Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Isle of Wight  (Read 5321 times)
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 16:45:56 »

Thought the Needles was shit when we went but kids might enjoy it more. Carisbrooke Castle as Arriba mentioned is great though and the seaside towns are lovely.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
fatbasher

« Reply #16 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 17:50:33 »

I have to stay over night regularly for business. South and east side are nice. Recommend The Hawley guest house in Shanklin. Closed at the moment for some refubishments.   
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #17 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 17:58:46 »

Wait for a response from Peter Venkman, as he is over there now (or on his way back).
Just got back this afternoon and it is a lovely place with plenty to see and do for a week, not much more though I have to admit, but we did 4 days and will go back again.

Carisbrooke Castle, the steam railway and Osborne House are good afternoons out, the Brading roman villa is also interesting and some of the beaches are excellent.

The garlic farm is a must if you enjoy garlic. Also the shipwreck museum is good.

The quality of 90% of the roads is awful as is the standard of the locals driving who drive at speed and never expect anything coming the other way and a fair few speed cameras too for such a low mileage of roads.

Avoid Godshill which is where all the oldies go.

Well worth the visit and only 30 mins on the ferry.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #18 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 19:13:13 »

Went a few summers back with wife and kids. Rented a cottage for £800 and spent about £100 on the ferry. Got to the cottage was an absolute shithole and phoned the company i was renting it from. They said they'd clean it up, I told them to go fuck themseves and got the next ferry back. Got my money back after the bastards had said no.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #19 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 19:16:06 »

We stayed in a chalet in Thorness Bay, booked up 6 weeks ago for 4 of us and it cost £120 including the return ferry crossing, yes its out of season but excellent value.

red socks

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 07:52:05 »

Just got back this afternoon and it is a lovely place with plenty to see and do for a week, not much more though I have to admit, but we did 4 days and will go back again.

Carisbrooke Castle, the steam railway and Osborne House are good afternoons out, the Brading roman villa is also interesting and some of the beaches are excellent.

The garlic farm is a must if you enjoy garlic. Also the shipwreck museum is good.

The quality of 90% of the roads is awful as is the standard of the locals driving who drive at speed and never expect anything coming the other way and a fair few speed cameras too for such a low mileage of roads.

Avoid Godshill which is where all the oldies go.

Well worth the visit and only 30 mins on the ferry.

Really? A must?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 08:09:21 »

Very much so, the garlic beer, garlic pickles, garlic fudge and some fantastic elephant garlic. It all sounds a bit wierd but it is good stuff.

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 08:10:57 »

Garlic? And fudge?
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 08:16:42 »

You've probably missed it now, but the garlic Festival is ace.

Things get better but they never get good
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 08:34:29 »

We stayed in a chalet in Thorness Bay, booked up 6 weeks ago for 4 of us and it cost £120 including the return ferry crossing, yes its out of season but excellent value.

Saw that place on the web last night, also looking at nodes point. Are the facilities good, and the entertainment ok?
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 11:23:02 »

Try prattadvisor.com

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 11:38:23 »

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=3744

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=3257
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 11:47:27 by arriba » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 11:41:26 »

Saw that place on the web last night, also looking at nodes point. Are the facilities good, and the entertainment ok?
The entertainment was typical out of season stuff with some outside entertainers like tribute bans and comedians, small swimming pool aimed at kids and large shop etc, there are about 400 static caravans and about 50 chalets and hundreds of red squirrels Smiley .

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: