Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town Vs Coventry Official Matchday Thread.  (Read 35105 times)
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 17:28:08 »

An interesting afternoon at The CG, as I don't think we played badly to warrent a 2-0 h/t deficit, that being said we conceeded from 2 set pieces. It was interesting watching the free kick for the delivery that led to the goal as whoever was taking it for Cov was about to before Robins stopped him, obviously pointed something out and then presto we were 1-0 down. Is this something in our set up of near post free kicks that has been picked up on by the opposition?

Anyway fast forward to the last 20 minutes we played with grit and determination...Collins was up for it as soon as he came on and to get back to 2-2 was no more than we deserved, just not sure why it took us 70 minutes to wake up and take the game to them on the front foot and attack! The change in system saw us have more of the ball and is probably why.

About time Bostock got on, he didn't do anything wrong and I was impressed with him just not sure Benson was the right link up in front of him, perhaps someone with more pace like Collins or physicalness like Rooney maybe better suited.

If PdC is crying out for a top striker then why doesn't he have a look at David McGoldrick in January* (if we are out of the embargo) apparently out of contract at Forest in the Summer and potentially one to look at, Scoring goals for fun at the moment!

Onwards to next week and the returns of a certian Leon Clarke and David Prutton (and Callum Kennedy)...C.O.Y.R!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Flashheart

« Reply #166 on: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 17:29:34 »

I think that PDC's point about Benson is that he was what we needed last year. He  is a good solid professional and a good striker at L2 level. However, he isn't a top level striker at L1, unlike some of the players we have come up against in L1 e.g McGoldrick has Championship experience and is a much more clinical finisher. Its not just PDC that thinks that Benson doesn't cut it at the top end of L1, but obviously Charlton did too, which is why he didn't get a look in there.

PDC's message was that if the board want to look to move the club into the Championship, we are going to have to upgrade some of the remaining players, as they are not good enough to take us up.

As for signing a quality striker, I think that PDC's answer is that he has - Williams. However, with Williams out for a month then our 'bit part players' aren't capable of filling the gap. If we want to maintain a challenge for the next month then we need an adequate replacement. Furthermore, I think that PDC's thinking is that if we are planning on going up, we need to build for next year, so that we can maintain a place in the Championship.

It appears that it is in the board's hands to be able to lift the embargo - Many on here have suggested that one of the money men at the club could potentially put money in e.g Betfair sponsorship perhaps. I think PDC is wanting to know if that is going to happen or not.

I think his final point was that, if the board say that they dont want to invest more, then PDC will stop working on identifying players for a Championship push. He will change the way that he manages the team and possibly play a different style or develop the players in a different way.

His poor English and Italian passion make him sound more of a loon than he really is methinks!

Yes

I think I have an advantage with this stuff in knowing that sometimes with non-native English speakers you have to consider and analyse what they are trying to say rather than reacting to what it sounds like they have said.

Remember the 'fall out' with the board over Tehoue gate last season?

I have some 15 years experience in speaking with people that can't convey their thoughts clearly, most Swindon fans have a season and a bit.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 17:30:25 »

Good game. Coventry only had two chances, both from set pieces, and scored them both. We could have been out of sight another day.

Roberts played well, as did the two strikers when they came on. People bemoaned taking Ritchie off but, given the tactical switch it actually made sense and was refreshing to see (said with hindsight).

Talking of tactics, was refreshing to see PDC mix it up during the game today. 4-4-1-1 wasn't really working, but we looked more threatening with the diamond, and it worked. Though that did co-incide with the coventry player being stretchered off, so I'm not sure what had the greater impact. We should probably knock out one opposition player per match, just to be sure.

I think I can kind of understand where PDC is coming from RE Benson, but I think his flick-ons were very clever today, and he was unfortunate to not have people running on to them. Didn't think Bostock did anything particularly bad, but nothing brillipants either. Given the way the game was going PDC was right to take them off.

Mceverly had one of his wank days, and was probably to blame for both cov goals. I think it was his man for the first, and fuck knows what he was doing for the second. Trying to head away a ball that was at his shins. Thompson on the other flank impressed. CB's did alright.

Miller and Ferry were a bit wanting in the 1st half, but the introduction of Navarro really gave them license to get forward.

Ref was laughably bad. Flint and Mcgoldrick had a kerfuffle, and the ref carded a different coventry player. The player he carded was white, Mcgoldrick is black. Confusing.

Some of our fans response's at times today was laughable. Even at 2-0 down we were never out of it - Coventry created bugger all and we were undone by two set pieces. Pay your money and do what you want, but I can't really understand why someone would give up on that game so easily.

Edit - Wow, that's horrible to read. Bit of a mind dump.
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 17:33:20 by Bogus Dave » Logged

Things get better but they never get good
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 17:32:37 »

Noted for prosterity
Di Canio still has to be at the club though Wink
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 17:35:53 »

Well what a game!!  Would have taken a point at half-time, but at the end I was disappointed not to go on and get the winner!!  'Keeper should have been sent off early in the game, not only did he punch the ball about a metre outside the area, but in his follow-through clattered Benson and then stuck an elbow in!  The guy who kicked Flint should also have been red-carded, not seen by the ref but spotted by the lino, just a yellow.  To balance the books McCelvely could easily have walked as well, having previously been yellowcarded he commited - in my opinion - a tackle well worthy of another!!  Didn't like the way their guys lay down at the slightest opportunity - the ref didn't fall for it all the time though.  But we got a point we didn't look like getting after 70 minutes or so.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 17:37:55 »

Just don't get me started on the soft free kicks we give away - that lead to two goals!!  When will we learn?
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 17:51:25 »

At the end of the interview today, Chris Wise said to Paolo something about "well done today especially with your personal difficulties this week", or words to that effect. Any ideas? Has his Doberman carked it?
Flashheart

« Reply #172 on: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 17:52:58 »

At the end of the interview today, Chris Wise said to Paolo something about "well done today especially with your personal difficulties this week", or words to that effect. Any ideas? Has his Doberman carked it?

Perhaps he meant personnel.

I.E. injuries
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 17:58:29 »

We've been taught a lesson today. In football and support, sadly
Absolute rubbish. Any teams support would be singing when 2.0 up away from home. Didn't hear much from them when we started to fight back. As to the actual football, we made it hard for ourselves but we still had more of the ball than them and were unlucky to be 2 goals down.

It's All Good..............
Flashheart

« Reply #174 on: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 18:02:08 »

Absolute rubbish. Any teams support would be singing when 2.0 up away from home. Didn't hear much from them when we started to fight back. As to the actual football, we made it hard for ourselves but we still had more of the ball than them and were unlucky to be 2 goals down.

We're you there Herthab? (Genuine question)
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 18:09:11 »

he was, i was sat infront of him

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 18:09:57 »

We're you there Herthab? (Genuine question)
If he wasn't, he's got an extremely vivid imagination Roll Eyes
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 18:10:38 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19854844

Was Robins watching a different game to me?

"In the first half we were in total control."
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 18:11:21 »

I note we're sixth, that marks real progress for us and personally a top half finish/play off challenge would be an achievement this season.

Paolo pisses me off something chronic with his interviews and I wish the club could try and tone him down a bit as he really doesn't have anything to bitch about!
Flashheart

« Reply #179 on: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 18:11:28 »

he was, i was sat infront of him

We're you there?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: