Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 54   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Winter Cricket Thread  (Read 87703 times)
kerry red

« Reply #120 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 17:09:04 »

England should ditch the limited overs cricket and stick to what we do best . . .

. . .  cycling!!!
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 17:19:46 »

Or rowing.

If we could find a sport that involved racing a boat in wheels we'd be kings ;-)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 17:20:48 »

Pedallo Racing?
kerry red

« Reply #123 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 17:24:11 »

Freddie Flintoff would come out of retirement for that one
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 20:12:31 »

That was another poor performance all round, not good enough to progress. Patel batted extremely well but to be 18-3 chasing 170 leaves with little chance. We gave them 20 too many and at one point they were only on for 150-160, which was chaseable! The selection of Bopara was a poor one...firstly I don't rate him and he's been given so many chances, but I do feel for him in this instance as he was put in at the deep end. He didn't score many runs at the end of our season, so what prompted the selectors to play him today when he hasn't had a knock for god knows how long has baffled me!

Sri Lanka or Australia as winners for me!

#VivaKenBarlow!
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 20:14:44 »

FWIW, I think the super 8's was about par for England.

Positives:
Steve Finn - Bowls at serious pace and is a real wicket taker up front.  Here to stay in all formats for many years to come.
Luke Wright - Two decent knocks against Afghanistan and NZ.  Something to build on and the forthcoming one day tour to India will be another learning curve.  Been around a while now though so really needs to make the chance tell.
Samit Patel Batting Today - An England batsmen capable of working spinners for ones and two and able to find the boundary.  He will bat further up the order in the limited format stuff especially in the sub continent.
Eoin Morgan - His back must be killing him carrying the England batting.
Buttler/Bairstow in the outfield - Electric quick and safe as house when catching.

Negatives:
Jade Dernbach - Does he have to many slower ball options for his own good?
The Top 3 - To often England found themselves 1 or 2 down early and rebuilding hence the powerplay was wasted and england behind the eight ball.
Ravi - Another Ramps? Ramps had the odd success at international level at least.  I felt for him today.  Everyone knows he was out of form and I felt he was a lamb put out to slaughter today.  Maybe a while before we see him again. If ever?
Keeper - In an ideal world Prior would make runs in the limited overs teams and that would sort that.  I thought giving Bairstow the gloves today was a bit desperate.  In low slow conditions he will never have seen before that was tough.  I think for the one dayers they will go back to Prior.
Lower Middle Order - All the other teams seemed to have players at 5, 6, 7 who could clear the ropes.  The England players never looked like consistently clearing them.  For the likes of Bairstow/Buttler this is all about learning.  Certainly in Jos's case, he isnt going to very often find the environment he has at Taunton, with a small ground, flat track and some 70mph dobblers.  We saw Buttler dismantle Wayne Parnell in the recent T20 in England, but against spin it seems to be a very different game.

I'm sure theres loads of others but i'm tired.

leefer

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 20:15:47 »

No Prior baffles me.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 20:19:21 »

Some very good points FCB, have to agree with what you say!

I would like to add that I think KP was missed at the top of the order during this tournament, especially as it is/was a young, inexperienced team. A poor attempt at defending our t20 world champions crown, but lots of positives to take from it for 2 years time!

I think KP will be missed on the tour to India and I hope the whole situation is sorted sooner rather than later. It's ok saying it has been but he's still available and personally I would have him in the team if things can be sorted before the India tests get under way!

#VivaKenBarlow!
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 20:28:41 »

I think KP will go to India.  He will apologise and be added to the squad.

India will probably play 3 spinners and one will take the new ball.  Looking at the venues for the tests they will all turn, not massively but enough.

England will have to hope they can bat first and go big 450+.  If India bat first and go big I would worry.

Just seen that the next T20 world cup is in Bangladesh.  So conditions will be similar.  Hopefully the youngsters will be able to take what they have leanrt here to that.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 17:28:23 »

India beat South Africa by 1 run,but neither side qualify for the semi-finals.

Semi-final lineup on friday.

Sri Lanka vs Pakistan

Australia vs West Indies

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 19:04:35 »

I would like to add that I think KP was missed at the top of the order during this tournament.

Reckon the ECB agree and have realised they can't do without him. Hence their sudden change of tune - looks like an apology of some sorts and he'll be on the plane to India. It was madness not taking him to the T20.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 21:56:16 »

Just seen the Andy Flower interview Jonny on SSN, looks as though there will be an announcement of some sort tomorrow on KP!

#VivaKenBarlow!
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 09:30:39 »

India beat South Africa by 1 run,but neither side qualify for the semi-finals.

Semi-final lineup on friday.

Sri Lanka vs Pakistan

Australia vs West Indies

I reckon:

Pakistan to beat Sri Lanka
Aus to bt WI

Pakistan to win final
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 09:43:46 »

Just seen the Andy Flower interview Jonny on SSN, looks as though there will be an announcement of some sort tomorrow on KP!

Will be interesting to see how they for the first test.  There must be a temptation to push Prior up to 6 which would allow a second spinner probably Patel.

Cook, Root, Trott, KP, Bell, Prior, Patel, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Finn.

If Prior kept at 7.

Cook, Root, Trott, KP, Bell, Morgan/Bairstow/Compton, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Finn.

The second option would rely on Root being able to provide a back up spin option.  Panesar would be the obvious second spinner option but based on the England selectors way of making the batting as long as possible I dont see them playing Finn, Anderson and Monty in the same team.

Also apparantly Bell will miss a test due to his wife having a baby.  So will need to reshuffle for that as well.

In reality looking at the venues, I would want monty in there as the second best spinner, but dont see it happening.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 09:52:45 »

As said last night, KP return expected for India: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/19783259 ...IMO great move!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 54   Go Up
Print
Jump to: