Pages: 1 ... 298 299 300 [301] 302 303 304 ... 474   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1643494 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #4500 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:43:08 »

And if it's hypocrisy you're after, we're every bit of guilty of the boom/bust economics as Bournemouth.

I think you've missed the point.

I know we have been just as guilty in the past, and I have not said otherwise. And I acknowledge that was wrong of us. Even when things were going well under PDC I said I doubt it would be sustainable if we get to the Championship. I think that ALL teams should be made to operate within their means. Us included.

But why is it that when we do it, it's cheating (which is a fair call), but the same does not apply to others?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4501 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:44:18 »

Surely half the fun of being a football fan is taking delight in the demise of whomever it is you happen to dislike.

It doesn’t have to be rational at all. Some things - such as my intense dislike of Watford - are entirely personal.

I was quite looking forward to RB Swindon - until Tactics Tim turned up!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4502 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:44:44 »

That's bizarre - the "cheating" comments are from fans of rival clubs, the "fairytale" shit (which I agree is bollocks) is from lazy pundits. It's not even the same people being "hypocritical",  much less Bournemouth who are the object of your hatred. And if it's hypocrisy you're after, we're every bit of guilty of the boom/bust economics as Bournemouth.
I have to do disagree on that, I read other teams forums and I can say for certain that some posters on the Bristol City forum OTIB were calling us cheats a few years ago for our over spending, yet then say how great it is to be backed by Lansdown who will put in whatever it takes to get them to the top.

Thats utter hypocricy.

They are also the same ones who said we were saying we had won the league in October after we beat them in their promotion season when in actual fact the only people saying we were celebrating "like we won the league" were City fans, no Swindon fan ever said that yet were accused of it.

Some Bournemouth fans too can have that levelled at them on their forum, saying we were massively over spending then actually love it when they do it themselves.

And yes of course we are almost as guilty of that at times, but its certainly not just pundits that say that about the "dream".

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4503 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:46:21 »

Doesn't this sort of sniping just reek of envy and subsequently schadenfreude? Though I guess those themes have been given full rein in the UK these days.

I must confess I have a wry smile at the griping about Salford, if we had owners prepared to do the same we would be lapping it up!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #4504 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:47:09 »

I think people are being a bit one-eyed. We notice when fans of other clubs call us cheats, while we call other clubs cheats. What goes around comes around.

Beyond a bit of gentle teasing, I'm not big into football rivalries. Haters gonna hate.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4505 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:47:48 »

I think you've missed the point.

I know we have been just as guilty in the past, and I have not said otherwise. Even when things were going well under PDC I said I doubt it would be sustainable if we get to the Championship. I think that ALL teams should be made to operate within their means. Us included.

But why is it that when we do it, it's cheating (which is a fair call), but the same does not apply to others?
I can see why that irritates but aside from Chris Wilder and Brentford, examples I wasn't aware of tbf, the accusations of cheating have largely been levelled by rival fans. And I don't think they've then described Bournemouth as a "fairytale" which was your objection. Either way, hating those fans or Chris Wilder or Brentford for having a go at us and not having a go at Bournemouth might make some kind of sense. But hating Bournemouth who as far as I know haven't had a go at us for our unsustainable overspending because other people aren't having a go at them just seems a bit odd. You're normally quite a rational person, this seems strangely irrational
Flashheart

« Reply #4506 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:57:17 »

I can see why that irritates but aside from Chris Wilder and Brentford, examples I wasn't aware of tbf, the accusations of cheating have largely been levelled by rival fans.

And that also irritates me. Again - it's the hypocrisy.

And I don't think they've then described Bournemouth as a "fairytale" which was your objection.

I didn't say they did. It was the press that do that.

Either way, hating those fans or Chris Wilder or Brentford for having a go at us and not having a go at Bournemouth might make some kind of sense.

NNgghh. That's not what I said either.

But hating Bournemouth who as far as I know haven't had a go at us for our unsustainable overspending because other people aren't having a go at them just seems a bit odd.

But they have done. In the past. They've even been out with the collection buckets before or after criticising us. And now, here they are, a fairytale.
Flashheart

« Reply #4507 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 15:03:22 »

I didn't say it's only Bournemouth's fault, and there are other elements (press etc) contributing to it.

But they, for me, symbolise the whole problem. In addition to a fair whack of personal dislike.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #4508 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 15:05:42 »

I can see why that irritates but aside from Chris Wilder and Brentford, examples I wasn't aware of tbf, the accusations of cheating have largely been levelled by rival fans. And I don't think they've then described Bournemouth as a "fairytale" which was your objection. Either way, hating those fans or Chris Wilder or Brentford for having a go at us and not having a go at Bournemouth might make some kind of sense. But hating Bournemouth who as far as I know haven't had a go at us for our unsustainable overspending because other people aren't having a go at them just seems a bit odd. You're normally quite a rational person, this seems strangely irrational
Surely not everything you dislike/hate in life is rational?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4509 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 15:13:04 »

I don't mind wilder, as ex scum goes.

in that he left them under pressure from fans and it's completely obvious they were holding him back.

no wait, scum cunt.. that's better
Flashheart

« Reply #4510 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 15:25:21 »

On a slight tangent, not entirely unrelated.

Should Bournemouth (hopefully) end up going down and, ultimately, end up dropping into non-league or whatever - nothing would happen. The Linekers' of the world would say next to nothing. They'd be too busy focusing on the next new 'fairytale'. I suppose that's not their job, but...

The PL/FL/FA wouldn't do anything either. Bournemouth would just be forgotten and a string of new owners will continue buying up clubs to do the same thing at the risk of putting those clubs out of existence altogether.

Should it happen to a big club like Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, however... THEN it would be time to do something. As though all those clubs that suffered before meant nothing.

And that pisses me off also. And Bournemouth are symbolic of that. (And I do also have a personal dislike of them)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4511 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 15:33:17 »

Surely not everything you dislike/hate in life is rational?
Oh God no, absolutely not. But FH usually is so rational, and stands and falls on it, it kind of surprised me a bit was all. But yes he's perfectly entitled to be as irrational as the rest of us if he wants!

I didn't say they did. It was the press that do that.
I know, that was my point. One group of people can't be hypocrites because another group of people take a contradictory stance to theirs. That
That's just bizarre.
On a slight tangent, not entirely unrelated.

Should Bournemouth (hopefully) end up going down and, ultimately, end up dropping into non-league or whatever - nothing would happen. The Linekers' of the world would say next to nothing. They'd be too busy focusing on the next new 'fairytale'. I suppose that's not their job, but...

The PL/FL/FA wouldn't do anything either. Bournemouth would just be forgotten and a string of new owners will continue buying up clubs to do the same thing at the risk of putting those clubs out of existence altogether.

Should it happen to a big club like Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, however... THEN it would be time to do something. As though all those clubs that suffered before meant nothing.
This, on the other hand, is absolutely spot on and symptomatic of much that is wrong with what laughably passes for "governance in football".
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #4512 on: Saturday, January 18, 2020, 11:16:35 »

I don't mind wilder, as ex scum goes.

in that he left them under pressure from fans and it's completely obvious they were holding him back.

no wait, scum cunt.. that's better

I quite like him, breath of fresh air in the Prem.

As for Bournemouth, they deserve to go under just for spending £20m on Dominic Solanke
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #4513 on: Saturday, January 18, 2020, 18:15:06 »

I think our scenario under Black was different to Bournemouth in Black and Co put money into the club for the best part of 6 years to clear the old debt and stabilise the club. Black was signing the cheques until end of 2012 and wrote off a large chunk of the loans he funded.

Bournemouth went from a supporters trust run club after their begging bowl days to borrowing £30 off the Russian based in Sandbanks. They saw a gap in a relatively weak Championship for a couple of years and got up before FFP rules kicked in.

Others like QPR and Leicester did similar but now the EFL are going after the clubs overspending. They don't care if like a Bristol City it is funded by owners putting in equity rather than loans. City have st least spent a fortune but a lot of that is on the stadium etc.

Bournemouth pulled any ground plans in the last year and all their income is going to staying in the PL. You just need one bad season or even an injury run and it all comes crashing down. What are Bournemouth going to show for their PL fairytale?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4514 on: Saturday, January 18, 2020, 18:53:23 »

Bournemouth have relatively little income apart from the TV cash - and almost all of that goes on wages.

Lose that, even with parachute payments, and they’ll tumble down the leagues - maybe even worse than that.

Good to see they lost again today.
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 300 [301] 302 303 304 ... 474   Go Up
Print
Jump to: