Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 469   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1629473 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Thursday, May 23, 2013, 17:44:25 »

Was merely saying the hoohah at Paris,for whom he played a dozen or so games,was merely celebrity related and that is one of the things that is wrong with football today.Plus,saying he is underrated is a joke,surely?Just because that half-wit Waddle made a ridiculous comment is not proof of under appreciation.Dont think anyone has ever doubted his work rate and passion for England but his pedestal has risen far too high in my opinion.However,dont think he would get in a best "Ferguson era" Man Utd X1.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
adje

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Thursday, May 23, 2013, 17:47:10 »

.....besides,Scholes,Giggs,Lampard and Owen were far better players in my opinion.

FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Thursday, May 23, 2013, 20:19:04 »

Who did they support before?
Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa among others!!!!

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Thursday, May 23, 2013, 20:19:42 »

If they came from the valleys they probably didn't care about football, they were too busy shagging their siblings/parents/cousins/family sheep.
Cheesy Grin

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Thursday, May 23, 2013, 20:26:18 »

I'm not quite sure how and when it happened (I guess when he left England) but David Beckham has quietly and bizzarely become one of the most underrated England players of all time. Waddle's tripe the other day about not being in the top 1000 players of the Premiership era was fucking mental, the man finished second in the Balon D'or behind Rivaldo in 1999 and Zinedine Zidane described him as one of the best player he'd ever played with.

More to the point, he busted his gut for England and showed the kind of passion that we always gnash our teeth about players lacking in the three lions and dragged a shit team around for much of the late 90s/early 00s. Sure, he played on way past his prime and yes, he took a lot of easy money in LA. But he is one of the best English players in my lifetime, and no amount of jealousy about his lifestyle, wife or laughing at his lack of intelligence should overshadow that.

A few years ago I did a bit of research and found that from 2000-2006 Beckham was involved in about 85% of England's goals during that period.

Staggering.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 07:43:00 »

A few years ago I did a bit of research and found that from 2000-2006 Beckham was involved in about 85% of England's goals during that period.

Staggering.

The best distributor of the ball I have ever seen 'in the flesh' was Glenn Hoddle. Some of his passes when in a Town shirt were sublime, 50- 60 yard cross field passes landing on a sixpence. Beckham was close to Hoddle in his accuracy and vision. All IMHO of course.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 07:53:48 »

I'm not quite sure how and when it happened (I guess when he left England) but David Beckham has quietly and bizzarely become one of the most underrated England players of all time. Waddle's tripe the other day about not being in the top 1000 players of the Premiership era was fucking mental, the man finished second in the Balon D'or behind Rivaldo in 1999 and Zinedine Zidane described him as one of the best player he'd ever played with.

More to the point, he busted his gut for England and showed the kind of passion that we always gnash our teeth about players lacking in the three lions and dragged a shit team around for much of the late 90s/early 00s. Sure, he played on way past his prime and yes, he took a lot of easy money in LA. But he is one of the best English players in my lifetime, and no amount of jealousy about his lifestyle, wife or laughing at his lack of intelligence should overshadow that.

Agree with all of this, and unlike Chris Waddle he can actually say the word penalty!
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 09:20:08 »

Becks was and still is an era-defining footballer. You only get 'em once a generation.

The best distributor of the ball I have ever seen 'in the flesh' was Glenn Hoddle. Some of his passes when in a Town shirt were sublime, 50- 60 yard cross field passes landing on a sixpence. Beckham was close to Hoddle in his accuracy and vision. All IMHO of course.

I'd agree with you. Hoddle was slightly before my time (I was born in 1990), but the footage I've seen of the games he played and the passes he made just have my eyes boggling. Fashioned my own long-range passing technique after his. It's the grace he does it with more than anything, he doesn't seem to hoof it, he just taps it and it pings 50 yards to someone's feet. Beautiful.
iffy

« Reply #338 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 10:27:10 »

Becks was and still is an era-defining footballer. You only get 'em once a generation.

I'd agree with you. Hoddle was slightly before my time (I was born in 1990), but the footage I've seen of the games he played and the passes he made just have my eyes boggling. Fashioned my own long-range passing technique after his. It's the grace he does it with more than anything, he doesn't seem to hoof it, he just taps it and it pings 50 yards to someone's feet. Beautiful.

Hoddle at sweeper in Div 1 was like a dad playing in an under 11s school match
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #339 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 12:33:03 »

Indeed.

Went to LA for the money and lifestyle too soon. He was only 32 when he signed for them - which in some cases can still be the peak of your career. Lampard, Scholes and Giggs have all played at the top level (at a reduced rate admittedly) well past 32.

if he'd wait till he was 35 before going out there I think more people would have understood...

I may be buying into the PR bullshit that followed Beckham, but I do admire what he tried to do when he went to LA. Admittedly it is a long process, but his arrival in the US will start to make the US league a more viable option for players rather then trotting off to Europe.

I think in years to come, it could have an impact on how competitive the league will be. Only time will tell whether it was all in vain or not.
DMR

« Reply #340 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 13:00:28 »

Ahhh, the Beckham subject.

It is my opinion that he single handedly cost England 2 tournaments, and signle handedly got us in to 1. So he's in debt in my book.

Coupled with the fact he followed the money to play an appalling standard of football then bemoaned the impact it had on his international prospects, makes him a bit of a cunt in my book.

And banging the nanny is not model professionalism either.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 16:31:34 »

....and had a very big hand in costing us a third

REDBUCK

« Reply #342 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 17:08:56 »

....and like many in this era got far to many cheap caps in meaningless games so that he, in my opinion, is far to high up the list of all time capped players for the influence he had .
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 18:43:31 »

Ahhh, the Beckham subject.

It is my opinion that he single handedly cost England 2 tournaments, and signle handedly got us in to 1. So he's in debt in my book.

Coupled with the fact he followed the money to play an appalling standard of football then bemoaned the impact it had on his international prospects, makes him a bit of a cunt in my book.

And banging the nanny is not model professionalism either.

Of course DMR you would never follow the money.....or indeed shag the nanny would you.

Maybe we should get a celibate monk into play for us and a  fella who wouldn't shag a nanny at any cost....as for costing us two tournaments

We wouldn't have won them in a million years with him or without him.

You have this gift DMR.......at finding the faults with everybody......will you ever get round to finding the good.

I hope so Cheesy
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 19:23:44 »

Beckham had been told to fuck off by McLaren and dropped from the England squad when he decided to go to the USA.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 469   Go Up
Print
Jump to: