Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 54   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Winter Cricket Thread  (Read 87781 times)
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #555 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2012, 21:34:15 »

It's a shame Tremlett isn't fit (I know he ian't there at all..). His height makes him a natural alternative to Finn, albeit without the same pace. Whilst Onions' style is (to me) best suited to English conditions, I'd still favour him over Bresnan. We cant go in with Patel and Bresnan - two players who are six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I always struggle with picking bowlers on their marginal batting ability. Granted, Bresnan has a test match ton v India behind him, but you always have to pick a bowler on the basis of bowling alone. Bresnan can balance the side as a third seamer without creating a long tail, but he simply hasn't got the threat or variety needed to be part of a two man seam attack. Onions does.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2012, 21:52:48 »

Since Bresnan went public and announced on live TV that he thought Bairstow was as good if not better than K Peterson his form has dipped alarmingly with bat and ball.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2012, 22:20:45 »

It's a shame Tremlett isn't fit (I know he ian't there at all..). His height makes him a natural alternative to Finn, albeit without the same pace. Whilst Onions' style is (to me) best suited to English conditions, I'd still favour him over Bresnan. We cant go in with Patel and Bresnan - two players who are six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I always struggle with picking bowlers on their marginal batting ability. Granted, Bresnan has a test match ton v India behind him, but you always have to pick a bowler on the basis of bowling alone. Bresnan can balance the side as a third seamer without creating a long tail, but he simply hasn't got the threat or variety needed to be part of a two man seam attack. Onions does.

I know you can read a lot of shit into stats but Bres' bowling average ain't too shoddy at 31 compared to Onions' 29 and a bit. Bres has played more tests and therefore overseas in not always seaming conditions. To say he'd only be picked because he can bat better is probably doing him a bit of a dis service. The boy can bowl, just had one bad test match.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #558 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2012, 22:26:31 »

Does this start in a few hours.  Im driving home from Newcastle and may catch the start of it.  Which would be nice.

Never knowingly overstated.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #559 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2012, 22:27:26 »

begins at 4am
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #560 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2012, 22:35:16 »

God I hope Im home by then. 

Never knowingly overstated.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 01:13:29 »

Rumour is that Root may debut in place of Patel. I'd quite like to see it.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #562 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 03:37:37 »

If you're noticing a fairly chilly breeze emanating from Hell this morning, you'll be unsurprised to hear that Cook has won a toss and we're batting.

Root for Patel, Bresnan for Finn.

Indians pick Jadeja for Singh and Chawla for Singh. They are playing Ishant fucking Sharma as their only quick- I can only imagine this pitch is going to turn miles.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 07:28:32 »

100/2 off 45 overs.  Proper old fashioned test cricket.  Make a hatful in the first innings as the second will be tough.
kerry red

« Reply #564 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 08:25:11 »

Are we batting for a draw already

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 08:29:42 »

Another for the Ian Bell dopey dismissal collection.

Advantage India and pressure on Root on debut.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #566 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 08:33:46 »

Oh Ian. He just can't bat on the subcontinent, I'm happy to see him in the team anywhere else on earth but just not on tour here again, ever.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 08:42:14 »

Are we batting for a draw already

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

If we are we're not doing a great job of it. You don't really understand TEST cricket do you KR?!
kerry red

« Reply #568 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 09:27:23 »

Don't try and make it more cerebral then it is.

England are too timid - they couldn't have been any worse off if they'd played to their normal tempo.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #569 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 09:46:26 »

Don't try and make it more cerebral then it is.

England are too timid - they couldn't have been any worse off if they'd played to their normal tempo.

They're attempting to play to the conditions. Something which they've ALWAYS been criticised for NOT doing on the sub continent. I do say attempting mind, failing admittedly in some cases.

At the risk of being seen to make excuses, Cookie got a shocker, and the way he's been playing may well have been still there. Everything in the garden would have been rosey then.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 54   Go Up
Print
Jump to: