Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is There A Recession On?  (Read 2784 times)
kerry red

« on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 12:30:24 »

With a seemingly Europe-wide recession (melt down even) occurring at the moment, how to so many people manage to afford all these foreign sporting jaunts?

The crowds at the Euros, a great Euro following at the Ryder Cup and a good smattering of England fans in Sri Lanka for the cricket.

Recession? What recession!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 12:37:49 »

Not sure I follow. There will always be rich people, and people who prosper because of the recession. And people who are European that live in the States.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 12:39:20 »

Have we had two successive quarters of negative growth in GDP? Yes.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 12:40:05 »

Recession.  Five years on from the credit crunch...it's the new normal.

It is different.  Almost everyone is cutting back.  But most probably don't even realise that they're doing it.  We're getting back to where we were when most of our grandparents were alive.  In some ways, it's more positive.  And it's also nice not to have every 3rd advert on TV trying to get you to take out a loan you don't need.
kerry red

« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 12:43:58 »

Not sure I follow. There will always be rich people, and people who prosper because of the recession. And people who are European that live in the States.

Well, put it this way. Things are mega bad here in Ireland, unemployment at 14%, emigration of young people turning into a flood, yet the Irish managed probably the biggest away support at the Euros.

You are probably right in the amount of ex-pats living in USA, but I can't imagine too many live in Sri Lanka.

I suppose it just seems to highlight the divide between those with and those without
ScillyRed

« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 13:05:29 »

The Eurozone is in meltdown and they have recently given our Council £5 million to tart up one of the promenade areas, which will not bring a single extra person here & probably put many off due to the extensive building works through the summer. Perhaps this is why the Eurozone is in meltdown.......... Sad
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 13:59:05 »

Lazy cunts replying in the daytime to this forum aren't exactly contributing to a tiger economy, are they?
kerry red

« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 14:07:14 »

This lazy cunt managed to retire at 47 after working my bollocks off for years.
ScillyRed

« Reply #8 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 14:22:31 »

And I did the same at 52 - I have done my bit - keep working to pay my pension please  Pint
kerry red

« Reply #9 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 14:29:14 »

Heh, heh!!
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 14:37:41 »

I'm a student. Cheesy

kerry red

« Reply #11 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 14:44:04 »

Surprised you're sober enough to post!!
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 14:47:59 »

Surprised you're sober enough to post!!

Waiting for a mate to finish his lecture, figured drinking alone at 3pm wouldn't be the greatest idea.

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 15:07:03 »

And I did the same at 52 - I have done my bit - keep working to pay my pension please  Pint

I know that's a light hearted comment - but a few things...

• In recent times, there has never been a generation as comprehensively screwed in economic terms as Suggs'.  When he leaves university, he's going to have a real job on his hands (no pun intended) to find a job...principally because his is the generation that is bearing most of the pain of the recession.  Companies find it much easier and cheaper to not take on new staff than they do to fire existing staff.  So it's the younger generation that suffers.
  • If/when he finally does get a job, he will indeed have to work for years to get a pension worth having.  Probably well in to his 70s.  And part of the reason he'll have to work for that long is that the present generation of retirees have been promised pension benefits that the country can't really afford.

I don't doubt that you chaps have worked hard and have earned some down time.  But in a very short space of time, the idea that anyone - bar the wealthy - is going to be able to retire before their 65th birthday is going to seem very far fetched.

Government pension commitments are unfunded...and when the penny drops among the general population, and the man on the street realises that he isn't going to have either the length or the quality of retirement that his parents had - then there's going to be a very ugly inter-generational flare up.  History is going to judge the baby boomers very harshly.  Collectively, they have lived very well - and then sent the bill for their own kids to pick up at a future date.
kerry red

« Reply #14 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 15:12:39 »

And it's us baby boomers who are going to snuff it and hand a decent inheritance on to the young - not in all cases, certainly, but with the house buying frenzy over the past decade or 2 it's the children of the baby boom that are going to benefit.

and to be fair, whatever happens it's down to government not a generation of oldies
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: