Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Turf  (Read 13748 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 12:36:30 »

I paid £35 for 4 bags of top soil and 5 rolls of turf from B&Q.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 12:42:36 »

Ignore me!  Decent quality turf is about £1.60/m2...so you'll get your lawn done for a lot less than what I quoted.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 12:44:15 by Ardiles » Logged
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 12:44:30 »

He said 30m2, not 300m2 Wink
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 12:46:28 »

Embarrassed
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 13:03:59 »

Whenever I needed turf I used Blackfords, never had a problem! However, as regards what you are laying it on top of, unless you get every bit of flint/gravel out it may well work its way through the turf meaning you will be forever picking it up or buying new lawnmower blades!!  Get up what you can, inc. cat shit etc., put a couple of inches of good quality topsoil down, roll it well to make a firm base, a very gentle rake and lay your turf.  Yes, it grows faster during spring/summer but provided you do not lay it on a frozen surface you should be ok. 
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 13:06:12 »

Firstly, now is about as late as you want to leave it - any later the first frost will kill the roots and you'll end up with a patch of mud.

You'll need to dig and rake over the existing soil before you put down the top soil other wise the roots will struggle to take hold and simply spread out through the new top soil... if you don't it'll look fine to start with but when you get an ounce of warm weather it'll just end up going brown and dying.

Also when you lay it make sure you over lap the edges by 2" then fold them into each other to allow for shrinkage... Water the lawn at least once a day when it doesn't rain for the first 2 weeks (unless frost is forecast)

Hope that helps...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 13:16:32 »

Thanks for the advice.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 13:27:11 »

Someone once told me the best time to put grass seed down is in a month with a P in it, September, April. Would this be the same for Turf MacPhlea? Or is that wrong?
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 13:43:29 »

Macphlea forgot one important instruction when laying turf - Green side up!
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 13:59:15 »

Someone once told me the best time to put grass seed down is in a month with a P in it, September, April. Would this be the same for Turf MacPhlea? Or is that wrong?
This is mainly because there is generally less chance of the grass being killed by drought or frost and the months when rain fall is generally higher... October is pushing it as there is a higher risk of frost.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 14:12:33 »

Just been quoted £75 for collection
left back

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 15:01:11 »

you can lay turf at just about any time of the year, obviously avoid extreme weather like frost or when its really hot/dry. normally between 7-10 days and it should start to root. if you get it down now it will have time to root before the cold weather kicks in and then it will be stronger after the winter. if you can get your hands on it get some fertilizer called pre-sow/pre-seed and put this on the top soil before laying the turf, will help get it going a bit quicker.
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 15:05:31 »

you can lay turf at just about any time of the year, obviously avoid extreme weather like frost or when its really hot/dry. normally between 7-10 days and it should start to root. if you get it down now it will have time to root before the cold weather kicks in and then it will be stronger after the winter. if you can get your hands on it get some fertilizer called pre-sow/pre-seed and put this on the top soil before laying the turf, will help get it going a bit quicker.

The strangest first post ever?

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 15:21:17 »

Thanks Titch  Smiley
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 15:43:51 »

Macphlea forgot one important instruction when laying turf - Green side up!
You've just killed 4D's opportunity to start a separate "which way up should I lay turf?" thread Wink

Of course, if you're building a high sided bunker you lay the turf upside down...
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 15:46:48 by @MacPhlea » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: