myself.

And now we are back to square one. Albeit without any known debenture being called - though with Power I half expect Fat Tony to be at the turnstiles shaking down fans at any minute.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3224 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 14:22:02 »

Sir Martyn had already bailed before then though, so we were left with just Black (financially).  Oh what could have been.  Was he in the same league? Financially maybe but commitment wise ...I think he'd have bailed anyway myself.

And now we are back to square one. Albeit without any known debenture being called - though with Power I half expect Fat Tony to be at the turnstiles shaking down fans at any minute.

Black was worth  about 100 mill. Lansdown 1000 mill.  Power maybe 4 or 5.  Quite a difference.

We are where we are, which is why the current sub plot is to sink no further, a very realistic prospect in the medium term.

Pages: 1 ... 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 ... 469   Go Up
Print
Jump to: