Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 54   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Winter Cricket Thread  (Read 87705 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 05:50:19 »

Just turned over to find out that we're 3 down and KP got out cheaply to Ohja. Strike me down with a feather.

As daft as it sounds, he might be better off taking guard as a leftie, his switch hit is good enough.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 05:52:23 by Nemo » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 07:16:32 »

Go back to bed England, Samit's got a second horrible lbw decision.

The Umpires have been almost as bad as us in this one.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 09:16:49 »

Prior gets his fifty.
dphunt88

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 09:38:55 »

Cook to make 150+ here now! Captain's innings required

I called it didn't I... Great effort from Cook and Prior. Always maintained that Prior is good enough to bat 5 in test cricket.

Keep it up lads!

Enthusiastic Loathed Strangers Podcast contributor.
Local media whore.
Ernie Hunt's second cousin, honest!
Overweight local cricket all-rounder!
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 10:45:21 »

I am, but I'm watching the UFC first.

Can I say something mildly controversial and say that I don't think Monty is a match winner on the subcontinent (or anywhere outside the UK)?

The balance of the side for the subcontinent is wrong, I agree, and I'd only play a third seamer if Finn was available but I'd rather have Finn-Broad-Anderson-Swann than Broad-Anderson-Panesar-Swann. Dropping Broad isn't really something the selectors seem likely to do. Just don't think Monty is that good- decent enough sure, but the Indians play spin brilliantly (compared to us) and I think he'd just milked for 3 an over without much threat.

Of course you can say it Nemo. Just think in this test and by the sounds of it, all the tests we need 2 frontline spinners in these conditions. Wasn't really building Monty up as a match winner but the selectoirs have picked him in the squad so he has to be the man for the job. playing an extra spinner will benefit Swanny too i reckon.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 11:02:09 »

340-5 at stumps with a lead of 10, definitely take that!

setting my alarm for 5 tomorrow...
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 11:22:01 »

Fantastic from Cook, would definitely have taken that position at the start of the day. Massive credit too to Prior who seems to have taken over from Colly as the guy that steps up when you desperately need someone to step up (Aka the Anti-Bell).

Incredibly Cook is already up there in the running for the most centuries by an English batsman ever. That man is going to break every (England) record in the book before he calls it quits you'd think.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 11:34:53 »

Cracking effort from Captain Cook, can we save the test match? Prior also outstanding and once again showing why he's the best wicket keeper batsman in the world right now!

#VivaKenBarlow!
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 12:35:23 »

An exhibition in concentration, watching the ball and playing late.  Undoubtably helped by the pitch had got lower and slower and not really broke up.

Cook is going to be a captain who leads from the front with his batting ala Strauss, he isnt ever going to be a tactical genuis like Vaughan.

Good to see Trott and Bell getting a start and a shame neither went on but at least both were got out rather thangiving it away.  Samit got a stinker for the second innings running.  Prior played a gem.  That brings me onto KP .... I'll just move on .....

England will have to bat for the best part of two sessions to save it tomorrow and I reckon Cook/Prior will have to go to lunch.  Its not turning massively but men around the bat and pressure of the situation will make it tricky for the tail.

I am leaving for Mumbai on Tuesday and cant wait :-)

England will be already considering the make up of the bowling attack.  Most likely they will bring in Panesar for Bresnan, but it shouldnt have gone unnoticed that the one seamer who has looked remotely threatening is Yadav with his extra pace.  If they were to be uber-aggresive they could also bring in Finn instead of Broad but then they would have a serious tail. 

The four tests are all back to back so if Finn does play it will have to be off the back of what he does in the nets.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 12:36:57 »

Finn would have started if he was fit, I'd be very surprised if he's fit and doesn't come in for Bresnan.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 12:43:17 »

Finn would have started if he was fit, I'd be very surprised if he's fit and doesn't come in for Bresnan.

Who you leaving out for Monty?  Or you sticking with the 3 seamers and 2 spinners option?
red sheldon

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 12:45:47 »

at least one of the current two need to make it to lunch, england have a good lower order batting line up, but they will need someone to play round and take the pressure of scoring the runs off.   Its amazing how often batsmen get out early the next day after a good score

it will be interesting to see how attacking India are with their field placements tomorrow as if England could get a lead of 150 with 40 overs left it would make an interesting 4th innings chase for India.

I may have to get up at 4.00 to see how we get on, although if theres 2 quick wickets i'll go back to bed

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 12:59:56 »

Who you leaving out for Monty?  Or you sticking with the 3 seamers and 2 spinners option?

See my earlier thoughts on Monty. I'd play Finn ahead of him. For what it's worth, I'd probably have played him in this Test over Bresnan, but I think Finn is more of a threat even on the subcontinent.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 16:52:49 »

I think 3 seamers are a complete waste of time.  FWIW, I would want Finn and Monty, but that would involve taking a massive risk and leaving out Bresnan and Broad.

Inspite of whats happened over the last day and a half there is no way England will trust there batting enough to do that.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 17:42:40 »

I have notice thar the BCCI have been making friends an influencing people.

I did read a month ago that they asked Sky for an extra £500k and the BBC £50k to be able to commentate from the stadium. Both initially refused, but a few weeks ago BBC came to some sort of agreement, and that is why TMS is on. Sky are commentating from West London from the picture feed.

Also noticed that no photos have appreared from the first test. On BBC this is the reason given :

We are using archive pictures for this Test because several photo agencies, including Getty Images, have been barred from the ground following a dispute with the Board of Control for Cricket in India, while other agencies have withdrawn their photographers in protest.

Looks like the money grabbers at the BCCI are trying to do what the Southampton chairman tried to do a few years ago. Time for a paper to do a Subbuteo themed photos again ?!!

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 54   Go Up
Print
Jump to: