Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 ... 469   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1629609 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1125 on: Thursday, November 20, 2014, 11:21:08 »

Well we'll have to agree to differ on this one. Apart from anything, Platini doesn't command anything like the level of complicit patronage from the European FAs that Blatter does around the globe.

I don't think UEFA, or any other sporting governance body today, is in need of root and branch reform as badly as FIFA. It's happened at the IOC, the UCI, the IAAF. FIFA is the last of the dinosaur oligarchies in sport.

Which goes back to my original question....because Platini and UEFA, are swimming in a smaller pool, does that make it OK?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #1126 on: Thursday, November 20, 2014, 14:45:56 »

Which goes back to my original question....because Platini and UEFA, are swimming in a smaller pool, does that make it OK?

I didn't say it was smaller, which wouldn't matter. I say it's less corrupt than FIFA. Much less, with all that we know about European football administrations. I just don't think it helps to tut and say they're all as bad as each other. To fill in the gaps for me, what specifically do you hold against Platini?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1127 on: Thursday, November 20, 2014, 15:18:53 »

I didn't say it was smaller, which wouldn't matter. I say it's less corrupt than FIFA. Much less, with all that we know about European football administrations. I just don't think it helps to tut and say they're all as bad as each other. To fill in the gaps for me, what specifically do you hold against Platini?

I recall a court case regards UEFA  Ukraine/Poland.....over allegations of corruption, not sure I've ever seen the resolution.

Platini has always been a leading advocate of Qatar....he claims the fact he's been open about it, is because he's nothing to hide.  He says he spent so much time with Bin Hamman (sp) the Qatari fixer, because it was work.

Think he also kept his 16K watch a "gift" from the Brazilian FA....whereas Dyke had to give his back, when the story broke.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #1128 on: Thursday, November 20, 2014, 15:28:16 »

I recall a court case regards UEFA  Ukraine/Poland.....over allegations of corruption, not sure I've ever seen the resolution.

Platini has always been a leading advocate of Qatar....he claims the fact he's been open about it, is because he's nothing to hide.  He says he spent so much time with Bin Hamman (sp) the Qatari fixer, because it was work.

Think he also kept his 16K watch a "gift" from the Brazilian FA....whereas Dyke had to give his back, when the story broke.

Don't know about all that, but it really doesn't sound like it's anywhere close to the Blatter league of dedication to self-interest and self-enrichment. That fucker really needs to swing.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1129 on: Thursday, November 20, 2014, 17:39:10 »

what specifically do you hold against Platini?

He's French.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #1130 on: Thursday, November 20, 2014, 18:52:58 »

He also backed the Qatari takeover of PSG...Of course, his son is high up in the organisation had nothing to do with it !!

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1131 on: Monday, December 1, 2014, 12:34:33 »

Cellino disqualified by Football League - suspect this is just the start of a long series of legal actions. But a step in the right direction, nonetheless, if they can make it stick. Although technically being disbarred hasn't made much difference to Agombar at Hereford

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30276764
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1132 on: Monday, December 1, 2014, 17:48:33 »

Cellino disqualified by Football League - suspect this is just the start of a long series of legal actions. But a step in the right direction, nonetheless, if they can make it stick. Although technically being disbarred hasn't made much difference to Agombar at Hereford

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30276764

Didn't the FL, try to stop Cellino at the outset, but were overruled by the courts here? 
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1133 on: Monday, December 1, 2014, 18:58:22 »

Didn't the FL, try to stop Cellino at the outset, but were overruled by the courts here? 
No, they were overruled by their own appeals process. But now they've overruled the overruling and we can see the full force of the power of the FL - a four month ban. Which won't be effective in stopping him running the club even if he does pay lip service to it for the four months anyone is pretending it will be in place. No wonder no-one takes them seriously
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1134 on: Monday, December 1, 2014, 19:05:00 »

No, they were overruled by their own appeals process. But now they've overruled the overruling and we can see the full force of the power of the FL - a four month ban. Which won't be effective in stopping him running the club even if he does pay lip service to it for the four months anyone is pretending it will be in place. No wonder no-one takes them seriously

Clearly only a matter of time before, probably the FA, overrule the overruling and give a job to one of Cellino's relos, and throw  a 35K dinner in his honour.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1135 on: Monday, December 1, 2014, 20:52:30 »

Clearly only a matter of time before, probably the FA, overrule the overruling and give a job to one of Cellino's relos, and throw  a 35K dinner in his honour.
Maybe some nice watches and the odd handbag or two as well?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1136 on: Friday, December 5, 2014, 19:53:51 »

Not really wrong with football generally but there is a hell of a kit clash in this cup game on BBC 2 this evening
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1137 on: Friday, December 5, 2014, 20:12:30 »

Not really wrong with football generally but there is a hell of a kit clash in this cup game on BBC 2 this evening
Agreed - that's a really bad clash (although I always thin that 'clash' is a strange choice of word  - it should be colour 'match' rather than 'clash')

It is bizarre when on the other hand (and this is another 'what's wrong with football' IMO) teams wear their away kit for no reason whatsoever other than to sell more replica kits. Case in point being when Everton played at Spurs the other day and wore all black.  If I'm watching Spurs v Everton, I want to see a team in white/dark blue/white v a team in blue/white/blue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1138 on: Friday, December 5, 2014, 20:34:11 »

Bit sad as well that for what is a sort of derby there are a lot of empty seats.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1139 on: Friday, December 5, 2014, 21:04:44 »

Relevant to the game and this thread: Marlon Harewood is still a personal footballer.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 ... 469   Go Up
Print
Jump to: