Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 469   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1629393 times)
skay

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Sunday, March 31, 2013, 00:34:26 »

Any song to the tune of 'Sloop John B' is what's wrong with football. Also the away goals rule, music after goals, birthday announcements 5 minutes from the end of an important match, the fact that sky think football started in 1992,  the transfer window, postponed matches, drums at any ground and the england band now i mention drums, Franchise, moving to a shit cliche of a bowl ground nowhere near your city centre or train station, FA cup semi finals at Wembley, the price for a meal deal at Wembley, half and half scarves, any northern ground that doesn't supply a fish and chips quality to that of Crewes, that we don't put all away fans out on the bank especially if it's a rainy cold midweek match,  any reason for supporting your club that isn't the fact that your club is/was your local club. The fact that I have to get up at 6 o'clock to ensure that I get to Doncaster promptly because Sky are fucking tosspots. Rant probably not over.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Sunday, March 31, 2013, 09:35:54 »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/19/premier-league-championship-tv-deal#

The idea that in the future if we went up to the Championship as a newly promoted club, we'd be getting just under a 10th of the money given in parachute payments to a newly relegated club, and still be expected to compete under FFP. Fucking ridiculous.

Clubs like ours will just have no chance of progressing at that level in the future.

The only counter to that argument is that it's been a pretty uneven playing field for ages, and it hasn't stopped Blackpool, Swansea and Burnley getting there, and it isn't helping Blackpool and Blackburn in the league right now.

It didn't stop Norwich, Southampton, Leeds, even Manchester City dropping to the third tier.

..never go back.
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Sunday, March 31, 2013, 09:59:34 »

Any song to the tune of 'Sloop John B' is what's wrong with football. Also the away goals rule, music after goals, birthday announcements 5 minutes from the end of an important match, the fact that sky think football started in 1992,  the transfer window, postponed matches, drums at any ground and the england band now i mention drums, Franchise, moving to a shit cliche of a bowl ground nowhere near your city centre or train station, FA cup semi finals at Wembley, the price for a meal deal at Wembley, half and half scarves, any northern ground that doesn't supply a fish and chips quality to that of Crewes, that we don't put all away fans out on the bank especially if it's a rainy cold midweek match,  any reason for supporting your club that isn't the fact that your club is/was your local club. The fact that I have to get up at 6 o'clock to ensure that I get to Doncaster promptly because Sky are fucking tosspots. Rant probably not over.

This

Pretty much sums up the way I feel about football TM PLC in the year 2013.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Sunday, March 31, 2013, 11:43:12 »

The only counter to that argument is that it's been a pretty uneven playing field for ages, and it hasn't stopped Blackpool, Swansea and Burnley getting there, and it isn't helping Blackpool and Blackburn in the league right now.

It didn't stop Norwich, Southampton, Leeds, even Manchester City dropping to the third tier.

I agree.

http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=51066.msg1177370#msg1177370

If you get lucky with the magic combination of teamwork and players it can work. But you do have to get lucky, and you're working to severely reduced odds made worse when the rise in parachute payments for the bigger teams is exacerbated by the restrictions (which I do support) of FFP on the smaller ones.

It's just establishing the current (rotten) financial cycle: wages keep rising meaning parachute payments have to keep rising to underwrite them meaning teams in the Prem can be more reckless and willing to gamble more money on staying up meaning the players wages keep rising etc. etc. creating a greater and greater divide between the upper and lower divisions.

The problem is tackling the symptom (we need to be able to underwrite our players high wages) but not the cause (the players wages are too high).
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Saturday, April 13, 2013, 21:19:01 »

Millwall fans at it again, though at least they were just fighting amongst themselves this time.

How many times has this happened with their fans?

When are the authorities going to do something about it?
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 13:46:02 »

Sepp Blatter wallowing in his own corpulence at the end of this article makes my skin crawl.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22351630
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 15:38:23 »

Sepp Blatter wallowing in his own corpulence at the end of this article makes my skin crawl.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22351630

The question is why it's taken so long. It must be around 20 years since 'How They Stole The Game' was published which is the story how Havelange used bungs to get into FIFA, and took backhanders, and nearly 40 years after he did it.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
iffy

« Reply #217 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 16:47:26 »

Which is more evil and corrupt? FIFA or the IOC? It'd be a close run thing
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 16:53:30 »

Which is more evil and corrupt? FIFA or the IOC? It'd be a close run thing

Oh god, no it wouldn't, FIFA every time. The IOC's only been corrupt since that filthy Belgian Rogge took power. FIFA's been corrupt for decades.

The question is why it's taken so long. It must be around 20 years since 'How They Stole The Game' was published which is the story how Havelange used bungs to get into FIFA, and took backhanders, and nearly 40 years after he did it.

Because everyone in the organisation is taking huge bribes, they want to wait till one of their ex-members is about to cop it until they accuse him. Spotlight off them, people get their hate figure, and he doesn't have to suffer it for long. Boom. Problem sorted for a little bit.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 16:56:04 by Honkytonk » Logged
iffy

« Reply #219 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 17:05:57 »

The IOC's only been corrupt since that filthy Belgian Rogge took power. FIFA's been corrupt for decades.

You are either Juan Antonio Samaranch, or his mum. Smiley

Though Jack Warner has to be the most vile little weasel in world sport.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 17:19:07 »

You are either Juan Antonio Samaranch, or his mum. Smiley

CURSES, FOILED AGAIN.

If you're referring to him opening up the IOC as a global brand billboard, instead of one that supported local businesses, it was only a matter of time before that happened. I don't think it should be that way, and don't thank him for it, but it does just seem to be the way everything goes eventually.

Though Jack Warner has to be the most vile little weasel in world sport who's been caught.

Fixed.
iffy

« Reply #221 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 17:49:09 »

Fixed.

Good point, well made.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 18:23:14 »

Millwall fans at it again, though at least they were just fighting amongst themselves this time.

How many times has this happened with their fans?

When are the authorities going to do something about it?

Millwall,Palace tonight...sell out and that will be very tasty.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #223 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 19:48:17 »

So a 96 year old resigns having taken shitloads of money - as does an 86 year old. They don't have to repay anything either. Fuck me that'll teach them. So what happened to Texeira? But its alright as Blatter was totally exonerated and that concludes the investigation.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 20:51:27 »

I couldn't think of the right place to put this, but I feel at least part of the story will belong in this thread.

An interesting little tale from The Den, where Millwall substituted Dany N'Guessan off just 15 minutes after bringing him on - and he wasn't injured. He was booed by his own fans as he took his time in walking off the pitch. He ignored manager Kenny Jackett and walked down the tunnel.

From the live ticker on the BBC website. Anyone heard anything about this?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 469   Go Up
Print
Jump to: