Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Documentaries you would suggest  (Read 29115 times)
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, October 20, 2012, 13:05:12 »

Some very good suggestions. Quite fancy watching this one when I get a spare hour-

Bosey

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, October 20, 2012, 14:19:10 »

Wake Up Call 2008 Remastered

Must see.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, October 20, 2012, 17:32:21 »

Power of Nightmares, Adam Curtis. Must be 8 or 9 years old now but still pretty much holds up today as a summary of the political situation.

"In the past, politicians promised to create a better world. They had different ways of achieving this, but their power and authority came from the optimistic visions they offered their people. Those dreams failed and today people have lost faith in ideologies. Increasingly, politicians are seen simply as managers of public life, but now they have discovered a new role that restores their power and authority. Instead of delivering dreams, politicians now promise to protect us: from nightmares. They say that they will rescue us from dreadful dangers that we cannot see and do not understand. And the greatest danger of all is international terrorism, a powerful and sinister network with sleeper cells in countries across the world, a threat that needs to be fought by a War on Terror. But much of this threat is a fantasy, which has been exaggerated and distorted by politicians. It's a dark illusion that has spread unquestioned through governments around the world, the security services and the international media. This is a series of films about how and why that fantasy was created, and who it benefits. At the heart of the story are two groups: the American neo-conservatives and the radical Islamists. Both were idealists who were born out of the failure of the liberal dream to build a better world, and both had a very similar explanation of what caused that failure. These two groups have changed the world, but not in the way that either intended. Together, they created today's nightmare vision of a secret organized evil that threatens the world, a fantasy that politicians then found restored their power and authority in a disillusioned age. And those with the darkest fears became the most powerful."

Anything by him really apart from the most recent documentary All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace where he overstretched himself a bit. Most of it's on Youtube (he has a BBC blog which is also excellent).
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #33 on: Saturday, October 20, 2012, 18:54:04 »

i find man on wire quite interesting, the french guy is quite funny/weird

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, October 20, 2012, 19:02:13 »

i find man on wire quite interesting, the french guy is quite funny/weird

Man On Wire is brilliant, Philippe Petit is engaging and interesting, but mostly nuts. Not a big documentary type, but I have this on Blueray after seeing this on BBC.

Was just checking back through the thread to see if had been mentioned when you posted it,.
Flashheart

« Reply #35 on: Saturday, October 20, 2012, 19:04:56 »

Power of Nightmares, Adam Curtis.

A great watch.

Enthralling, a tad scary. Yet very DailyMailtatsic.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 01:21:08 »

Some very good suggestions. Quite fancy watching this one when I get a spare hour-

Watch this and hesitate or a moment about twitter remarks

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 22:01:52 »

You've been trumped which is on bbc2 now. Shocking stuff and a disgrace
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 22:12:47 »

I watched one on bb2 earlier about Asians being kicked out of Uganda in the 1970s and coming to the uk.  I may find this more interesting than most as my dad was one of those thrown out the country.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 16:32:27 »

How Britain Worked started last night, first episode of a series where he takes on six restoration projects from the Industrial Revolution.

Worth watching if you can put up Guy Martin's annoying fucking voice.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-britain-worked
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 05:16:52 by Ginginho » Logged
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 10:41:36 »

I watched one on bb2 earlier about Asians being kicked out of Uganda in the 1970s and coming to the uk.  I may find this more interesting than most as my dad was one of those thrown out the country.

Many came to Leicester (despite some shameful attempts by the City Council to try to put them off), moved into an area that was due to be demolished as no-one would live there and sorted it out.  It's now our Golden Mile, with a load of curry houses and the biggest Divali celebrations outside of India.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, October 26, 2012, 18:31:42 »

Now watching heroes of the skies on channel 5, good stuff about Gabby Gabreski a USA pilot flying spitfires in WW2 .
Fr Jack Hackett

« Reply #42 on: Friday, October 26, 2012, 18:40:16 »

I'm making a 2 minute long documentary  'Paul Hart - the early years'  for insomniacs
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, October 26, 2012, 18:50:00 »

I'm making a 2 minute long documentary  'Paul Hart - the early years'  for insomniacs
You could reduce that to 1 minute, "Paul Hart at the County Ground"
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Saturday, October 27, 2012, 21:34:54 »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: