Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 54   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Winter Cricket Thread  (Read 87733 times)
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #525 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 08:21:21 »

A day of two halves, with another one to come. One more wicket and we're into their (dare I say it) weak tail.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #526 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 11:10:24 »

You know it's been a good day when I'm annoyed at the end of it because we haven't won by an innings within four days.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #527 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 11:13:18 »

A good day again for England, hope we pick that last wicket up early doors and are chasing less than 50 tomorrow!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 11:45:58 »

Would have been nice to wrap it up today! Still, I would have taken this position at start of play today. In fact, if we don't win it from here we want shooting.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #529 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 11:56:56 »

hope Ashwin gets his 100 and we can knock off 50 within the first session.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #530 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 11:58:14 »

Ashwin has a better average than every Indian batsman bar Pujara in this Series, and a better Test average than the three batsmen above him. Decent #8.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #531 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 12:49:30 »

I'm extremely disapointed by the lack of fight exhibited by the Indian team.  Ashwin showed this is still in reality a very decent track to bat on so god knows what the top 7 were up to.   Too many out of form and living on past glories.

The problem with India is the growth of the IPL and the failure of kids coming into the team to be able to adapt to playing a longer more sensible innings.  I reckon the current crop will get the 4th test and then we will see changes with the likes of Ajinka Rahane and Rohit Sharma given a chance, probably at the expense of the likes of Ghambir, Yuvraj.

This is where England and the ECB have done very well, by limiting the amount of T20 played by the top test players.  Finn has made a major difference with his extra pace and height and has put a real question mark over the hell Broad was doing for the first two tests bowling at 80% pace with no aggresion or venom.

This might be a bit early but Finn will go on to break Beefy's test match wicket record and put a fair few on top.  I only hope for his sake he manages to avoid being seduced by an IPL team as plenty would love a up front fast aggressive strike bowler like him.

Expect a proper turner in Nagpur which is unlikely to get close to going to 5 days.

England will win within 45 mins tomorrow. 
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #532 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 12:54:11 »

See, blaming the IPL is very fashionable but I don't think it's actually that fair. The issues with the Indian team seem to be mostly around the older players, who can't field for shit and can barely bat or bowl. I guess you can say that there aren't the replacements there but Pujara has done well and Kohli is worth persisting with. Rahane impressed me when he played in England too, so there's a bit of talent there.

The main "IPL issue" for me is the fact that it seems to have elevated Dhoni to minor deity status, which is unfortunate as he's a shit keeper, poor captain and only a middling bat.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #533 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 13:44:18 »

Ashwin has a better average than every Indian batsman bar Pujara in this Series, and a better Test average than the three batsmen above him. Decent #8.
watching him bat earlier, I genuinely forgot he was a number 8 - looked solid. It did amuse me when he grumbled about the light to the umpires then middled the next shot!
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 18:12:46 »

watching him bat earlier, I genuinely forgot he was a number 8 - looked solid. It did amuse me when he grumbled about the light to the umpires then middled the next shot!

Reminded me of Sourav Ganguly whenever he was batting well, getting close to the end and it was getting dark! Loved a good blink to let the umpires know he couldn't see the ball!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #535 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 19:10:40 »

The whole light issue has always been a bit of a farce. To moan about the light then smack the next ball for 4 just highlights this. Ashwin was obviously in the zone with sterling support from his number 11. Why the hell would you want to go off? Come back in the morning and its a different ball game sometimes. Look at Prior and Swanny this morning.
DMR

« Reply #536 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 20:38:45 »

Don't buy the IPL argument or the notion that India lack fight.

We're just a better side
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #537 on: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 04:46:10 »

Bit of hard work chasing 41 but all wrapped up by 7 wickets and 2-1 up. Brilliant.

Edit: Bumble's tweeted "Start the Tuk-Tuk" Cheesy

Edit2: Brave statements from an Indian journo on Cricinfo:

One of these days, India will admit they have become an ordinary side. That currently they are arguably the worst bowling unit in the world, bar Bangladesh. That they are the worst fielding side in the world without any argument, which they kept on proving on the third day as Ishant Sharma dropped his third simple return catch in the fourth match he is playing this year. That the whitewashes in England and Australia didn't happen on doctored green tops. That a proud home record alone doesn't ensure future Test wins. That the ideal response to overseas batting failures is to work on techniques, and not to seek comfort in statistics at home. That no side won an away series with that kind of attitude.

When India admit that, they will start improving as a Test side. Until then, they can hope for a miracle to the tune of Kolkata 2000-01.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 07:02:08 by Nemo » Logged
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #538 on: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 09:53:32 »

Don't buy the IPL argument or the notion that India lack fight.

We're just a better side

Spot on.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #539 on: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 10:47:32 »

Great win and 2-1 up  Cheesy At 8-3 I had visions of Pakistan in the UAE last year, only worse but we got over the line with ease in the end!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 54   Go Up
Print
Jump to: