Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 469   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1629455 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 19:45:14 »

If someone wants to piss away millions on a football club I'm all for it, especially as at least some of the money will filter down the leagues through transfer fees. But only if they are giving the club the money as a gift. Unfortunately pretty much all the money put in to clubs is in the form of loans and that includes Wigan. If they don't want the money back, why give it as loans?

Tax efficiency.
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #271 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 19:48:05 »

Whalen has bank rolled them but they do a lot to be self sufficient, they have a great scouting network in south America which is where they pick a lot of their talent cheap and sell them off for large profits

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 21:16:43 »

Whalen has bank rolled them but they do a lot to be self sufficient, they have a great scouting network in south America which is where they pick a lot of their talent cheap and sell them off for large profits

Having worked in Wigan for fours years (but thankfully no longer) whilst I don't know how much Whelan does bung in each year but it must be a fair amount.  It is deep in rugby league territory and football comes a far second,  no one I worked with went to football, they were all egg chasing fans (although strangely majority were Warrington rather than Wigan fans?) Where they do seem to do well is that unless it's one of the big north west teams visiting you can normally get a ticket,  lost count of number of friends who have taken their kids to first premier game there,  so suggest that they have a large proportion of casual non alliegence fans.

Oh and on the other issue we also had an office in Burnley and it is a very deprived and depressing place,  whilst it may be geographically close to Bradford as the Crow flies its separated by the pennines which make the drive pretty but inconvenient.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Tuesday, May 14, 2013, 20:09:41 »

"Believe"

"Keep the faith"
JanAageisGod

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Wednesday, May 15, 2013, 08:35:12 »

So does that make them good or bad? It does zero for English players and the national team that they have basically acted as some kind of cheap entry point for overseas players from "untapped markets", in South & Central America, with a fair chunk of their money to do it coming from foreign TV rights...

I suddenly feel like I am about to join UKIP after writing that.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 15, 2013, 08:37:14 by JanAageisGod » Logged

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Wednesday, May 15, 2013, 11:50:33 »

Footballers!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22537941

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Wednesday, May 15, 2013, 12:39:11 »

So does that make them good or bad? It does zero for English players and the national team that they have basically acted as some kind of cheap entry point for overseas players from "untapped markets", in South & Central America, with a fair chunk of their money to do it coming from foreign TV rights...

I suddenly feel like I am about to join UKIP after writing that.

But that's what the Premier League is all about. 
It has nothing to do with developing English players, and has set itself up to attract talent from across the world. The more countries having players in the PL, the wider the global spread of its brand. 
I enjoy watching PL games as a neutral but feel no affinity towards EPL clubs even when they're playing in European competitions.
JanAageisGod

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 08:37:09 »

Agree 100%, though I am sure the idea of it helping the national team was one of the fig leaves used for the breakaway. That and our 1990 case totally fucking up relations between the FA and Football League.

Watching the Prem does feel like watching corporate franchises slug it out, despite the pretensions of clubs (yes this means you Liverpool) to uphold some grand set of values.

leftside

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Saturday, May 18, 2013, 21:17:11 »

Play-off final winners awarded cups and medals as if they've won some decade-long inter-galactic cup competition.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Saturday, May 18, 2013, 22:44:07 »

I think Wigan are playing a good game in a bad market. The only way a club with a budget like they have can succeed in the Premier League is to get a load of really talented South Americans (or other continent) who are willing to play for £5-£10k a week, with the promise that if a bigger club comes knocking after a few of seasons they'll be allowed to leave for a reasonable return. English players are notoriously expensive, and they'd have to have developed them themselves, or nabbed them before a proper club did, ala Victor Moses, both of which are very rare nowadays.

I don't think you can criticise their approach. They do everything very well and have survived a number of seasons in the top flight, way above their natural level when considering support, through shrewd managerial appointments and a fruitful scouting network. For clubs working around our level it seems attainable; I'd be happy if we adopted their approach, though maybe with a bit more youth going on. A generous benefactor also helps.
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Sunday, May 19, 2013, 13:14:59 »

Yeovil on the brink of The Championship.

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Sunday, May 19, 2013, 13:31:17 »

Yep, because they have over spent and have the largest budget in the league.

Muppet.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Sunday, May 19, 2013, 13:34:01 »

I'll be pleased if they go up instead of Brentford.  Also puts two fingers up to the clubs (including us) who've had big budgets and overpaid players and got nowhere.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Sunday, May 19, 2013, 13:36:39 »

The commentator said Yeovil have the smallest budget in League 1.

Them getting promoted would be what is right with football.
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Sunday, May 19, 2013, 13:37:50 »

Yep, because they have over spent and have the largest budget in the league.

Muppet.

When the fuck did I ever say that you stupid attention seeking streak of piss?

Girl Giggle

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 469   Go Up
Print
Jump to: