Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 54   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Winter Cricket Thread  (Read 87767 times)
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 08:59:10 »

at least 2 of the top 7 showed the application required.

I'd add Patel to that list.  He middled everything prior to being sawn off.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 09:12:07 »

As much as that worked, I'd quite like Compton to put the reverse sweep away.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 11:19:19 »

Ok .... Who thought at lunch the game would be over by now?

Well played Cook and Compton.  Helped by calm batting and a pitch that became very friendly to bat on by stumps.  Roller in it tomorrow and a ball 40 overs old should mean more application like we saw from the openers will see England have a chance if saving this.

Massive opening session tomorrow. India now 1/3 and the draw is 11/4.  At the start of the second innings India were 1/20!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 15:24:06 »

Yep, much better second innings, get yourself in sensibly and it becomes much easier to bat, Pujara showed that. Glad to see Compton getting some overs in, think he's a long term opening prospect with Cook especially outside India as those two can definitely see of a new ball and shield the middle order who make a lot of hay when the going in good but don't exactly fill me with confidence if they're in too early. First England session of the Test.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 17:45:04 »

Apologies for my lack of posts last night on the thread, really couldn't believe what I was seeing...well I could but we just have not learned. How the hell we were bowled out for 191 on a flat deck is beyond me, and (so far) the 2nd innings just shows that we did not apply ourselves batting wise. IF and it's a massive IF we can bat all day on day 4 without losing 4 wickets then I think we could sneak a draw. Big odds on India and at this stage I can see it being 4-0!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 18:17:07 »

If we save this test it will be amazing. Today's batting is a good start though but they're still deservedly odds on.

Don't think we'll lose 4-0 though. We'll get Monty in at some pint and win a toss at some point. Both of which will definitely help.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 19:02:10 »

ICC should enforce DRS worldwide. Ridiculous India can pick and choose.

Just fixed it for you.

It only India that objects to DRS. Hotspot is not used in some countries due to the cost. I'm sure the ICC could put their hands in their pockets though.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 19:18:54 »

ICC are scared of India though. Need to develop some backbone and force it on them or get rid of it completely.

Understand the cost but cricket's never really been a paupers game has it. Like you say, get their hands in their pockets.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 19:36:17 »

Not so sure, i reckon we would have been all out for 90 odd if the LBW decisions were looked at.
To be fair we got the rub of the green and i reckon it was really refreshing to go back to the old days of umpire says all.
A few dodgy decisions yes.....when is that ridiculous law of not pitching in line going to be chucked out....if it hits your pads bang in line then cheerio i reckon.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 19:41:49 »

Wasn't using the lack of DRS as an excuse for our inept batting. Just think its mental the rules are effectively different from one series to the next.

The irony of Dhoni giving Alim Dar a lot of stick when he had turned an appeal down was not lost on me.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 20:12:36 »

I thought Hotspot couldn't be used in the subcontinent because it was too hot, so marks wouldn't show up

Things get better but they never get good
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 21:04:43 »

If we save this test it will be amazing. Today's batting is a good start though but they're still deservedly odds on.

Don't think we'll lose 4-0 though. We'll get Monty in at some pint and win a toss at some point. Both of which will definitely help.

Bringing Monty in will make a difference.  It will mean the English and Indian spinners will be virtually on a par the difference is then the fact I would back 99 times out of 100 the Indian batsmen over the English.

But I also am tempted by a cheeky few quid on England to escape Ahmedabad with a draw.  Certainly the pitch looked to have lost some bite and with the ball now 40 overs old the hardness and gone and didn't seem to be spinning as sharply.  The top 3 need to go deep though.

With how outrageously hideous Bells dismissal was, KP's skittish knock seems to have gone user the radar.  He will no doubt claim he was playing his natural game but some of his attempts to play against the spin were going to come undone sooner than later.  Cook and Compton showed how you have to play ... Rotate the strike, use the crease and for the name of god don't play against the spin and only drive the ball that is criminally full.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 21:17:59 »

Agree with most of that FCB. Still don't think we'll lose 4-0 though.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 04:08:08 »

Morning. Anyone up?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 04:59:14 »

I am, but I'm watching the UFC first.

Can I say something mildly controversial and say that I don't think Monty is a match winner on the subcontinent (or anywhere outside the UK)?

The balance of the side for the subcontinent is wrong, I agree, and I'd only play a third seamer if Finn was available but I'd rather have Finn-Broad-Anderson-Swann than Broad-Anderson-Panesar-Swann. Dropping Broad isn't really something the selectors seem likely to do. Just don't think Monty is that good- decent enough sure, but the Indians play spin brilliantly (compared to us) and I think he'd just milked for 3 an over without much threat.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 54   Go Up
Print
Jump to: