Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 54   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Winter Cricket Thread  (Read 87698 times)
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 11:37:58 »

Captain Cook blasts 112 not out this morning with Samit on 80 odd not out as well!

#VivaKenBarlow!
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 11:48:31 »

Samit at 6 in the tests then.  I dont have much of a problem with his batting certainly in the subcontinent as he plays spin as well as any other English batsmen, I just dont think his bowling will provide much in the way of penetration.

Chosing Compton to open instead of Root is interesting as Root opens at county level, whereas Compton ats at 3.

In the next 2 warm up games they will need to give Bairstow/Morgan a hit as one of them will play in the second test when Bell goes home.
DMR

« Reply #197 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 11:51:28 »

Compton > Root
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 12:41:01 »

Compton > Root

Compton is a Somerset man, enough said.

There are many who would claim Dennis his grandfather as Engalnd's finest post war batsman, so not much to live up to. Dennis was a bit before my time, but do recall him turning out for the International Caveliers, along with the likes of Godfrey Evans.

The Caveliers, were a pick up team, suppose a bit like rugby's Barbarians, who played one dayers on a Sunday afternoon v the Counties, before the Sunday League, came into being.

The fledgling BBC 2 picked it up, and it was winner....John Arlott doing commentary, and a chance to see legends like Sir Garfield, Compton, Evans and Graeme Pollock.

By then Dennis was a big old boy, as he clearly liked a drink or ten...but some serious young West Indian talent like Keith Boyce and John Shepeherd, were given a go. The Caveliers success, led to the Sunday League and counties opening up the game to more overseas players...and possibly a golden age, when all counties could field serious imports for the whole summer before the current explosion of pointless one dayers and tests, means the imports only ever play a handfull of games.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Friday, November 2, 2012, 12:49:50 »

Caveliers Reg?, presumably from their tussles with the Rindheads?   Or am I missing somethng?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Friday, November 2, 2012, 14:07:01 »

Seems like majority of our batsman hit runs in the warm up game, so a steady start to the tour!

Fitness concerns over Finn would probably mean bringing Bresnan in for the 1st test if Finn is unfit, who took 3 wickets I believe?!

#VivaKenBarlow!
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Friday, November 2, 2012, 15:00:55 »

Seems like majority of our batsman hit runs in the warm up game, so a steady start to the tour!

Fitness concerns over Finn would probably mean bringing Bresnan in for the 1st test if Finn is unfit, who took 3 wickets I believe?!

Think your about right Major.  2 more warm up games to go and in the next I expect the likes of Root/Panesar/Bairstow/Morgan/Onions to get a game before the third one in which I expect the test team to return.

Big game for Bairstow/Morgan as one of them will play instead of Bell in the second test, so its up for grabs there.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Friday, November 2, 2012, 15:12:50 »

Bairstow struggling as well FCB, although he looks as though he's been declared fit to play in the next game! India A didn't have a bad side out either the other day, so it will be interesting what other make up teams we'll play before the 1st test.

#VivaKenBarlow!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Saturday, November 3, 2012, 09:10:31 »

Looking forward to this series,should be a cracker.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Saturday, November 3, 2012, 22:53:58 »

Excellent hundred for Bairstow in the warm up game. Runs also for Morgan and Samit.  Bairstow could put pressure on Bell who failed again.

Also, Stuart Meaker being flown out as cover for Steven Finn.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 18:48:31 »

Sounds like it FCB, I like Jonny Bairstow and with Bell unavailable for the 2nd test/lack of runs in the warm up...is his head in the game with his missus being pregnant, so I would back Bairstow to bat 5 if Bell doesn't get selected/fails again this week to be in the side for the 1st test. That being said Morgan scored runs, and I think Patel is a given to bat 6/2nd spinner in the 1st test now!

#VivaKenBarlow!
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 20:52:39 »

Seems we now have Broad going for a scan on a dodgy heel.

If worst were to come to worst and Finn and Broad missed the first test ....... The team could be ...

Cook,
Root/Compton,
Trott,
KP
Bell/Bairstow
Patel
Prior
Bresnan
Anderson
Swann
Onions

I still think I would want Panesar but think England will go with Onions to start with, with the 3 seamers and 2 spin options.

Neither Root or Compton have made runs yet so they will have a second innings shoot out as surely Cook will come back in the final warm up game.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 21:40:23 »

For me Bairstow hasn't done enough yet to start....good player and his time will come.
With KP turning the ball as a part timer and Patel in good form i dont reckon there will be a place for Monty.
Have a feeling Compton will start in the first test.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 22:19:54 »

For me Bairstow hasn't done enough yet to start....good player and his time will come.
With KP turning the ball as a part timer and Patel in good form i dont reckon there will be a place for Monty.
Have a feeling Compton will start in the first test.
Really? Only 2 batsmen have scored 100s in the warm ups - Cook & Bairstow.

I might be inclined to think about moving Bell up to open - I don't think Compton or Root are ready.

I would also seriously think about whether Pietersen walks back in. Morgan scored runs in the warm ups, so might stick with him. Pietersen's spin is negated by the fact that Patel has won a place as a second spinner through his batting.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Monday, November 5, 2012, 15:13:18 »

Compton made 60 odd in the 2nd innings, along with Monty/Samit taking 3 wickets each...seems a solid performance and we're adapting well to the sub continent conditions...I do expect Flower & Co have learned from the Pakistan (UAE) and Sri Lanka tours last winter, so hopefully we're setting up nicely for a great series!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 54   Go Up
Print
Jump to: