Pages: 1 ... 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 ... 469   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1629501 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3075 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2017, 16:31:41 »

Oh, they do, but not on every article.  It usually ends up in an argument about Brexit.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3076 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2017, 16:37:34 »

Oh, they do, but not on every article.  It usually ends up in an argument about Brexit.

Of course, we're going to have to get used to regular examples of the UK having to do unpalatable things post Brexit, as the likes of Fox and Davis, try and keep the economy afloat.

Not just the Tories mind, the Sweatie government has just handed a Trump a sizable tax rebate on one of his hotels at Turnberry.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #3077 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2017, 20:24:50 »

The League Cup Third Round draw is being done in China (4.15am UK Time)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3078 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 19:15:27 »

Just been reading about the new set up at Wolves. Very dodgy. New Chinese owners with one of those super agents employed for recruitment.

Unsurprisingly, the huge fees/salaries paid to the majority of their new players are from the agent's own stable. If they don't get promoted this season they will massively fall foul of FFP.

What I don't understand is why clubs pay agents and not the player. Actors have agents and usually get 10% of their income for generating work for them.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #3079 on: Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 10:01:51 »

Jonny Evans 28 million

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #3080 on: Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 10:37:23 »

Jonny Evans 28 million
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain for £40m too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3081 on: Thursday, August 31, 2017, 09:02:43 »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/31/disneyfication-clubs-manchester-city-red-bull

No not the Disneyfication of football, but Power not getting on the list of multi-club owners. When he gets that Montenegran 4th tier club, then the world will wake up.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3082 on: Monday, September 18, 2017, 17:41:28 »

I see Pochetino has been comparing Spurs to Wigan, attempting to show why it's a priority to focus on the league over the league cup.

It's no surprise I guess, well, other than seeming to thrown his club down the scales to match a relative lightweight, that we should see such comments these days.  But, given my penchant for data analysis, it has made we wonder whether someone could do a study - along the lines of how many top xx finishes in the Premier League equals a FA Cup win?  I think we need to determine the optimum numbers here, to understand what we see as equal over time.  Clearly he is suggesting you'd rather be in the Premier League than have won the Cup (I'd actually say I'd rather we won a Cup than reached the top league in my time - some fans have seen this).

Plenty of variations need to be accounted for - each club will have it's own relative value for each competition, fans of those clubs will have variation in their own expectations. and so on.  There must be an algorithm we can determine as a result?
« Last Edit: Monday, September 18, 2017, 18:11:21 by RobertT » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3083 on: Monday, September 18, 2017, 18:06:59 »

I see Pochetino has been comparing Spurs to Wigan, attempting to show why it's a priority to focus on the league over the league cup.

It's no surprise I guess, well, other than seeming to thrown his club down the scales to match a relative lightweight, that we should see such comments these days.  But, given my penchant for data analysis, it has made we wonder whether someone could do a study - along the lines of how many top xx finishes in the Premier League equals a FA Cup win?  I think we need to determine the optimum numbers here, to understand what we alue as equal over time.  Clearly he is suggesting you'd rather be in the Premier League than have won the Cup (I'd actually say I'd rather we won a Cup than reached the top league in my time - some fans have seen this).

Plenty of variations need to be accounted for - each club will have it's own relative value for each competition, fans of those clubs will have variation in their own expectations. and so on.  There must be an algorithm we can determine as a result?

I think you might be talking to yourself here... meaning if you want an algorithm and data analysis such as this, you're probably going to have to do it yourself.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3084 on: Monday, September 18, 2017, 18:13:39 »

Arsenal are a good example - they got fed-up with not wining anything, but finishing 4th.  Then they won some cups, but would they trade that for finishing 4th, and did they really mean just the League Title?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3085 on: Monday, September 18, 2017, 18:27:49 »

Arsenal are a good example - they got fed-up with not wining anything, but finishing 4th.  Then they won some cups, but would they trade that for finishing 4th, and did they really mean just the League Title?

It was Wenger who started the trend of sticking his reserves into the LC games, but they often proved to be fairly handy players, the likes of Eduardo, Denilson and even Carlos Vela. may have even got to a final one year.

These were mostly young unknown types, whereas now the likes of Man City, reach finals because they've massive squads of experienced players.
Barry Scott

« Reply #3086 on: Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 23:55:21 »

After the death of Ilkay Gundogan by knee injury last year and all the Man City players coming out in t-shirts to pay their respects, we now have Barca doing the same after Dembele suffered death by hamstring this weekend.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/barcelona-players-show-support-injured-11203904
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #3087 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2017, 07:20:06 »

Personally, I would like to see the pre-kick off squad at Forest Green sporting "Courage Dion" T shirts on TV.

Or should it be "Courage Vigs"?
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #3088 on: Thursday, September 21, 2017, 13:07:32 »

The worlds gone PC mad
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-41337127

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3089 on: Thursday, September 21, 2017, 13:13:43 »

Not many teams play in black do they though, maybe something more to this...........

......clearly kidding.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 ... 469   Go Up
Print
Jump to: