Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Macclesfield Town FA Cup Rd 1 Official Matchday Thread  (Read 37068 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 11:07:05 »

Just think. If we got another million or so, PDC could piss it all up the wall on more luxury players that get a handful of games before falling out of favour! (Someone had to say it)

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 11:35:23 »

One of the (as yet) unticked boxes on PDC's CV is the one that demonstrates he can develop a player.  Take a raw recruit, and build him in to something better.  Move him on to the next level.  Without the ability to do that, his managerial career will hit the skids or, at best, plateau.

Too many of our players this year are 'doing OK', when initial expectations were much higher.  Collins, Troy, Gary Roberts, Navarro, Miller...some of these players have got to find another gear - and it's PDC's job to facilitate that.  If Collins and Roberts (for example) end up going the same way as Connell and Rooney (L), the alarm bells are going to start ringing.  Less focus on loan players and embargoes; more on the development of the existing squad members.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 11:39:34 »

Having seen others clubs overpay for Rhodes and Rodriguez I can't see any sensible manager paying £8m for Austin when you get better value for money abroad
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 11:45:27 »

Austin will not go for £8million. I personally don't think he can cut it in the premiership, but has surprised me this season in the championship.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 11:49:09 »

Ironic that the only predicatable thing this season is DiCanio.....Normal team service resumed by Tuesday...probably obvious but I am now officially a member of DiCanio gets on my tits club. Which is something I can`t really believe especially after Paul Hart, Malpas etc....

Bathtime
adje

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 11:49:09 »

Ardiles is right

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 12:05:46 »

One of the (as yet) unticked boxes on PDC's CV is the one that demonstrates he can develop a player.  Take a raw recruit, and build him in to something better.  Move him on to the next level.  Without the ability to do that, his managerial career will hit the skids or, at best, plateau.

Too many of our players this year are 'doing OK', when initial expectations were much higher.  Collins, Troy, Gary Roberts, Navarro, Miller...some of these players have got to find another gear - and it's PDC's job to facilitate that.  If Collins and Roberts (for example) end up going the same way as Connell and Rooney (L), the alarm bells are going to start ringing.  Less focus on loan players and embargoes; more on the development of the existing squad members.

Absolutely spot on Ardiles.  Unfortunately Di Canio currently doesn't have the patience to do this as yet and up until now has been afforded the luxury of discarding players that could have been developed and replacing them with others who so far have offered nothing more.  Jonathan Smith is a prime example of this imo, was reasonably young still and enough ability to push on with the right support.

I don't think the new chairman will give as much leywey, but I'm not sure Di Canio will then change his focus on developing players he's already got.  He's probably more likely to have a paddy and quit!

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 12:06:16 »

Ardiles is right

No he isn't...we've left the pay some money for potential policy behind after buying Ritchie, Caddis, Ferry, Flint and ending up in Div 4, for the short term, let's get a big squad of Div 3 journeymen in, and hope that's enough to get us up this season policy.

The likes of Miller, Roberts, Navarro, Williams, McEveley, all fit this bill. TAH and Collins are perhaps the 2, who we hope might develop, but going to tribunal, was always going to muddy those particular waters.

PdC remit is solely to get us up this season...
betheref

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 12:08:58 »

This, Having just watched it several times even in slow mo just can't see how it was a red. The ref couldn't get the card out quick enough.

Serious foul play. FIFA Law 12.

A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality
against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play.

A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as
serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force
and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play
adje

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 12:16:57 »

No he isn't...we've left the pay some money for potential policy behind after buying Ritchie, Caddis, Ferry, Flint and ending up in Div 4, for the short term, let's get a big squad of Div 3 journeymen in, and hope that's enough to get us up this season policy.

The likes of Miller, Roberts, Navarro, Williams, McEveley, all fit this bill. TAH and Collins are perhaps the 2, who we hope might develop, but going to tribunal, was always going to muddy those particular waters.

PdC remit is solely to get us up this season...

"one of the unticked boxes on PDC's CV is the one that demonstrates he can develop a player".In my opinion that is unequivocally correct.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 12:28:46 »

"one of the unticked boxes on PDC's CV is the one that demonstrates he can develop a player".In my opinion that is unequivocally correct.

I don't think it's in his job description....let's take the earlier case of Huddersfield as an example, they wanted to get up...Clark failed so was sacked, despite always getting to the PO's hardly losing a game last season, and Rhodes developing into a very decent asset.

Clearly this is why PdC keeps going on about the embargo, he's not looking to develop players, but wants to continuously recycle them in pursuit of points....it worked last season, and he hoped it would this.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 12:32:35 »

maybe Reg, its a fair comparison but the box remains unticked in his managerial development.Surely the embargo is a sign that the board's expectation is that the manager "develops" the players he signs into the required standard to gain promotion
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 12:35:59 by adje » Logged

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 12:37:30 »

I don't think it's in his job description....let's take the earlier case of Huddersfield as an example, they wanted to get up...Clark failed so was sacked, despite always getting to the PO's hardly losing a game last season, and Rhodes developing into a very decent asset.

Clearly this is why PdC keeps going on about the embargo, he's not looking to develop players, but wants to continuously recycle them in pursuit of points....it worked last season, and he hoped it would this.
Maybe it's not part of his remit to 'develop' players Reg, but I don't think he always gets the best out of  his players either and that certainly should be part of his job and something which Martin O'Neill for example has been consistantly good at over the years. Macari also excelled in this respect for for us. You can't constantly 'recycle' players as you put it. It's not sustainable.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 12:48:22 »

Serious foul play. FIFA Law 12.

A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality
against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play.

A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as
serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force
and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play
Rule one in football: you can't do shit without the ball so go get it back. If that's a red we might as well all pack up and go watch netball. Poor little number 10, was that tackle a little hard for you.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 12:50:44 »

Maybe it's not part of his remit to 'develop' players Reg, but I don't think he always gets the best out of  his players either and that certainly should be part of his job and something which Martin O'Neill for example has been consistantly good at over the years. Macari also excelled in this respect for for us. You can't constantly 'recycle' players as you put it. It's not sustainable.

Agreed and others have mentioned the inability to motivate the players for the games against 'lesser' sides.  The ones which we invariably end up losing.  That to me links into not getting the best out of players and is an issue.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: