Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mark Clattenburg  (Read 13052 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 00:21:39 »

So Chelsea are accusing Clattenburg of racially abusing one player (John Obi Mikel) and using unsuitable language at another (calling someone a "Spanish t**t", maybe Torres?). Guess we'll find out what was said as the 3 other officials would have heard every word through the mics and the Sky camera's have probably picked it up.

But either way I'm not sure Chelsea are doing themselves any favours. They claim to have a zero tolerance to racism, yet Terry is found guilty and they don't even take the captaincy off him. Today their fans were throwing missiles on to the pitch, possibly injuring a steward in the process. After the game Di Matteo pretty much called Clattenburg a cheat. Then they make the complaint, issue a press release and then brief the press on the side as to the racism claim.

Seems to me like things are veering towards getting out of control. Continual attacks on the referees. Players baiting the crowd and managers (reckon Moyles would have been justified giving Suarez a good slap). Missiles being thrown. The fight against racism is becoming a farce. Can see it kicking off big style if they don't get it under control.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 29, 2012, 00:23:29 by jonny72 » Logged
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 00:37:08 »

Those nice Chelsea players never abuse refs and call them every name under the sun.

I just am not entirely sure where it all ends really.  Do I think Clattenberg said something?  Probably, its a pretty serious accusation to make.
Dozno9

« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 07:16:36 »

They should get their own house in order but that doesn't mean they shouldn't report any abuse given out by referees.

Saying that, the amount of abuse given to referees by players is ridiculous at times and wouldn't be tolerated in most sports.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 08:24:13 »

Stuff like this is why I lose more interest in the Premiership every year.

Every time there is a big game the main story in the aftermath is always a controversy of some sort as opposed to headlines about a great goal, team or player performance.
dave_bambers_right_sock

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 10:40:23 »

This thread reminded me of this :

BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 10:56:52 »

Bad language or not, the man has long showed himself to be an incompetent match referee. Why they keep giving him these big games is beyond me.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 10:57:15 »

They should get their own house in order but that doesn't mean they shouldn't report any abuse given out by referees.

Saying that, the amount of abuse given to referees by players is ridiculous at times and wouldn't be tolerated in most sports.

Its not tolerated at lower levels though is it?

Lower you go the better you have to behave.

Clems Army!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 10:57:41 »

Stuff like this is why I lose more interest in the Premiership every year.

Every time there is a big game the main story in the aftermath is always a controversy of some sort as opposed to headlines about a great goal, team or player performance.

Bang on....have some class and however you lose accept it and move on.
It is becoming so fucking boring hearing managers moan at every decision that goes a wry.
Yep Chelsea were unlucky no doubt but move on.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 19:39:27 »

Interesting article from the Daily Mail;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2224744/Mark-Clattenburg-just-latest-referee-involved-controversy-Chelsea.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Commenting on what has happened to some of the referees following them officiating Chelsea games. Frisk quitting the game due to death threats from Chelsea fans. For Poll it contributed to him retiring. Tom Henning Ovrebo had to be taken to a safe house and then smuggled out of the country, also received death threats from Chelsea fans and quit a year later.

Something bad is going to happen one day if the authorities don't get a grip on things. Sure refs make mistakes and some come across as incompetent but I also know they're trying their best and wouldn't knowingly make a bad decision. They do an excellent job when you take all the abuse and criticism they get in to account and they need more protection.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 19:57:05 »

Even worse are commentators and the like who have multiple slow-motion replays to base opinions on, refs have no such luck.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 21:11:49 »

If found guilty Clattenburg could be sacked by FA, yet a footballer just get a few match bad. double standards.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 21:55:25 »

I get that the refs make mistakes, and some believe video evidence can erradicate this, but other than the use of several well placed snipers in the stands, how do clubs like Chelsea propose to erradicate Ashley Cole and his ilk (excessively over paid shit average at best defenders) so that they don't have to deal with game changing conceeded goals like the first two yesterday?  It is shocking in the modern age that clubs have to have their seasons, and Managers their careers, decided by moments of incompetence like these.

On the abuse, assuming it wasn't racial for now (you'd think given he is miked-up it's a bit suicidal otherwise), I'm all for dishing out free kicks and then yellows for any abuse to a ref.  Yes games will end up being abandoned due to too few players for a week or two, but it'll soon sort it out.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 21:57:53 »

I think you'll find Clattenberg was just repeating, incredulously, the words he thought he heard Jon Obi Mikel utter to him - it's easily done you know
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 23:14:44 »

Agree that refs do get a hard time, nearly every decision they make is contested by Players. Even when it's a blatantly obvious and correct decision someone still has something to say. My only gripe is you don't very often hear a ref come out afterwards and say they messed up during a game and got decisions ( some very ) wrong.  it's like they all close rank and deny any knowledge of making mistakes. I know they move refs around the leagues depending on their preformances but I'd like to see the refs every now and then put their hand up when they mess up big time. Think they would gain more respect in the long run which can only be good for the game.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 29, 2012, 23:16:52 by Notts red » Logged
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 01:08:44 »

Details from the Mirror of what happened after the game.

It was at around 6.05pm, minutes after the final whistle of United’s win, that Clattenburg and his assistants – Simon Long and Michael McDonough – were confronted in the officials’ dressing room by a Chelsea delegation. The party consisted of chief executive Ron Gourlay, manager Roberto Di Matteo, his assistant Eddie Newton and Mikel. They had gone into the referee’s room demanding a reponse from Clattenburg after making the claim that the official had insulted two of their players. Clattenburg, who had sent off Chelsea players Branislav Ivanovic and Fernando Torres and allowed a United winner scored by an offside player, refused.

Matters quickly became heated, with Mikel seen and heard screaming in the direction of Clattenburg. Banging and shouting could be heard coming from the referee’s dressing room. Seconds later, tunnel security staff rushed into the room to come between the two parties. They were followed into what is an enclosed area by Chelsea captain John Terry, who watch the game from the stand while continuing his FA suspension for racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand.

Terry raced from the other end of the tunnel area – around 15 yards – to join the melee. The door was then closed, and the shouting and screaming continued for several further minutes. One source told the Mirror: “It was like a fight had started in a pub and all the bouncers were rushing in to deal with it.”

Once the fracas was calmed down, Terry emerged, followed by Gourlay and Newton, Mikel and the security staff. The door was again closed, leaving Di Matteo alone with the officials. Several minutes after that, the Italian came out “drenched in sweat”, before regaining his composure to go and speak to the media.

The FA have received details of a furious confrontation in the referee's changing room at Stamford Bridge involving angry Chelsea officials, Mark Clattenburg and John Obi Mikel. Clattenburg is believed to have referred to an 'extraordinary incident' in his report of the Blues' highly-charged loss to Manchester United.

It emerged late on Monday that the words "I'm gonna f******g break your legs" were heard during a furious post-match bust-up. They came from inside the referee's dressing room as Clattenburg and his officials were angrily confronted by Chelsea staff and Mikel, the man the Blues claim was racially abused by the Gosforth official on Sunday. The Mirror understands the scenes became so heated, onlookers described the intervention of security staff as resembling "bouncers at a pub brawl".
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: