Pages: 1 ... 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 ... 471   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1639034 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2805 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2017, 14:53:12 »

Sam Allardyce, long hailed by the media as being on the cutting edge of dragging football into using sports science, apparently wrote this in his programme notes for Palace at the weekend:

"The increase in performance doesn’t have to be that big. If you put two per cent on every player, that’s an overall 22 per cent increase in how you play."

I mean, where do you start?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #2806 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2017, 15:31:28 »

Sam Allardyce, long hailed by the media as being on the cutting edge of dragging football into using sports science, apparently wrote this in his programme notes for Palace at the weekend:

"The increase in performance doesn’t have to be that big. If you put two per cent on every player, that’s an overall 22 per cent increase in how you play."

It would explain how a team can give 110%.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2807 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2017, 15:34:04 »

It would explain how a team can give 110%.
Or even as much as 122%, apparently
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #2808 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2017, 15:52:28 »

Using that math, a team giving only 110% or 122% would be very ineffective.  If they played a team only giving half their ability and energy each, that other team would be giving 550%!!!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2809 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2017, 16:07:29 »

Using that math, a team giving only 110% or 122% would be very ineffective.  If they played a team only giving half their ability and energy each, that other team would be giving 550%!!!
Think we might have stumbled on why Palace are going down ....
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #2810 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2017, 19:44:13 »

Not really whats wrong with football as such but something we know very well, I hear Chesterfield could be in line too if they don't find a buyer soon as they have been up for sale for a month or more with no takers.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/2981496/leyton-orient-winding-up-order-administation/

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Barry Scott

« Reply #2811 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2017, 19:57:50 »

Clubs never get liquidated. I'd actually like to start seeing clubs disappear - and no, I don't care about the fans.

I'm so disillusioned with football as a whole, I'd quite like to see the supposed great pyramid start to fall down around us for once.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #2812 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2017, 20:07:06 »

Im with you.  Im all for a 'big' club disappear.  There has to be a point where its not feasible to live on debt and promise.

Never knowingly overstated.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #2813 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2017, 20:16:13 »

Im with you.  Im all for a 'big' club disappear.  There has to be a point where its not feasible to live on debt and promise.
I would love one of the larger clubs (even down to Championship level) go bust but the structure of ownership with holding companies etc makes clubs actually going to the wall almost impossible these days.

A few of the lower league clubs have gone to the wall in the last 20 years or so but no team that has actually achieved anything in football, probably the biggest were Darlington, Chester or Maidstone I would think as all the others such as Leeds, Coventry etc have just changed name and holding companies to get round actually going bust.

The current spending/wages level of football league clubs cannot be sustained and something big and bad happening needs to shake the roots and scare the big teams.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #2814 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2017, 20:50:23 »

I think I'd only take some satisfaction of a club going bust is if it was related to the greed-abominations of the PL and CL.

If Town ever got there, I'd hope that the riches received would go into rebuilding the CG and not in the forlorn hope of trying to stay there by blowing the cash on players and creating media suites.

It could be interesting to see what might happen to Bournemouth or Leicester if they go down this season. I'd be surprised if the bags of TV cash would disappear pretty quickly, leaving them up the creek, but the level of debt that some former PL clubs still have are hints that regardless the size of the riches, someone can piss it away.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #2815 on: Thursday, March 2, 2017, 04:10:34 »

Bob Holt school of figures.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #2816 on: Thursday, March 2, 2017, 20:38:43 »

Coventry City released their accounts today - dead club walking.  They have been loaded with three loans at 10%, 11% and 19% annual interest and accrued over 4m in interest payments in the past 4 years alone.  They haven't paid their owners yet, so logic suggests the owners have an asset in mind to sell at some point and call it in when cash is available (training ground seems the favourite).
Directors also managed 215k in payments, although that was down on the previous year.

How the FL allows clubs to be run into the ground like this is beyond me.  Unlike other businesses, the owners know they avoid liquidation and that customers will keep stumping cash up for them even without anything worth buying being put on offer.  The FL therefore needs to act as a regulator and clearly has zero interest in doing so.
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #2817 on: Thursday, March 2, 2017, 20:48:50 »

Did they go to wonga for those interest rates?! Decking hell

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #2818 on: Thursday, March 2, 2017, 20:58:50 »

Their owners!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2819 on: Thursday, March 2, 2017, 21:28:24 »

yeah saw that here: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-city-make-600000-profit-12679244.amp

Shame we don't know as much about our own club.. or do we?
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 ... 471   Go Up
Print
Jump to: