Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 469   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1628841 times)
carbonwhite

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 02:25:15 »

He's a cock of the highest order, a 40 something old man trying to live the life of a 22 year old with the views of a blinkered pony.
Reminds me of Pat Sharp
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 06:55:26 »

The only thing - literally the only thing McCoy has said that I like is that he wants the club embedded in the community. There are only a handful of clubs left that do it properly (and you could probably find reasons to exclude all of them) with a local chairman, commitment to youth and their community. Maybe Crewe, Middlesborough, Swansea, West Brom and perhaps Palace. Forest and Southampton used to be good examples, but have sold out.

Burnley seem to be a club that engages the local community and is punching above its weight.

Its a shame, but the community of Swindon is far removed from Burnley when it comes to buying in to the local football team.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 07:09:50 »

He's a cock of the highest order, a 40 something old man trying to live the life of a 22 year old with the views of a blinkered pony.

Like most of the posters on here then really......  Cheesy
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 07:12:29 »

Burnley seem to be a club that engages the local community and is punching above its weight.

Its a shame, but the community of Swindon is far removed from Burnley when it comes to buying in to the local football team.

I agree.  Just by taking a look at a map, you can see that Burnley is significantly smaller than Swindon...and yet they manage to hold their own in the Championship year after year with crowds well in excess of ours.

Another example I'd add to the list is Ipswich.  Again, smaller than Swindon.  But they are much more embedded in the local community - as their crowds and their history suggest.
woolster

« Reply #244 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 07:17:05 »

The only thing - literally the only thing McCoy has said that I like is that he wants the club embedded in the community.

That won't happen
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 07:33:42 »

17:15 kick off at Wembley today. That's what's wrong with football!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 07:38:17 »

I didn't even realise it was the FA cup final today. Not sure if that says more about me or more about the lack of gravitas that the final now holds. Both probably.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 07:42:41 »

I hadn't even realised it was today either. The FA Cup final should be the weekend after the league season finishes. Stupid UEFA.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 10:09:53 »

I agree.  Just by taking a look at a map, you can see that Burnley is significantly smaller than Swindon...and yet they manage to hold their own in the Championship year after year with crowds well in excess of ours.

Another example I'd add to the list is Ipswich.  Again, smaller than Swindon.  But they are much more embedded in the local community - as their crowds and their history suggest.

Having been out in Burnley after we played Accrington, their success may be more down to a lack of anything else to do.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 10:23:58 »

Having been out in Burnley after we played Accrington, their success may be more down to a lack of anything else to do.

Surely with Blackburn and Bradford not far...oh I see your point.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 10:30:59 »

There is often a comparison in relative sizes of Town's when we look at stuff like this, but isn't the problem that although Swindon has grown dramatically in size over the years most of the people that have moved in have done so to commute elsewhere and don't really have much (if any) history with the Town.

What Swindon have appeared to fail to do over the years is get the local kids hooked, and build a crowd for the future.

I don't know the actual numbers, but I've always though that it appears as if a big percentage of Town's fans come from the outlying areas rather than the Town itself.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 10:39:16 »

There is often a comparison in relative sizes of Town's when we look at stuff like this, but isn't the problem that although Swindon has grown dramatically in size over the years most of the people that have moved in have done so to commute elsewhere and don't really have much (if any) history with the Town.

What Swindon have appeared to fail to do over the years is get the local kids hooked, and build a crowd for the future.

I don't know the actual numbers, but I've always though that it appears as if a big percentage of Town's fans come from the outlying areas rather than the Town itself.
As an ex-Stroud lad I was one of a large group growing up that started following the Town as it was our 'local' FL club. If we'd been growing up in the same area now then we would most likely have been drawn more to Cheltenham Town.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 11:18:18 »

The club can be accussed of many things down the years, but not engaging with the community isn't really one of them. Most community stuff is funded by grants, therefore various STFC boards have only been too happy to sign up.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 12:23:54 »

Surely with Blackburn and Bradford not far...oh I see your point.

Bradford, random selection of club when referring to Burnley isn't it?

Just looked up on map, I had no idea Bradford was as close as it was (as the crow flies anyway).
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 14:05:36 »

Bradford, random selection of club when referring to Burnley isn't it?

Just looked up on map, I had no idea Bradford was as close as it was (as the crow flies anyway).
I meant as places for rob (and the Burnley populous) to go out in instead of Burnley, rather than alternative teams to support
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 469   Go Up
Print
Jump to: