Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Documentaries you would suggest  (Read 28870 times)
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, December 19, 2012, 00:22:20 »

Slight bit of pedantry...it's called just, "man on wire".

But yes it is superb. Incredible story, brilliantly told. Philippe has so much charisma he could present or tell any story and you'd be glued to it.
JanAageisGod

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, December 19, 2012, 03:41:20 »

I would suggest you try "Starsuckers" if you care about media/celebrity and that stuff.

If you want a good sports one you can't beat When We Were Kings on Foreman-Ali and the Rumble in the Jungle.

And finally, if you don't fancy conspiracies much

« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 19, 2012, 03:42:54 by JanAageisGod » Logged

Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, December 19, 2012, 23:43:16 »

I would suggest you try "Starsuckers" if you care about media/celebrity and that stuff.

If you want a good sports one you can't beat When We Were Kings on Foreman-Ali and the Rumble in the Jungle.

And finally, if you don't fancy conspiracies much

i'll bookmark those, cheers

It's not that I'm lazy.  It's that I just don't care.
Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 23:51:41 »

Watched this tonight, "This Film is not yet Rated":

Enjoyable documentary plus has the awesome Television - See No Evil over the closing credits

Banana

Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Friday, May 17, 2013, 00:15:32 »

Most powerful one I have ever seen. Called "The Bridge", about those who jump off the San Francisco Bay Bridge to their death. The producer evaded the authorities to take this footage. This is just the trailer.

-WARNING- Very depressing

Drakes Way

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Friday, May 17, 2013, 03:17:26 »

Air Crash Investigation.

The fact that these machines get off the ground to begin with never ceases to amaze me. How the investigators put together the clues and, in some cases, large parts of an aircraft in order to solve the cause of the crash is fascinating.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Friday, May 17, 2013, 06:17:34 »

Air Crash Investigation.

The fact that these machines get off the ground to begin with never ceases to amaze me. How the investigators put together the clues and, in some cases, large parts of an aircraft in order to solve the cause of the crash is fascinating.

I love the program, though not the frequent tragedy of it obviously. As a slightly nervous flier it has somehow had the opposite effect on me than would be expected, its made me less nervous.

I think its because a lot of the time its shown there is a chance of the pilot remedying the emergency, but obviously there are classes of instantly non-recoverable catastrophe.

It is a bit worrying how many have been down to pilot error though!
Drakes Way

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 04:18:09 »

I love the program, though not the frequent tragedy of it obviously. As a slightly nervous flier it has somehow had the opposite effect on me than would be expected, its made me less nervous.

I think its because a lot of the time its shown there is a chance of the pilot remedying the emergency, but obviously there are classes of instantly non-recoverable catastrophe.

I have always enjoyed flying but can see your point about the programme making you feel more comfortable. It might also be because you now know what those moving bits on the wings are doing rather than just making strange noises.

As you say a lot of incidents happen because of pilot error but generally there should be enough checks and balances in place to give the captain and his crew the ability to correct the error without serious incident.

More of a concern for me are those cases which are down to poor maintenance. The consequences often leave the pilots with little or no time/ability to recover the aircraft.
Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 19:27:02 »

Been watching a few documentaries recently.

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills (1996) was a really interesting one about the West Memphis Three; three young men convicted of the murder of school kids in an alleged "satanic ritual".  Not a case I'd heard of myself but seems to have been the US answer to the James Bulger murder, except that in this case the accused have the support of Metallica and the Dixie Chicks.

Bit of information on the case here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Memphis_Three

Taxi to the Dark Side (2007) was about the CIA's use of torture in Abu Graib, Guantanamo Bay and Bagram.

5 Broken Cameras (2011) was about a Palestinian farmer-turned video journalist living in a village close to the Israeli "security fence."  Really shocking to see the treatment meted out by the Israeli settlers and security forces (albeit a bit one sided, for obvious reasons).

I would recommend all three, especially the last one. 

LJ9
Whining little Bitch

PDC: "Send me off, we will win this league anyway"

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 13:36:30 »

Just finished watching "Catching Hell", a baseball doco about Steve Bartman...the most infamous baseball fan EVER, who caught the limelight instead of the ball.

Amazing footage and access throughout
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 14:48:40 »

Just finished watching "Catching Hell", a baseball doco about Steve Bartman...the most infamous baseball fan EVER, who caught the limelight instead of the ball.

Amazing footage and access throughout

Part of the ESPN 30 for 30 series if memory serves me right, shed load of other excellent sports documentaries in that series.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 14:53:38 »

I watched that Louis Theroux one last night about that weirdo family who picket the funerals of soldiers.

Some of the girls in it have certainly 'blossomed'

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ReadingRed

Pragmatist clapper

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 16:20:29 »

Been watching a few documentaries recently.

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills (1996) was a really interesting one about the West Memphis Three; three young men convicted of the murder of school kids in an alleged "satanic ritual".  Not a case I'd heard of myself but seems to have been the US answer to the James Bulger murder, except that in this case the accused have the support of Metallica and the Dixie Chicks.

Bit of information on the case here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Memphis_Three

Taxi to the Dark Side (2007) was about the CIA's use of torture in Abu Graib, Guantanamo Bay and Bagram.

5 Broken Cameras (2011) was about a Palestinian farmer-turned video journalist living in a village close to the Israeli "security fence"
I've just bought that for our media students (I'm a College librarian).
Brilliant documentary but what makes it interesting is the way the more brutality the camera sees, the more calm and detached the film maker seems to become. He just keeps the camera running on the shameless bullying, looting and encroaching of the Israelis.

A couple of suggestions:
Hearts of Darkness - Just watched this for the umpteenth time - the documentary about the making of Apocalypse Now and its  totally bonkers excesses. And The Last Waltz - my favourite music documentary, which probably dates me...
LJ9
Whining little Bitch

PDC: "Send me off, we will win this league anyway"

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 17:00:31 »

Part of the ESPN 30 for 30 series if memory serves me right, shed load of other excellent sports documentaries in that series.

"The Two Escobars", which is also in that series is magnificent. Currently on Netfilx
Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 17:06:31 »

Hearts of Darkness - Just watched this for the umpteenth time - the documentary about the making of Apocalypse Now and its  totally bonkers excesses.

Cheers for the recommendation, will download that next (along with Apocalypse Now, haven't seen it in years)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: