Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 ... 472   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1641466 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1935 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2015, 18:16:22 »

According to Wakipedia...

'Bolton's debt is substantial, at £136.5m as at the end of the 2012–13 season, but £125m of this is owed to majority shareholder Eddie Davies, with only £11.5m due to external organisations. The debt has climbed rapidly from £29m at the start of the 2007–08 season when Gary Megson was installed as manager, who embarked upon a substantial spending spree in an attempt to prevent the club suffering relegation from the Premier League. In response to this rapid increase, the debt owed to Eddie Davies was renegotiated from short-term to long-term debt during the 2011–12 season, meaning the club would have 10 years from demand of repayment to satisfy the debt and any interest accumulated.'

Not really sure what happened at Bolton, they have gone from what appeared to be a reasonably well run outfit to something like a smaller scale Leeds disaster....

Not sure they were ever well run.  They got a boon from selling Burnden Park and then getting a long term deal with Reebok for the new stadium.  Outside of that Davies has been funding losses for a decade or more.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1936 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2015, 20:01:42 »

This is the fundamental problem with football that the vast majority of clubs live beyond their means and it gets funded by owner loans (technically repayble) or share capital which only generates a return if you can sell at a profit.

There's huge pressure from fans for owners to 'invest' in their clubs or to compete financially with the other clubs in their league. When that doesn't happen or the money runs out then the aggro starts. Supporters enjoy the ride and rarely question how it's paid for.

Bolton have enjoyed their 'glory years' with a long run in the Premier League but you're only one or two bad managerial appointments (Owen Coyle) from disaster. If you don't get back up with the parachute payments then you're buggered. Of course you're one good appointment e.g. Eddie Howe with some investment from the promised land.

I can see another Pompey slide here unless they can turn it around in League 1 next year.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1937 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2015, 20:11:39 »

I blame john mcginlay. The fat twat
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #1938 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2015, 20:31:46 »

They aren't helping themselves by having a Heskey/Ameobi strikeforce
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #1939 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2015, 20:51:52 »

I can see another Pompey slide here unless they can turn it around in League 1 next year.

I just can see a Pompey slide...even though the owner will write off the debt, the wage bill is too big, that's the real reason why no-one wants to take it on, especially as the parachute payments run out this season.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1940 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2015, 20:54:55 »

....Of course you're one good appointment e.g. Eddie Howe with some investment from the promised land.....
It's only a matter of time before Bournemouth go the same way. And let's not kid ourselves that, allowing for some miracle, we ended up back in the Premier League one day, we would also end up sliding down again.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #1941 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2015, 22:16:47 »

It's only a matter of time before Bournemouth go the same way. And let's not kid ourselves that, allowing for some miracle, we ended up back in the Premier League one day, we would also end up sliding down again.
Bournemouth took an opportunity from a relatively weak Championship, momentum from their League 1 promotion and a £30 million of Russian loans over 3 years to get promoted.

The key is to stay in the Premier League like Palace have done or take a more prudent approach like Burnley, take the money and accept your fate and hope you bounce back with parachute payments.

Be interesting to see what Bournemouth do when they come back down. Do they pay off the debt and rebuild long term stability or put it all on red and have another go for the Premier League.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1942 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2015, 23:06:31 »

Bournemouth took an opportunity from a relatively weak Championship, momentum from their League 1 promotion and a £30 million of Russian loans over 3 years to get promoted.

The key is to stay in the Premier League like Palace have done or take a more prudent approach like Burnley, take the money and accept your fate and hope you bounce back with parachute payments.

Be interesting to see what Bournemouth do when they come back down. Do they pay off the debt and rebuild long term stability or put it all on red and have another go for the Premier League.
Am I right in thinking however that unlike many owner 'loans', Bournemouth's Russian is charging them a sensible interest rate on the cash he has loaned? Has messy written all over it.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1943 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 08:40:02 »

Am I right in thinking however that unlike many owner 'loans', Bournemouth's Russian is charging them a sensible interest rate on the cash he has loaned? Has messy written all over it.

Isn't he happy at Barca?

Oh- Messy. My bad Doh
Skinny Pete

« Reply #1944 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 09:26:14 »

But whatever way they cut it at Muff, they can still only get 10,000 in their ground.

Can't see Ivan the Terrible countenancing spending all his extortion money on building a new  ground.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1945 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 09:37:51 »

I blame john mcginlay. The fat twat

I'm not the only one then!  I'm not proud of this, but have to admit that McGinlay was the first name that came to me when I read about Bolton's problems yesterday.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #1946 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 09:45:37 »

That was a little bit before my time. What did McGinlay actually do?
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #1947 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 10:05:35 »

But whatever way they cut it at Muff, they can still only get 10,000 in their ground.

Can't see Ivan the Terrible countenancing spending all his extortion money on building a new  ground.

Wouldn't need to.

As with most new grounds their stands have been designed so that a 2nd tier can be added on relatively cheaply and easily
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1948 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 10:37:19 »

I'm not the only one then!  I'm not proud of this, but have to admit that McGinlay was the first name that came to me when I read about Bolton's problems yesterday.
Me too!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1949 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 10:38:40 »

That was a little bit before my time. What did McGinlay actually do?
My personal dislike goes back to his physical assault on Mark Robinson... Cannot speak for others.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 ... 472   Go Up
Print
Jump to: