Pages: 1 ... 322 323 324 [325] 326 327 328 ... 474   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1648689 times)
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #4860 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 17:48:55 »

Need to consider all this in more detail, but initial impressions - it’s not perfect (for example, you’d have to ringfence the aid provided to FL clubs so that cowboy chairmen don’t pocket it and do a runner, or allow the aid to be a magnet for even more of those types in the game) but it’s not as bad as people are making out, and may just save the EFL. The main grumble is if this is the thin end of the wedge, and the power grab is used as an abuse for the Top 6, but is that not better than a series of clubs going under?

« Last Edit: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 18:09:42 by Frigby Daser » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4861 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 18:48:36 »

A lot of people seem to be assuming that any money from the Premier League would be distributed fairly within the EFL. It wouldn't. Currently Championship clubs take 80% of the central money from the EFL, unless that changes, this would benefit the very wealthiest clubs in the Premier League and might help some in the Championship but it would just serve to widen even further the gaping chasm between L1/L2 and the Championship which is already in danger of becoming a bigger jump than the gap between the Championship and the PL. This looks a lot like Premiership 2, with L1 and L2 left to wither and die.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #4862 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 21:09:25 »

That’s why this needs more detail. If it is coming with the justification (with obvious baggage) of acting as a form of aid for lower league clubs, that has to genuinely benefit lower league clubs. We just don’t know yet. I don’t like the idea of there being a power grab, but the PL has so little
(positive) influence at our level, I couldn’t really care.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #4863 on: Monday, October 12, 2020, 15:48:38 »

EFL chief exec quits after only 6 months due to frustrations over covid
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4864 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2020, 13:19:00 »

FSA's view on Project Big Six Get All The Power And Money: "a sugar-coated cyanide pill"

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/project-big-picture-a-sugar-coated-cyanide-pill/
Banker

On The Bank

Ignore
« Reply #4865 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2020, 13:26:44 »

The Thoughts of Chairman Olly...well worth a listen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08v2zsf

Holloway: "Greed is disgusting, and that’s what I’m seeing everywhere. It’s absolutely vile."
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4866 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2020, 21:46:36 »

The more I think about Project Big Six, the more I think aside from the restricted voting power grab (and that's a massive caveat), I could probably live with the bad stuff if it means the start of a better redistribution of TV money. As Frigby says, you'd need safeguards around that like protections from the Steve Dales etc, and you'd need concrete guarantees that two years down the line the Big Six couldn't just pull the rug on the redistribution and revert back to 8% from 25%. For me, I'd also want to see a restructuring of the distribution within the EFL, so more like 50% Championship, and 25% each to L1 and L2, than the current 75-80% to the Championship. But I suspect the restricted voting is a non-negotiable and that runs the risk of all the goodies being withdrawn a few years down the line at the whim of Joel Glazer and John Henry.

I can certainly see why reportedly 90% of EFL clubs are in favour though
Panda Paws

« Reply #4867 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 08:00:10 »

Two simultaneuous threads on this, but I agree Paul.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4868 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 08:32:10 »

Two simultaneuous threads on this, but I agree Paul.
Yeah, sorry, I posted a change of heart thing here as this is where Project BP was first mentioned and the other thread seemed to be a bit more about the bailout than PBP per se. What I'd add in this thread is your recommendation of the Chapman and Ornstein podcast discussion of the topic, very measured and with some well-informed guests talking knowledgeably about a subject they actually know a lot about. So the diametric opposite of most football pods (Loathed Strangers aside, natch). Very much well worth a listen, it played a large part in shifting me form my original knee-jerk to a more nuanced thinking about it all.

The relevant episode's here if people want to listen to it:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zaW1wbGVjYXN0LmNvbS9zR2FhOVhVag/episode/NmYzZWRiMTAtMDI3Ny0xMWViLWE5MGMtN2ZiMzYxYWZjNWEz
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4869 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 09:17:11 »

Inn regards to the 'power' aspect, anyone care tob explain the immediate cons of the 'big 6' proposal on the EFL.

for example, does it allow direct meddling  in EFL matters/structure (parachute payments aside)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4870 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 09:18:27 »

next mind, I think Panda explains it in the other thread
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #4871 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 12:18:52 »

Sky now reporting plans to channel some of the money from the PL pay per view games have been scrapped due to the fall out of project big picture
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4872 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 12:37:29 »

Sky now reporting plans to channel some of the money from the PL pay per view games have been scrapped due to the fall out of project big picture

Project Bollocks was only ever going to be a starting point for negotiations, it as something like the 17th iteration of the plan and was leaked into the public domain, its basically the same as the government constantly briefing via the Telegraph to see what they think the public will put up with.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4873 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 13:22:25 »

That's just a "See what happens? See what happens when you fuck with us?" tantrum from the PL hierarchy pissed off with Parry's involvement in this. Quite pathetic.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4874 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 13:39:39 »

The thing is its being suggested that the majority of FL chairman are broadly in support of it, whilst the PL chairman (bar the top 6) are not, so could be some rather interesting electioneering coming up!
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 324 [325] 326 327 328 ... 474   Go Up
Print
Jump to: